XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Want to Emmigrate to Australia, from America with my 1975 XJ6-Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:28 PM
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Want to Emmigrate to Australia, from America with my 1975 XJ6-Coupe

I am marrying my Australian sweetheart and moving to Brisbane. I am considering bringing my 1975 XJ6-Coupe. I can remove the complete drivetrain and convert it to electric, before I ship it there, if that simplifies the importing.
Can anyone tell me what is involved, in the importation? I will be packing a shipping container with the car and all of my tools.
Thank you!

Last edited by Giovanni LiCalsi; 02-13-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Congratulations!

Yes you can bring your car with you, and there is no need to pull it to pieces either.

If you are emigrating you are allowed to personally import 1 car each, so long as you have owned it for more than 12 months.

When I moved back here I used these guys to make the import arrangements Iron Lady Imports can highly recommend them.

It's a little odd to have a LHD drive car down here, but given it's age (historic vehicle) it will be registerable, no problems.

The following users liked this post:
Giovanni LiCalsi (02-16-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Congratulations Giovanni! Looks like Clarke will have another starter for the Brisbane get togethers in due course.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 4,018 Likes on 2,894 Posts

And another congratulation......be great to have you down here!

Old 02-14-2016, 03:35 AM
Received 10,566 Likes on 6,978 Posts

Congratulations from way down here.

Another Coupe being kept alive, well done.

Clarke will be all over that like a rash.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Congratulations Giovanni!
Let us know when you are here, we have regular get togethers.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Thank you guys!
You're making me feel very welcome.
My sweetheart says that she may feel strange driving the car on the wrong side, but she does know how to use a stick shift.
I will need to find a good painter. The body is in excellent shape. It's a Californian rust-free car. It was sold new, from Haron Motor Sales, in Fresno, Ca. Haron Jaguar | New Jaguar dealership in Fresno, CA 93721
It just needs a respray. What types of paint are being used? Only water-based paints can be used, in California. I would rather have acrylic enamel or polyurethane based paints.
What's your opinions, guys?

Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,441 Likes on 5,459 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni LiCalsi
...My sweetheart says that she may feel strange driving the car on the wrong side, but she does know how to use a stick shift....
She'll adapt as well as you will, Giovanni (girls are more adaptable than guys). Bear in mind, you'll be the Only one around driving on the correct side of the car! hahaha

Sometimes I see an old RHD Healey motoring around in town, gray haired owner seems to negotiate Rong Hand Drive just fine.

I know I'm a little late, but congratulations.
(';')

Old 02-15-2016, 12:39 PM

Thank you!

Old 02-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

An advance welcome to our shores Giovanni, and congratulations!

Steering from the wrong side of the car brings its own challenges, whether LHD on the right, or V.V. (blind spots) but it's doable. There's a growing number of personal imports on our roads with steering on the wrong side. The registration laws were relaxed some years back, prior to which you would have required a permanent decal the full width of your rear end / rear screen "LEFT HAND DRIVE" in 4 inch block letters, warning other road users that this driver is sitting on the near side and can't see so well. That's gone now.

Re. paints: Local legislation requires water borne paint on all new vehicles. We're moving toward eliminating solvent based paints, but medium solids are still used for re-finishing. Many parts of the world (Western at least) have been moving aggressively at invoking the change to water-based high solids, so it will be worth shopping around - sooner rather than later.

Last edited by jagent; 02-15-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: modify
Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by LnrB
She'll adapt as well as you will, Giovanni (girls are more adaptable than guys). Bear in mind, you'll be the Only one around driving on the correct side of the car! hahaha

Sometimes I see an old RHD Healey motoring around in town, gray haired owner seems to negotiate Rong Hand Drive just fine.

I know I'm a little late, but congratulations.
(';')

LnrB, with the greatest of respect, you are misinformed!

When you drive on the left, you drive a RIGHT hand drive car, When you drive on the right,(the incorrect side of the road to be on in many civilised countries) you drive a WRONG hand drive car!?!?!

The following 3 users liked this post by andrew lowe:
Giovanni LiCalsi (02-16-2016), Grant Francis (02-16-2016), LnrB (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM

I will need to find a good painter. The body is in excellent shape. It's a Californian rust-free car.
Winters Smash Repairs (07) 32791064
37 Spine St
Sumner park
Brisbane
Qld, 4074

winterssmash@bigpond.com

This is a shop with very good reputation for quality resto work. I have seen a few they have done.
They wouldn't touch my car because I only wanted a partial respray and he wasn't prepared to put his name against it unless I went the full respray.
I do understand that and he was very nice about it, explaining only top class jobs leave his workshop.

I guess he is different with standard modern car insurance jobs. because he had a few jappers having partial repair and paint. But the classics and customs are different.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
LnrB, with the greatest of respect, you are misinformed!

When you drive on the left, you drive a RIGHT hand drive car, When you drive on the right,(the incorrect side of the road to be on in many civilised countries) you drive a WRONG hand drive car!?!?!

(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Giovanni LiCalsi (02-16-2016), Grant Francis (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Importing a husband to Oz

Ciao Giovanni,

With Clarke and Cameron offering you expert advice on local services and Aussie import regs, and Elinor poking a tongue in cheek stick at male vs female drivers, I am left to offer little but my warmest congrats and welcome.

For rescuing a beloved XJC, I join with Grant in awarding you 10/10. For capturing the heart of one of our gorgeous Aussie ladies, you score 6/10 . . . y'see they really are pushovers, but your lady scores 10/10 for courage! For setting up home in Oz, you score another brilliant 10/10 . . . but I regret this has slipped to 2/10 for choosing that northern village of Brisbane! Sorry Clarke, but you really get more hype than you deserve!

I do not yet see anyone warning you of Queensland's dreaded winters . . . you NA guys (North American? Normally Aspirated?) really have no idea about our arctic northern winters; the blizzards that roll in from that frigid state's mountain peaks; the lives lost each and every year as folk freeze. Those roads that remain open are deadly treacherous; snowcat rescues are daily acts of outright heroism; perhaps the greatest hazard being those vehicles which have ground to a halt as they freeze into the icy road surface.

Stock up now on all the fleecy long johns you can find; buy several layers of anoraks . . . it may not prove romantic, but it is best to be safe and sure, eh?

Best wishes and welcome!

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Giovanni LiCalsi (02-16-2016), Grant Francis (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Ken! How Incredibly Delightful to see you in here again!!
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
cat_as_trophy (02-15-2016), Grant Francis (02-16-2016), o1xjr (02-15-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Ciao Giovanni,

With Clarke and Cameron offering you expert advice on local services and Aussie import regs, and Elinor poking a tongue in cheek stick at male vs female drivers, I am left to offer little but my warmest congrats and welcome.

For rescuing a beloved XJC, I join with Grant in awarding you 10/10. For capturing the heart of one of our gorgeous Aussie ladies, you score 6/10 . . . y'see they really are pushovers, but your lady scores 10/10 for courage! For setting up home in Oz, you score another brilliant 10/10 . . . but I regret this has slipped to 2/10 for choosing that northern village of Brisbane! Sorry Clarke, but you really get more hype than you deserve!

I do not yet see anyone warning you of Queensland's dreaded winters . . . you NA guys (North American? Normally Aspirated?) really have no idea about our arctic northern winters; the blizzards that roll in from that frigid state's mountain peaks; the lives lost each and every year as folk freeze. Those roads that remain open are deadly treacherous; snowcat rescues are daily acts of outright heroism; perhaps the greatest hazard being those vehicles which have ground to a halt as they freeze into the icy road surface.

Stock up now on all the fleecy long johns you can find; buy several layers of anoraks . . . it may not prove romantic, but it is best to be safe and sure, eh?

Best wishes and welcome!

Ken
Thanks Ken,
The exact location is Toowoomba.
Maybe I should install artillery tracks, on the old cat?
Haha!

Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Just make sure the aircon works :-)

Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 PM

I pulled the aircon geared vacuum control module and replaced the micro switches, cleaned and greased the gears. I replaced the vacuum vent dampers and all of the cheesey vacuum air tubes. I also replaced the thermostat amplifier with the new improved version, by John's Cars of Texas.
Also replaced the radiator core with a V-12 core and replaced the clutch fan with a stainless steel flex fan. Installed an oil cooler, too. A remarkable difference, in performance!
I can cruise slowly in downtown traffic, at 105 degrees Farenheit without breaking a sweat, car or myself.

Last edited by Giovanni LiCalsi; 02-16-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default **TOOWOOMBA WEATHER ALERT ** - snow avalanches expected!!!

Thanks Ken,
Haha!
Nah, Giovanni, but if you arrive before summer lets go, I have a mate in nearby Warwick who would fit you up with their Jumbo Snow Plow!

Oh . . . and please don't tell me your sweet Aussie girl hails from this place Toowoombah? Y'can't always trust those Queenslanders, y'know.

Cheers,

Ken

Giovanni LiCalsi (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 AM

Thanks Ken,
Haha!
Still less than hour to the thriving metropolis of Brisbane, and an easy 4 lane divided road all the way. Unless you like adventure, then you could take a network of great driving roads passing through many lovely small towns on the way to Brisbane.(my chosen route every time we travel to the Darling Downs.

Toowooba is a very pretty town in spring and summer. We have couple members out that way with S2's.

Want to Emmigrate to Australia, from America with my 1975 XJ6-Coupe-1280px-toowoombagpo.jpgWant to Emmigrate to Australia, from America with my 1975 XJ6-Coupe-toowoomba-_city_street.jpgWant to Emmigrate to Australia, from America with my 1975 XJ6-Coupe-toowoomba-_botanic_gardens.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 02-17-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Giovanni LiCalsi (02-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Want to Emmigrate to Australia, from America with my 1975 XJ6-Coupe