XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

VDP vs Non VDP Dash Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 01:08 PM
Received 315 Likes on 137 Posts
Default VDP vs Non VDP Dash Questions

Having had to remove the tach and speedo from my Series 3 VDP to swap the bulbs to LEDs made me question why Jaguar decided to recess the gauges in the VDP cars and not the "normal" XJs. Was this just to be different?

Are the VDP dashes and non VDP dashes the same except for the thickness of the VDP wood that allows the gauge trim rings to be flush with the wood? I know the VDP cars used different wood veneer. I like the look of the non VDP dash with the gauge trim rings being proud of the wood, but keeping the darker burled walnut veneer. I have an extra non VDP dash and glove box that I could have refinished in the dark burl.

Also, anyone have a known source to buy replacement chrome trim rings for the Tach, Speedo and 4 smaller gauges? I saw a picture of a dark burled walnut dash with raised gauges with chrome trim rings that looked sharp and I am thinking I would like to duplicate that look.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,941 Likes on 7,188 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
Having had to remove the tach and speedo from my Series 3 VDP to swap the bulbs to LEDs made me question why Jaguar decided to recess the gauges in the VDP cars and not the "normal" XJs. Was this just to be different?
As far as I can tell, yes. Just to make it different from the base models

Are the VDP dashes and non VDP dashes the same except for the thickness of the VDP wood that allows the gauge trim rings to be flush with the wood? I know the VDP cars used different wood veneer. I like the look of the non VDP dash with the gauge trim rings being proud of the wood, but keeping the darker burled walnut veneer. I have an extra non VDP dash and glove box that I could have refinished in the dark burl.
Same, except for the differences you mentioned.

Also be aware that 1987-newer did not have a hole for the oxygen sensor warning light

Also, anyone have a known source to buy replacement chrome trim rings for the Tach, Speedo and 4 smaller gauges? I saw a picture of a dark burled walnut dash with raised gauges with chrome trim rings that looked sharp and I am thinking I would like to duplicate that look.
Personally I've not seen chrome rings specifically for these gauges. However, the existing rings can be removed (very gently) and polished. They're soft aluminum, a bit delicate. Chrome rings from other Smiths or similar gauges might work. I dunno.

Cheers
DD

.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-28-2023, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Doug. I read somewhere that MGB trim rings may fit. My only concern would be getting the same bevel on all the trim rings if sourced from multiple sources or trim rings that come off different car models. I have extra gauges with black trim rings, I wonder if these could be stripped and chrome plated? I also read where someone tried doing just that and said the black coating was some sort of anodizing and nearly impossible to remove even when sanding and gave up and painted them flat black. This may have been in an XJS car, not sure.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

the Series 2 gauges are similar size and chromed. I have one or two Series 2 gauges including a tach.

your best bet is to find a complete set of Series 2 gauges and just change the frames.

or contact www.speedycables.com in the UK, they might have them in chrome.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:53 AM
Received 114 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree with Jose that SII gauges might be your easiest option. I had an '84 SIII for a while and the previous owner had installed SII gauges for speedo, tach and 2 of the 4 smaller gauges. It's a nice look with the silver trim on the perimeter of them.

The following users liked this post:
Jose (12-01-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 07:24 PM

My plan, or at least my idea/intention, source a Series 3 non VDP dash for its thinner wood, have it re-veneered in burl walnut to retain that special feature of the VDP cars and possibly source some Series 2 gauges for their chrome trim rings. Are the Series 2 and Series 3 tach and speedometer connections the same? More research to do.

It appears that the trim rings on the Tach and Speedo may come off easy enough once a few tabs are bent up, but on the smaller gauges it appears the trim rings are pressed on and there would be no way of removing them without damage. If I can source replacement chrome trim rings, then I would be less worried about damaging the original black trim when removing.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,941 Likes on 7,188 Posts

The Series II gauges, except very late production cars, did not have chrome bezels...but they had black/silver bezels like this

All think all the electric connections are the same; not 100% sure.

All Series II speedometers would be cable drive. Early Series III cars have cable drive; later (1983-ish and later) cars had electric speedometers

Series II cars did not have the bulb failure warning system so a Series II tach or speedo won't have that warning light

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
yachtmanbuttson (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 09:17 AM

Thanks again Doug.

I just picked up a non VDP dash complete with gauges off eBay for $320.00, which I feel is a good price given all that is included.

The wood will be re-veneered in burl walnut, but be the thinner style so the gauges stand proud rather than flush as on the VDP cars. I "think" I may have found a source in the UK for chrome bezels, but I will have to do some close measuring with my calipers to confirm fitment. They would be full chrome and not just the chrome edge trim like the Series II.

The following 2 users liked this post by MSGGrunt:
Doug (12-01-2023), yachtmanbuttson (12-02-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 09:52 PM
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

MSG, if your source for the chrome bezels works out would you please share their contact info? I think that would be a cool tweak on my XJC. I do remember mgb's of some vintage having chrome bezels. On our cars they twist off with a little downward pressure iirc.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:33 PM

I will definitely share any findings.

Old 08-22-2024, 01:52 PM

Revisiting this project. It makes me wonder, why the relief cuts?

From Madera Concept's site:

Vanden Plas style XJ Series III dashboard pictured is our Jaguar XJ Series III Dashboard and Glove Box Door O.E.M. Replacement set - made specifically for the Vanden Plas models. (this dash was made with Burled Walnut)

As you can see, there is a relief cut on the outer edge and at other strategic places, which is necessary for the Vanden Plas. Non Vanden Plas models do not have these relief cuts.

Old 08-22-2024, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
Revisiting this project. It makes me wonder, why the relief cuts?
The relief are so that the gauges, AC vents are padded trim are recessed compared to the XJ6 dash.