XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

want to put a chev 350 in my 87 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: want to put a chev 350 in my 87 XJ6

We did it on an XJS. Kit came with everything needed for install and directions. I will see if they offer same for yours.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there...just wondering what is wrong with the car that it needs an engine transplant...the idea sounds cool but i belive there is a big impact on resale value. I hear johns is the best out there though and I have been considering a kit of theirs for my tr7 by the way.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

when it comes to the transmission conversion, I disagree that John's Cars is "the best".

I have installed a few of John's XJ improvements, like the GMalt conversion, the rack bushing kit, but I won't install the GM transmission kit because, do you have an hour to listen?

I'll just tell you the best conversion is also the most expensive, very expensive, as in almost $8 grand, but it uses a Jaguar Gtrag XJ-40 transmission instead of the GM. So that's why everybody goes with the GM, because it's cheap, and cheap is as cheap does. So you end up paying around $4 grand to do John's, because not everything is included in the kit, and you need to modify the crankshaft, and a new starter, and this and that, so I don't buy the story that John's GM tranny kit is cheap either. When you add it all up, you're spending mucho dinero baby.

the bottom line for me is: if you're lumping your car with a Chevy engine, then you go all the way and go for a GM tranny.

but if you're keeping the XK engine, then you want a Jaguar XJ-40 tranny, which by the way, has a "Sports" setting that lets you shift "manually", and is a better match to the Jaguar engines no matter how you slice it.
good luck.

Last edited by Jose; 09-03-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

shipserv, post some pics in the XJS forum. Not much new content and anything interesting will spice it up.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Purists won't like your idea but I love it. A car with the looks of a Jag and the powertrain reliability of a good old gm. I vote for an ls1 .

Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the "Johns Cars" swap kit for the 350 engine. No complaints, very good instructions with the kit.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 295 Likes on 163 Posts

I think someone should do a kit that replace the crappy terrible unreliable Caddilac Northstar V8 with reliable Jaguar AJ33/V8 power.

Imagine that- the pimp like image, torque steer and cost of an old Caddilac with modern British reliability and refinement of a Jaguar

Old 06-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your not allowed to say reliability and Jaguar in the same sentence!!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porkenstein
Purists won't like your idea but I love it. A car with the looks of a Jag and the powertrain reliability of a good old gm. I vote for an ls1 .

Attached Thumbnails  want to put a chev 350 in my 87 XJ6-tumblr_l8gz78ncdg1qa7mum.jpg  
Old 07-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

John's is still around, good stuff, pricey.

go here for the inside stuff. using modern LSI-x engines and overdrive trans you get, lighter weight, power, quiet, FI, reliablity.

Andrew @
www.JaguarSpecialties.com

LUMPS enthusiast's Forum from Jag-lovers - the world's No 1

good luck geneo

77 xj6-c
95 Rover LWB
74 Alfa spider
37 Chevy 1/2 ton

Old 09-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

i used John's kit in 2001 to install an LT1 and 4l60E from a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in to my 83XJ. it took a whole lot of effort to get it sorted. But, a huge tech step for me and i was working full time plus at the time. I am immensely pleased with the result.
The wire kit from another vendor caused the most trouble.The guys at John's were huge help.

And, Andrew at Jaguar Specialties helped a lot as well. His kit uses a lot more GM stuff and might be just a tad cleaner in looks. Were i to do another, I'd definitely take a long look at Andrew's stuff.

i wrote a paper, "Lump Thougts " as a resut of that project. I'vde shared t woith others considering the project. If anyone wants a copy, contact me PMand I'll share. carl.hutchins1@sbcglobal.net.

The engine and trans cost me 2500.00. Much cheaper now.

Check my Garage for pics.

Carl

Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default I have three lumps - go with Suncoast = Jaguar Specialties

The John's kit has poor mounts and the engine moves around too much. Stay away from headers with either kit - they crack. Use the Corvette 2 1/2 cast iron Ram Horns and port them to match the gaskets.

Love my 200R over the 700R due to the better OD gearing and the lack of RPM loss in 1-2 shift. You can have the 700R redone with the new gears to avoid that RPM loss, but it costs much more money.

If you were in or near So Cal, you could use my SII 383/700R Lump stuff that is just rusting away. It has an early conversion that could be the one you are looking for? It is not any of the ones available today...

If I was doing it from scratch today, I would use the LS series engines and
modern automatic from GM. Reasonable performance/or great depending on the engine choice and very good mileage and reliability.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
The John's kit has poor mounts and the engine moves around too much. Stay away from headers with either kit - they crack. Use the Corvette 2 1/2 cast iron Ram Horns and port them to match the gaskets.

Love my 200R over the 700R due to the better OD gearing and the lack of RPM loss in 1-2 shift. You can have the 700R redone with the new gears to avoid that RPM loss, but it costs much more money.

If you were in or near So Cal, you could use my SII 383/700R Lump stuff that is just rusting away. It has an early conversion that could be the one you are looking for? It is not any of the ones available today...

If I was doing it from scratch today, I would use the LS series engines and
modern automatic from GM. Reasonable performance/or great depending on the engine choice and very good mileage and reliability.
Roger:

I have the utmost respect for Andrew's kit. His installs look great and seem tpo perform just as well. I also respect your opinions. And, after all, you did find the key to the engine mounts in the John's car kit. And, a way to service them.

My engine doesn't seem to do any excess wiggling on it's John's mounts. They mount on the most forward position on my LT1. That means the engine sits in a rear bias. A tad close to the bulkhead, but no issues there.

i chose the John's kit as I was working then and my time to chase down the shopping list was limited. Just some Saturday and Sunday afternoons to do the job. So, having so much of the parts right there meant a lot.

Now, it does feature down pipes from Sun Coast. Nicely done and fit the Ram Horns perfectly. i should have ported them, but didn't. And, I used High temp rv in lieu of gaskets, as per John's instruction booklet. Works just fine.

The 4L60e performs just about right. Not a hot rod, but spritely enough on take off. Cruises effortlessy and still has a punch with out shifting down. I had it over a hundred once and it had more to go. I'll likely not do that again.

Driveability is torque where driven most.

Carl

Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,937 Likes on 7,186 Posts

Carl! Tickled to see you here :-)

Hey, everybody....Carl is a wonderful guy. Always has good input and great stories to tell. We're lucky to have him here

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: want to put a chev 350 in my 87 XJ6