XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

v8 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v8 conversion

i want to make my 1985 jaguar xj6 v6 quicker and more power by putting a chevy v8 engine in what else would i need.... my engine blew last week and need a new one help please

Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Do your home work.

1. Engine swap regulations in your state. Caveat, Failing to comply with the reg's in more restrictive states lowers the value of the car should you contemplate a sale.

2. Get manuals from Jaguar specialties, JTR and Johns cars.

3. Search each on line.

4. Shop for an engine trans and related. an entire car might be best.

5. LT1, LS series, or even TPI.

6. I'd not mess with carb'd cars.

7. Write up a budget. It isn't cheap.

If I could only find my "lump Thoughts" paper, I'd share it.

Carl

Old 06-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

I'm the local conversion proponent her on the forumns. Having done many...I love them.... when done right. I bought a convert that was poorly done and had to re do it. Many conversion are poorly done because people and the shops that do then underestimate the amount of time, skill and money required to do one right.

Since you are starting with a fuel injection car...the quickest and lowest cost way to get from where you are now to where you want to go is to use a 92 to 95 LT1 with matching 4l60 transmission with stand alone wiring harness and PCM with fan control. I have done so many I now stock and sell the harnesses on ebay. Done this way they are smooth, reliable and very fast with room for upgrades such as gears, roller rockers, heads and even 383 strokers. Feel free to PM me on the subject.

Look up my LT1 jaguar conversion on you tube under icsamerica

Old 06-04-2015, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

From ICS " Many conversion are poorly done because people and the shops that do then underestimate the amount of time, skill and money required to do one right."

I dont know what its like in the US , but here it seems that its an easy majority that are poorly done. That was my experience when buying. Mine was done pretty well, just very tired and unloved for a long time and a couple of small items missing, which is far better than having items butchered.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

I suspect that we'll be seeing more and more sanitary conversions in the future.....and fewer hack jobs.

Remember, back in the 70s-80s-90s the V8 conversions were the *inexpensive* alternative. Faced with a dead motor and a $5000-$7000 repair bill, a $2500 engine swap looked pretty good. If there were some loose ends and sloppy appearance to the end result it wasn't that big of a deal. Their Jag was back on the road, after all! As the years roll by more and more of these cars are ending up in the scrapyards. Even with a V8 installed age takes a toll, after all.

Nowadays, though, I think we have more people doing V8 conversions because they ** really want ** a V8. They're hobbyists and performance enthusiasts who get a lot of satisfaction from doing nice work. I've seen some absolutely splendid workmanship in V8 conversions. It's very obvious that the owners not only took pride in their work but also spent quite a bit of money. For them, the V8 conversion isn't a "low cost alternative".

Cheers
DD

Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Jaguar never made a V-6 motor in 1985. So, if you have a V-6, then any GM V-8 will probably fit right in. Jags were a double overhead cam in-line hemi six cylinder. The Daimler had a V-8, but only in Daimler and Dart.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Naah, I6 vs V6. Just a nomenclature thing.

Indeed the XJ series left the factory with DOHC in line 6's.

Well, except for the delightfully complex SOHC V12.

Bolting the V8 in place is the easy part ! Tis he electrics that are the challenge.

Been there. Not the most elegant, but far from the worst.

Carl

Old 10-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Default Looking for headers

Hello looking for a set of headers two put in a 85 xjs coupe engine is a 454 chevy with oval port heads. If you know of someone that has a set or a place
i can buy them or a part number for a set that will fit. Thanks Steve

Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Having had one LT1, I would go to LS series

The LT1 with the front mounted distributor, Optispark, was a GM shame. Next conversion I do will be with a totally modern LS series engine and appropriate transmission. This engine was just before they resolved all the problems and the PCM is not modern. Had way too many GM problems with this series engine. These LS engines have a great conversion package available from Jaguar Specialties with after sale support that is second to none.

My SBC engines in other Jags worked way better....

Originally Posted by icsamerica
I'm the local conversion proponent her on the forumns. Having done many...I love them.... when done right. I bought a convert that was poorly done and had to re do it. Many conversion are poorly done because people and the shops that do then underestimate the amount of time, skill and money required to do one right.

Since you are starting with a fuel injection car...the quickest and lowest cost way to get from where you are now to where you want to go is to use a 92 to 95 LT1 with matching 4l60 transmission with stand alone wiring harness and PCM with fan control. I have done so many I now stock and sell the harnesses on ebay. Done this way they are smooth, reliable and very fast with room for upgrades such as gears, roller rockers, heads and even 383 strokers. Feel free to PM me on the subject.

Look up my LT1 jaguar conversion on you tube under icsamerica

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 11-03-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Roger, to each his own. Your cars are certainly great.

Roger:

Yes, an LS is far more advanced. A new design all the way. Alloy all the way.
And an advanced engine management system.

However, the LT1 was the ultimate in design progress of the iron block SBC.
OBD I easier to deal with and quite sophisticated. The PCM had features not
needed in a conversion. OBD II dealt with emission a tad better.

Early Optilites had issues. Vapour related. A slick vent solved that for the most part. I've read that leaking water pumps left un fixed let water into what
was supposedly a sealed distributor. My car's after market electric water pump
eliminates that risk. I did install anew Optilite. it ought be good for my lifetime...

Coil on plug and related is certainly better.

Many have done LS install with success. Even more have done LT1 installs.

Dollars: Lt1 vs Ls. Guess.

I am more than pleased with my LT1. could I live with an LS install, guess....

Carl

true, an LS is a

Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info but i'm putting a 454 chevy with a carb. not injected. Looking for a set of headers or exhaust manifolds. Thanks Steve

Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Don't know where you are. Johnscars of fort Worth Texas offered a kit
to make that conversion at one time. Possibly still does. But, fussy about selling only components. Wants folks to buy the entire kit.

Alternately, if you have the equipment and skills, just get a pair of flanges and some tubing. U bends to cut curves from.

And, a good header shop can make up a set in situ. Probably for more than a few busks, though!!

But, decent headers are not cheap either....

Carl

Old 11-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I will tell you now, if you want to convert believing it will be cheaper than rebuilding or sourcing another engine- it won't be.
If you want to convert because you want a V8, or a better performing vehicle in every way, then go for it.
Two things I would ensure I had on any conversion- 4 speed auto and EFI. Early GM EFI engines are very straightforward to wire in and install. It's a well trodden path and solutions abound.
I don't have anything against carbed engines (I've owned a few very, very nice ones), but given you can't go near a wrecking yard these days without stubbing your toe on an EFI V8, why wouldn't you go EFI?

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member

Probably because in Australia we dont have the heritage/legacy of 10s of millions of carbed Chev V8s. A lot of skill , familiarity , after market support and cheap gas.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 PM

It doesn't matter how cheap the engine to be swapped is, it will still be cheaper to rebuild the original engine.
Why anyone would replace a dead engine with a cheapo, wheezy, worn out V8 to "save money" and expect success is beyond me.

Originally Posted by yarpos
Probably because in Australia we dont have the heritage/legacy of 10s of millions of carbed Chev V8s. A lot of skill , familiarity , after market support and cheap gas.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Fair enough, I must have missed the part about buying a cheapo, wheezy, worn out engine. That would certainly be a bad choice when you have so much choice.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Cheopo, wheezy worn out????? Nonsensical. The SBC's are capable of 200,000 miles and more. So why not a healthy 100,000 mile engine. For fsar less tha the rebuild cost of the OHC?

And, whew, a carb engine install eliminates any electrics complications.

Although, EFI is so much better....

Carl

Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 PM

How long, and how much money did it take to convert your car to a V8?
Originally Posted by yarpos
Fair enough, I must have missed the part about buying a cheapo, wheezy, worn out engine. That would certainly be a bad choice when you have so much choice.
If you sit down and crunch the numbers, it costs about the same or less to actually rebuild the original engine. No one seems to take into account the costs of wiring, conversion parts, labour etc.
I am assuming it will be a wheezy SBC because my experiences with the first generation of them indicates they are well on the way out at 100k miles, and anything in a junkyard will fall into that category. A very good friend of mine went through two SBC's in an Impala over a six year period.
Originally Posted by JagCad
Cheopo, wheezy worn out????? Nonsensical. The SBC's are capable of 200,000 miles and more. So why not a healthy 100,000 mile engine. For far less tha the rebuild cost of the OHC?

And, whew, a carb engine install eliminates any electrics complications.

Although, EFI is so much better....

Carl

Last edited by Typhoon; 11-13-2015 at 06:17 PM.