XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

? trying to understand starter motor connections

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 05:19 PM
Received 243 Likes on 140 Posts
Default ? trying to understand starter motor connections

hi: i'm trying to understand what the multiple terminal connections are for on the starter for my 87 xj6. this first photo is from the rebuilt lucas starter from oriellys that i installed 2 months ago. it worked good until yesterday when i only a single click noise when i turned the ignition key to start.

? trying to understand starter motor connections-7rj0gxs.jpg
when i installed this 2 months ago, i connected the cable to the left post (the one with the nut on it) and i attached the red/white wire with the female connector to the one of the two male prongs but i don't remember which one.

? trying to understand starter motor connections-uxi6xcg.jpg
this is the replacement starter orielly gave me to install. apologies for the photo quality as i had to take a photo of my computer screen since the starter is still installed. i connected the cable to the post that's on the bottom in this photo (a the 6 o'clock position) but it's on the left if you looked at it from a side view just like i did with the firstly installed stater. i connected the red/white wire to prong at the 3 o'clock position. with these connections the starter motor spins (the engine does not crank as the solenoid is not being engaged) when i connect the battery without the key in the ignition at all.

? why is just the starter motor spinning when the battery is connected
? why are there 2 posts on the solenoid
? why are there 2 smaller width prongs and one large width prong on the solenoid
? is there any other way to check the wiring connections other than dropping the starter

Old 10-15-2021, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,904 Likes on 7,165 Posts

Your big cable goes on the upper lug.

The white/red wires goes on one of the smaller male terminals at 1:00 or 3:00 o'clock. I don't know which one. Try both and see what happens....with a bit of 'fingers crossed'.

The small male terminal connected to the larger upper lug is just an extra "+" connection point for additional wires/function that you don't have. The white/red wire does not go there.

It's common for replacement starters to have different configurations and extra, unused terminals. They're made with enough terminals to work in a variety of applications. The instructions will usually give a clue. What do they say?

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,260 Likes on 5,410 Posts

I wrote this up one time, maybe it will help you understand.
How the Solenoid works.
(';')

Old 10-15-2021, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Your big cable goes on the upper lug.

The white/red wires goes on one of the smaller male terminals at 1:00 or 3:00 o'clock. I don't know which one. Try both and see what happens....with a bit of 'fingers crossed'.

The small male terminal connected to the larger upper lug is just an extra "+" connection point for additional wires/function that you don't have. The white/red wire does not go there.

It's common for replacement starters to have different configurations and extra, unused terminals. They're made with enough terminals to work in a variety of applications. The instructions will usually give a clue. What do they say?

Cheers
DD
Doug: so just to be clear, when you stated, " your big cable goes on the upper lug" you are referencing the upper lug at the 12 o'clock position as shown in the second/lower photo. if that's the case then i have the installed starter wired incorrectly as i have the big cable attached to the bottom (6 o'clock position) as shown in the second/lower photo. please confirm if i am understanding you correctly. thanks, ren

Old 10-15-2021, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
I wrote this up one time, maybe it will help you understand.
How the Solenoid works.
(';')
thanks LnrB. i have a better understanding of the inner workings of the starter and solenoid after reviewing your write up and looking at the photos. i get confused when there are multiple lug/posts and male terminal connectors and i only have one battery cable and one wire with a female terminal connector to attach. ren

LnrB (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,904 Likes on 7,165 Posts

Originally Posted by retroren
Doug: so just to be clear, when you stated, " your big cable goes on the upper lug" you are referencing the upper lug at the 12 o'clock position as shown in the second/lower photo.
Yes. 12 o'clock

if that's the case then i have the installed starter wired incorrectly as i have the big cable attached to the bottom (6 o'clock position) as shown in the second/lower photo.
That's why the starter spins as soon as you connect the battery cable

Cheers
DD

Old 10-15-2021, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Ren, take a look at this photo and see if it helps you with wiring.

All starters are wired basically the same. At the top of the solenoid, the Large bolt Opposite the starter body connects to the battery lead.

Notice that the Lower bolt (may or may not be the same size) *Always* connects the solenoid to the starter windings. It sounds in your first post that you connected the Battery lead to the wrong bolt. That would certainly cause the starter to run as soon as you connected the ground strap to the master ground/earth.

You may have slightly different small wires as Doug mentions, they may be mirrored to mine and I don't have spade connectors, but ALL starters of this era are basically the same. Only the bolt-up pattern and snout configuration changes from one brand to the next.
(';')

LT1 jaguar (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 608 Posts

Elinor, you are good at it, aren't you.

Dave

Old 10-16-2021, 09:28 AM

All starters are wired basically the same. At the top of the solenoid, the Large bolt Opposite the starter body connects to the battery lead.

Notice that the Lower bolt (may or may not be the same size) *Always* connects the solenoid to the starter windings. It sounds in your first post that you connected the Battery lead to the wrong bolt. That would certainly cause the starter to run as soon as you connected the ground strap to the master ground/earth.

You may have slightly different small wires as Doug mentions, they may be mirrored to mine and I don't have spade connectors, but ALL starters of this era are basically the same. Only the bolt-up pattern and snout configuration changes from one brand to the next.
(';')
hi: thanks. so now i know for certain where to connect the cable. as far as the red/white wire with the female spade connector, i am thinking i should connect it to the male prong at the 3 o'clock position referencing my second photo taken off my computer screen. any thoughts? ren

Old 10-16-2021, 11:27 AM

(';')
hi again: i removed the starter. upon inspection, i noticed the male prong at the 3 o'clock position is narrower and the connection is very loose. now the male prong that is at the 1:30 clock position has a much better fit. now i'm thinking i should attach the red/white wire to the male prong at the 1:30 clock position.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

wild card !! Ford. and my old 71 Hornet AKA Rambler. the solenoid is remote and only serves as an electrical connector and has no mechanical function

Old 10-16-2021, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by retroren
hi again: i removed the starter. upon inspection, i noticed the male prong at the 3 o'clock position is narrower and the connection is very loose. now the male prong that is at the 1:30 clock position has a much better fit. now i'm thinking i should attach the red/white wire to the male prong at the 1:30 clock position.
Ren, when in doubt I always put wires back where they most naturally want to be, as I'm thinking they usually get bent into the proper position.

In the case of spade connectors, I have found several different sizes. If you have one female that seems too big, then by all means try it on the other male especially if it seems to fit better there.

I can't speak to the proper Jaguar wire colors as mine are Green and Black, it being a Restomod of some decades back and seriously messed with.
(';')

Old 10-16-2021, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Indeed, the GM method of starter exitation and the Jaguar method are very similar.

Carl

Old 10-17-2021, 07:04 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone that gave me very helpful and timely advice. I was able to wire, install and start the car with the latest rebuilt. Thanks again. Ren

The following 2 users liked this post by retroren:
JagCad (10-18-2021), LnrB (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations, Ren!!
Now quick before the snow flies, get out and DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF for a little while!
(';')

retroren (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Around here it is 'when th rain drops fall.... " Take off from old Freddy Fender...