XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Updated Garage Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Updated Garage Photos

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Garage Portal

Not sure how linking to "My Garage" works. I've added some of the latest progress photo's to my garage. Not pictured: radiator, trans cooler, and oil cooler are in. I never say "for good". I sometimes feel I will wear out the threads on some of the bolts before this project is finished.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,367 Likes on 796 Posts
Default well i like and respect it!

Looks good too me! That's gonna be quite a handfull with a big block and a 3.54 rear gear even with the altered taller 700r4 planet set. I have a sbc 406 with a 700r4 and traction is a major performance limiting issue. What are you doing for rear tires and wheels? Where did you get the traction plate? Was it fabricated? HAs anyone else tried it on the track or is this your idea and first try? Whats the advantage to it? Less wheel hop, Axle twist? I was going to run some DOM tubing to the traction bar mount on the tail of the 700R4 like GM did on the Camaro to limit axle twist. My XJ6 monster is a coupe, has an Auburn LSD, bigger Wilwood brakes & ABS too.

Eye spy... 400 trans mount on the traction plate...KYB shocks, engine torque limit cable, nice weld on the reinforement, NiCop lines for what I dont know, lots of time detailing the engine bay. Nice work.

You may want to consider a rear IRS from a late XJS with outboard brakes becasue they have stronger rear hubs. The hubs crack on the cars with inboard brakes. I didnt believe it until mine cracked after 2 months of occasional driving...and this was before I was making serious power on a good tune.. . I've posted a picture of it in the past. With BBC torque you are guaranteed to crack one. Could be disasterous.

Last edited by icsamerica; 05-28-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Default That's gonna be quite a handfull

Icsamerica,
Thanks for the feedback and compliments.
The traction plate it a take off from one designed by Rob Wade on Jag-Lovers. I think there are youtube's of his car in action. A friend of mine has a copier in the fab shop that translated a stock tie plate to a print, then we added the extension to the print. Plate was cut on a CNC. Mount used is actually for an older Mustang. Theory is to keep the basket from rolling. Other's say it will create rear steer. Radius arms will have urethane bushings and all pivot points will be rebuilt. I'll be using uprated basket mounts from SNG (no affiliation). Entire rear underside will get the same treatment as under the hood.
The NiCop lines are fuel and trans cooler lines.
The welds in the boot are those of a local craftsman. He also built the exhaust system from the headers back. System is 2 1/2". Wanted three, but there would be ground clearance issues.
Handfull? On Dyno day we cranked out 485HP at 5800 and 530ftlb at 4300. It's making 375 HP @ 3800.
I'm still in the research mode on tires and wheels. I have the stock chrome's with 215 70 15's. I purchased a set of steel wheels with the intention to widen them to 7". This will not work in the front, as the widened wheels will interfere with the upper control arms at tight turns, full suspension extension. May just widen one set for street slicks for the rear.

Attached Thumbnails Updated Garage Photos-local-craftsman-work.jpg   Updated Garage Photos-front-exhaust-bracket-transmission.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Default going to add antifreeze tomorrow

The album says I have 25 pictures remaining. Does that mean, the project's done? And I get to go out an buy another car?
Additional photo's from the end of today in the shop.

Attached Thumbnails Updated Garage Photos-img_1515.jpg   Updated Garage Photos-img_1511.jpg   Updated Garage Photos-img_1506.jpg   Updated Garage Photos-img_1503.jpg   Updated Garage Photos-img_1512.jpg