Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V12 series 3 distrubutor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Default V12 series 3 distrubutor

Hi all

I've been attempting to set the timing on my car, as I understand it the timing is set with the vacuum line to the vacuum capsule disconnected, I've done this and I see she retards her timing slightly with engine speed when she should advance it quite a but. The problem is her weights are stuck, they move if I shift them, but they require a little force.

What is the best way to go about freeing these weights up? Do I need to take it apart further?

Also, how do the weights influence the timing? Is the shaft of the distributor a 2 piece item? Do the weights twist it?

Many thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:35 AM
Received 10,476 Likes on 6,918 Posts

Nathan,

Cap OFF, Rotor OFF, add a few drops of diesel FUEL down the centre hole. Have a few drinks, work that shaft CAREFULLY, add some more fuel, work it again, drinl some more, etc, in whatver order rocks your boat.

TIME is the key here. They will free up if there is any movement to start with, as you have.

Once freed, a few drops of Synthetic Engine oil down the hole, and repeat every year.

The centre shaft is a 2 piece affair.

Of course, you could pull the distributor and strip it down and de-gunk that shaft, your choice.

The wieghts move "outward" with centrifical force as the shaft rotates. The springs keep them "under control" and this outward movement ADVANCES the timing. It is a preset science dialed in by Jaguar and Lucas.

I have only ever stripped one distributor in all I have done, and that is many, so the time/drink/fuel/drink does work.

The following users liked this post:
NathanDD6 (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Many thanks Grant

At the time you responded I was putting everything back together. I opted for the "total removal" option, worked well, plus you get to know your car better. She is now running like new again (been a long 8 months) not as complicated as I thought, I moved the weights first using a flat screw-driver followed by some special penetrating, freeze-shock spray, mine had been jammed for over a year due to the previous owner.

Thanks again for the reply.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (09-22-2015)