Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to locate a fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Trying to locate a fuel leak

My S1 has brand new S3 gas tanks and S3 filler caps. All the O-rings and gaskets are brand new. The fuel sender is
not leaking nor the feed or return lines.

I have a gas leak onto the ground while filling the LH tank. It happens near the end when the pump reaches the
automatic shut off.

There is a hose onto the front of the cap that is rotten.. there is a "restrictor" inside the hose... that hose
appears to go up into the C pillar area... but the parts picture on the CD is so poor in that area I cannot tell the
path of the hose.. where the other end is?

Does someone know this information? I need to replace that hose.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
There is a hose onto the front of the cap that is rotten.. there is a "restrictor" inside the hose... that hose
appears to go up into the C pillar area... but the parts picture on the CD is so poor in that area I cannot tell the
path of the hose.. where the other end is?

Does someone know this information? I need to replace that hose.

I'm facing the same dilemma exactly. Hopefully someone will chime in. The hose goes the venting system somewhere but I haven't figured out exactly where. It's #112 on my 'to do' list.

David Boger was nice enough to send me some pics of a disassembled car but it didn't clarify the matter for me. And what I can see of the venting system on my car doesn't see to quite match the illustrations in the ROM

I was figuring the answer would be obvious if I dropped the tank......but perhaps not

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

appears to go up into the C pillar area...
Forgot to mention.....

A while back I had the c-pillar trim off for a good look-see on my '85. The hoses from those vapor condensers do not appear to go to the fuel tank vent nipple.

I *think* there's a pipe running left-right that the vent nipple hoses attach to. I just haven
to been able to find it...yet.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Default S1, SII and SIII cars are so different

I have photos of a SII, that shows the cap line coming from under the cap area...my S1 line comes from the vapor lines in the rear package tray area.

It looks like Jaguar kept trying to make things better and I have the first/worst version for replacement purposes. S3 is supposed to have all the vent lines inside the boot area.

David Boger sent me pictures showing the vent line differences between the various models of Jaguars.

It looks like I have to drop the tank again, reach inside the rear package tray and find the other end of the hose... pull it off and then thread a new one into the cap area.. that is why I did not change it while doing the tanks.. not very easily done and poor photos. Hindsight is so wonderful!

Plus, there is a restrictor inside the hose right at the filler cap that will need to be inserted in the new hose (C33043) in the parts picture 24 77 for a S1. That picture is so poor I cannot tell how things went together - hence this posting and my email to David.

Plus this vent line is a "odd" size and not at the local O'Reilly Auto Parts.. will have to hunt around for the correct vent hose size = about 3/16 ID.

At least the fuel sender problem and all else is working fine now..

The following users liked this post:
Doug (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 06:47 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Forgot to mention.....

A while back I had the c-pillar trim off for a good look-see on my '85. The hoses from those vapor condensers do not appear to go to the fuel tank vent nipple.

I *think* there's a pipe running left-right that the vent nipple hoses attach to. I just haven
to been able to find it...yet.

Cheers
DD

Hey Doug!
The hose on the filler neck on the Series 3 goes from the filler neck, straight to the vapour cannister that's in the C post... There are three hoses off that vapour canister... One goes to the filler neck, and the other two disappear into the boot... I'll see if I still have those photos on hand...

David
shop.everydayxj.com

Old 02-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Here are some photos that I had on Jaglovers, and one from my site... It shows all of the locations of the pipes...

These uploaded kinda weird... The Red Car is a Series 1 (First and third photo)... The White car is a Series 3 (2nd and 4th photo)

David
shop.everydayxj.com

Attached Thumbnails Trying to locate a fuel leak-snaps_resize_59e5fb15b58822d4becda440d9fe87f9.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-snaps_resize_75f5f502603e51e78f25bbfc4d248a80.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-snaps_resize_ab45c33f5aceba6ed19090b08b4fc605.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-snaps_resize_bc4396dcd73781a3fa50b1b33678c864.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-snaps_resize_f34d7844274babd9a5ef9ad42ea85276.jpg  

Trying to locate a fuel leak-tn_480_car18.jpg.jpg  

Last edited by davidboger; 02-21-2016 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davidboger:
Doug (02-21-2016), Rhett (02-22-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks!

So, on a Series III, judging from pic #6, the tank has to come out to replace the hose? Yes?

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 09:30 PM

Thanks!

So, on a Series III, judging from pic #6, the tank has to come out to replace the hose? Yes?

Cheers
DD
Well, that's the question... I've never personally done it, but I think that a hose can be fed from the interior of the cabin, and through the hole in the body leading to the filler cap... Then cut to length, connected to the vapour canister and then all is put back into place...
At least in theory, that should work... and "I think" i've gotten some positive feedback on that hypothesis....

David

Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Default I am going to try that method tomorrow on my S1

Before dropping my LH tank again, I will try to change the hose from the filler cap area and the package tray.. I have the filler cap out already. Plus the parcel tray top part is loose due to the car getting ready for a bare metal paint job.

First I have to find the correct size emission hose.. looked today but no success.. 1/4 inch ID is too big and the next common size is way too small.

alynmurray (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Default Definate answer - Hose to Filler cap replacement

Hey guys.. You sparked my curiosity so I decided to get a definate answer for you...
There is no need at all to drop the tank to replace the hose.
It is probably easier with the filler cap assembly removed, but I don't think it's necessary.
Once you remove the C post cover, the rear parcel tray, and the trim at the edge of the rear glass, it's all pretty accessible.
Two pipes go into the trunk, and attach to hoses just above the boot lid hinge.
One pipe goes straight through the body and onto the filler cap. Probably only about 5" of hose is necessary.
There are no clamps on any of the hoses.
There is a small piece of foam that covers the hole where the vapour pipe goes through the body towards the filler cap.
From there it's a straight shot...

Here are some photos, courtesy of shop.everydayxj.com ....

David

Attached Thumbnails Trying to locate a fuel leak-img_1139.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-img_1141.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-img_1142.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-img_1143.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-img_1144.jpg  

Trying to locate a fuel leak-img_1145.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-img_1146.jpg   Trying to locate a fuel leak-img_1148.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by davidboger:
alynmurray (02-22-2016), Doug (02-22-2016), hooter (08-13-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

So, pic #5 (top row, far right)...

That foam pad is seen and reached from the package tray area?

Cheers, and thanks !

DD

Old 02-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Default Managed to change the fuel filler cap vent hose

I first started the day trying to emulate my gas fill up "leak".. I got five gallons of gas and with the filler cap off, I filled to the very top, where the flap in the filler cap would be at in the bottom of the cap and above the return line tube inside the tank. No leak...used less than two gallons in the test... so the amount lost at the station was 1-2 gallons.

I first tried pulling from the cap area on the hose and only managed to break the hose in half... it had been on the other end too many years to come off easily, of course.

I determined that the only way was to disconnect the retaining screws on the vent tubing inside the package tray area and pull out the tube (top one) that goes to the fuel filler cap nipple. I was then able to push the old hose off the end... It is funny that the end of the hose came off the tubing and dropped down in the tank area?... I removed the curved valance cover to get at it and confirm there were no leaks.

I finally got the old hose out and have a replacement going back in place with the old restrictor installed near the filler cap end of the hose.

That was fun since I had to first pull back all the new sticky sound insulation I had that covered all the package tray area. That black vinyl cover over the metal plate was fun getting out since I have a third brake light stuck to the rear window on top of the black vinyl "thing".

The path for the hose is very short and is almost a direct line.. I posted the picture with a metal spring hook in the filler cap hose hole and the other end visible through the window.

The other two vent hoses end up in the trunk area and are more easily
replaced. The pictures David already posted show them pretty clearly so I will not post the ones I took.

I can only assume now that my leaking was caused by putting too much gas into the tank and it then runs out the water hose drain and out the filler cap vent hose since it was rotten and down into the curved valance area.

Never happened in many years of filling up the Series 1 tanks!

Attached Thumbnails Trying to locate a fuel leak-short-hose-path-vent-tube.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 02-22-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Forgot photo
The following 4 users liked this post by Roger Mabry:
alynmurray (02-22-2016), davidboger (02-22-2016), Doug (02-22-2016), LnrB (02-23-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

great thread on a subject not often discussed.. I have a folder on my PC that is a collection of bits and pieces of info about various sections of the car.
The only good info I had in the folder about vent hoses, was from Dave Boger one of the best "straight goods" guy. If anyone knows these cars its David and his company EverydayXJ.com (damn,.. hope I got that right) His was the only comprehensive explanation about this vent system, that I could find searching the 'net from time to time. And now there is more info Thanks everyone. The smell of gas fumes in the car takes all the fun out of it, and once you enter the maze of what is the mysterious venting system, and come across the hidden separators, its easy to lose your way. Great stuff.

davidboger (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 06:27 PM

So, pic #5 (top row, far right)...

That foam pad is seen and reached from the package tray area?

Cheers, and thanks !

DD
Doug... Yes, the foam is under the rear parcel shelf...

Roger... The old hose that was on my car fell into the abyss of the tank cavity... being a parts car I wasn't too concerned with it. It does sound like an odd event going on with the fuel running over.. Are you using an electric crossover or a T in the boot? Perhaps the fuel was syphoning into the tank (?)

Thanks for the positive feedback Alyn... Stuffing parts in boxes and shipping them out is OK, but it's really quite enjoyable to dig into some of these cars and figure out how things work.

Cheers!
David
shop.everydayxj.com

Old 02-22-2016, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davidboger
Doug... Yes, the foam is under the rear parcel shelf...

Gah! I feel like such a dope. I had that all apart and never saw it. I only saw the two pipes that go into the trunk. Guess I should've rooted around a bit more

Oh well, I had it apart once. I can take it apart again!

Many thanks for helping!

Doug

Old 02-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

I finally got the old hose out and have a replacement going back in place with the old restrictor installed near the filler cap end of the hose.

What size/type hose did you end up with?

Cheers
DD

Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Default Fuel hose from a "old style" auto parts store

Doug

When I have a real parts need, I go to my old local parts store... not a chain store. Guy had a spool of fuel hose that fit the cap end tightly... has to be correct fit or the restrictor will move around in the hose and do nothing.

There were no markings on the spool or the hose itself.. I wondered the same thing.. bought eighteen inches and the one hose to the cap is only
about six inches long. Have a small piece I saved for "future" needs with a label where I purchased the hose.

This is stiff hose and it is very hard to get it onto either end.. I put it on the cap first and then cut to size after getting the vent tube in place... had it sticking through the rear hole about three inches... need about 1.5 inches to cover the vent tubing... getting it on that end is also "fun" but my Series 1 did not have any "barbs" on the vent tube ends so that end is much easier but with a little "lube"... then I put the vent retaining clips back on that hold it all in place.

Very hard place to work in and it would be a job when the rear window is removed to change all the hoses at that time.

I put silicone sealant on the holes in the rear package tray and will confirm they sealed properly today.. still have the "black" trim piece
to re-install in the rear of the package tray.

The other hoses in the trunk are easy to change and they were in good shape. I put fuel hose clamps on their ends to keep out any fumes. It all might work better when the fuel return lines come into play after doing the fuel injection conversion in the next weeks.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 02-23-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Doug (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Those old-timey parts places are the best. I know of one oldie store that still has wood floors, exposed rafters (plumb full of goodies) and that certain smell of wood and oil.....you know what I mean...delicious !

I've had great luck with my local NAPA, though. It's in an industrial/farming area so the guys are familiar with something other than just Hondas and F150s. They have all sorts of tractor/industrial/farming/hydraulic 'stuff' that often suits my needs. When you ask for something weird they don't just give you the 'deer in the headlights' look and/or ask "What year and make?" .

I've done all the other fuel hoses in the trunks. I'm just furious with myself that I didn't see the vent hose stuff when I had the parcel shelf out for repairing!

Cheers
DD

Old 02-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

There is still one "oldie" type parts place in neighboring Lafayette.
A bit of the old and a bit of the new. But, the guys are not completely computer limited. I've been there with odd parts over the years and they find it or a suitable replacement.

Another, a bit more modern evolved in W.C. But, still useful for odd stuff. I needed barbed connectors for the transmission to radiator lines. Cr guy type brought out a neat pair. Straight. He suggested, I bend them at 90 degrees. My tubing bender did it neatly. Even son remarked, "where did you get those?". Slick.

As to hoses, just under 1/4". perhaps the local small engine shop where the yard maintenance guys/gals shop.

Or a metric type for "foreign" cars?

Acquirium place? Surgical supply?

Carl

Old 02-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Default Cannot see any hose in the package tray

Doug

Do not beat yourself up.. you cannot see any hose material in the package tray.

The vent tubing is cleverly (?) bent to allow the tubes with the hose to stick through holes.. the two in the trunk (in a S1) are accessible. The fuel tank
filler cap hoses you can only see at the filler caps...

Quick Reply: Trying to locate a fuel leak