XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Transmission issues S3 XJ 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 01:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission issues S3 XJ 6

Hi,

I bought sight unseen an XJ6 S3 with trans issues. The car was in a much better state than I thought, and the previous owner had a file full of bills of all the repairs done. On his last drive the transmission failed as there was a substantial leak.
The car has a Borg Warner 66, which was no problem to source out of a donor car. I checked the new transmissions before swapping it, and there were 0 metal flakes, just some dark sludge that I wiped out of the oil pan. I changed the filter and the gasket of the pan and refitted the transmission and filled it with Dexron 4.
The tranmission is making some noise in first and second gear, almost like a whining. Is there any chance to adjust this? Third is fine and the car changes up and down with no problems.
I also have a kind wobble at certain speeds in the driveshaft assembly. I am not sure if its the driveshaft or comes from the transmission. This can only be heard at certain speeds and under acceleration. Any ideas what this could be?

Any ideas on how to solve these two issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

Old 06-23-2024, 07:50 PM
Received 283 Likes on 118 Posts

If your low band is slipping it will make a noise similar to a whine. I would check the adjustment on the low band. If you have a wobble in the drive shaft the center bearing is most likely knackered. A noise under acceleration could indicate the transmission rear mount rubbers are shot. Given the age of the car either one being bad is not surprising.

Old 06-24-2024, 11:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Metalbasher! How do I check the adjustment on the low band? I cannot find anything on the interweb that is help for the BW66. I changed the transmission rear mount rubber, I gues it comes down to the centre bearing that needs replacement. Means that I have to take the exhaust of once again...

Old 06-24-2024, 11:19 AM
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Panarabic

Very interesting thread from my view because my 1984 exhibits the same noise in at least 1st. It may have been going on for a long time, but I didn't notice it until after I replaced my transmission mounts (so as the first reply mentions, this isn't a cause in my case). As far as I can tell, the noise isn't getting any worse. I know I used to notice it in reverse. But since the transmission mount replacement, I hear it when starting off from a full stop in 1st until it shifts into second. Shifts are great and I don;t notice any slipping or anything strange function-wise.

Old 06-25-2024, 07:54 AM
Received 223 Likes on 121 Posts

Hi Muttony, I also need to replace my trans mount. Any tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Ian

Old 06-25-2024, 09:43 AM
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

There's a couple different mounts depending on Series IIRC. I didn't find it that difficult of a job really. There's a procedure for it in the manual and I followed that. The only novel thing I did that was a bit different and I can't remember exactly how I did it but it worked was to use a board with a big enough hole drilled in it to jack up the mount so you can attach the nut. This will make sense when you review the procedure. Some people have used a set of boards nailed/screwed together to make a "U" so you can get a ratchet in, but I found cutting a hold that I could put a socket through worked just fine. I also have a Engine support that goes over the engine bay so that may have had something to do with it as I didn't have to hold up the engine from below. Hard to remember, but just shoot me a line if you have any questions.

Old 06-26-2024, 09:21 PM
Received 283 Likes on 118 Posts

Sorry for the tardy reply Robert.. The low band is accessed through a small plate in the side of the transmission tunnel (LH side). It has a square profile stud held tight with a lock nut. To check the adjustment, Loosen the lock nut and back off the stud 2-3 turns. Tighten the stud to 7 Nm and then back off 3/4 of a turn. Tighten the lock nut (make sure the stud does not move).

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (06-27-2024)