XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Unknown part -help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown part -help please

Hello i'we been having some problems with my jaguar xj6 series from 1974 to start when cold. after eliminating all the other possible problems ( fuel pump, carburetors, ignition ) i come to believe that the problem comes from this part
does anyone know what it does or how it works or how is even called in order to be able to change it or replace it ??

here are some pictures
https://beta.postimg.org/image/tt0vyhi85/
https://beta.postimg.org/image/l9cwmzkhx/

thank you very much for your help
any advice is more than welcome

Old 03-27-2016, 03:52 AM
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm no carb expert, but if that is a fuel feed line I would just check flow to the carbs for starters, I'm sure the clever chaps will chime in.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:01 AM
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,861 Posts

I could be wrong but the series 2 were fitted with an automatic enrichment device for cold starts....I believe they were not very reliable. Mine has been converted to a manual choke which is old school but simple. I read somewhere that they are repairable.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:30 AM
Received 10,504 Likes on 6,936 Posts

That is an Upper Cylinder Lube unit, or the remains of one.

The bottle holding the Lube liuid is missing, as is the hose from that bottle to that spare spigot.

Down here we have the likes of Flashlube, Moreys, etc.

It has nothing to do with Cold Starting.

The AED is missing, so I reckon it has a manual choke.

That spigot will be giving a HUGE vac leak, which will be reeking havoc. Follow the 2 hoses and remove them and plug the 2 points at the carbies.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Daf11e (03-27-2016), Jag7651 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Marvel Mystery oil as a top cylinder lube. Just Snake oil at best, 'in my opinion. I could not open a full size picture with those links. Only
a thumb nail.

I've a similar device that I fooled with decades ago. IU made mine from a Mason jar. Used to preserve fruit and vegetables, way back when.

I used a mixture of water and alcohol. "Water injection. Principle good, execution backwards. Injection needed at WOT! No vacum there so no squirt!. My efforts to use a windshield washer pump and a micro switch on the throttle linkage got close, but not there.

So, it merely decorates the wall.

Yeah, a vacuum leak can easily mess things up.

Carl

Old 03-27-2016, 12:30 PM

thank you for your answers
i'm sort of a newbie at mechanics so from what i understood is just an artificial device made by the prior owner in order to increase fuel eficciency

me and me mechanic when we made several test it seem to us that the spigot was used to give a gas boost on the cold start up .. ( the problem is that because of this the gas does not come all the time _ pump is in good condition)
when we switch the valve ( spigot ) it gives an extra boost of gas but does not allways work
is attached to a wire so i believe that it was used to electronically be switched on before starting the engine

if you can please explain me or help me understand
tks

Old 03-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

That unit is like a change over valve it was used a lot here in NZ in the 1970s and 80s when running our cars on LPG (liquid petrolium gas) or CNG(compressed natrel gas) We still kept our petrol tank and with a switch on the dash wired to that device it would change from one to the other the reason being the LPG and CNG were cheeper than petrol as our Government at the time subsidised the cost of fitting during the fuel crisis. I have used that same valve on my series 1 and 2 when the AED unit (Automatic Enrichment Device)was no longer working properly. By flicking a swith on the dash or console it would put put fuel direct to carbs or inlet manifold for cold start and once the engine is running switch off and engine should run as normal. I would think that may be the AED is faulty and that has been fitted as a cold start. If that is the case it is unusual to see the AED still in place as i used to remove them not much good there if they dont work.
Cheers Ray.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 PM

thank you -On Edge- i tend to believe that it's to doing or used to do the same thing on my car