XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

What do these wingnuts hold?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 02:11 AM
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Default What do these wingnuts hold?

Even though Lady Mable has a lovely tight bum, thanks to some PO work, she still needs new saddle bags.

Getting up close and personal with her unmentionables, I have discovered some fixings that I know not what function they serve.

Wingnuts under fuel filler area.

What do these wingnuts hold?

Something under the parcel shelf. Not the seat belt anchor, surely? They are on a galvanised plate that is putty sealed. The rest is sheet metal.

I am intrigued.

Why wingnuts?

It's not a very easy place to access, so not like they need to be easily undone. Why not normal nuts like everywhere else.

Those crazy Poms, back in the day.

Over to you, brains trust.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Ha ha ! Yes, I found this diaphragm at the top of the outside of the rear inner wheel arch when I removed the fuel tanks on my 1980 XJ6. However I don't remember them having wing nuts, though. As I recall, I removed the putty and soaked it in rust preventative called Waxoyl, a product on sale here in the UK, and got it nice and flexible again. With the space left by removing the putty, I squirted this waxoyl into the forward section of the wheel arch, then put the putty back. I don' think I ever removed the diaphragm. It seemed to me it was there to stop fuel vapour getting forward into the car. There would seem no other logical purpose. I also found putty had been inserted into the crevice where wheel arch and wing met at a welded joint. This was a notorious rust point, but due to the putty, mine was like new, so like the other seal, I removed the putty, squirted in yet more Waxoyl and onto the putty and replaced it. Even though this was a 1980 car, the WORST for quality in Jaguar EVER, I neve got any corrosion on the rear wheel arches.
Of course I found plenty elsewhere and that was why the fuel tanks were out, to repair the back end incl a new valance, quarter panels and boot floor, plus repairs to the rear of the rear wheel arches. All a long time ago in the late 80s..........."back in the day"

Of course, you could always remove the diaphragm and have a look-see. Post photos if you do.

The following users liked this post:
Bosco15 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 04:19 PM
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Ha ha ! Yes, I found this diaphragm at the top of the outside of the rear inner wheel arch when I removed the fuel tanks on my 1980 XJ6. However I don't remember them having wing nuts, though. As I recall, I removed the putty and soaked it in rust preventative called Waxoyl, a product on sale here in the UK, and got it nice and flexible again. With the space left by removing the putty, I squirted this waxoyl into the forward section of the wheel arch, then put the putty back. I don' think I ever removed the diaphragm. It seemed to me it was there to stop fuel vapour getting forward into the car. There would seem no other logical purpose. I also found putty had been inserted into the crevice where wheel arch and wing met at a welded joint. This was a notorious rust point, but due to the putty, mine was like new, so like the other seal, I removed the putty, squirted in yet more Waxoyl and onto the putty and replaced it. Even though this was a 1980 car, the WORST for quality in Jaguar EVER, I neve got any corrosion on the rear wheel arches.
Of course I found plenty elsewhere and that was why the fuel tanks were out, to repair the back end incl a new valance, quarter panels and boot floor, plus repairs to the rear of the rear wheel arches. All a long time ago in the late 80s..........."back in the day"

Of course, you could always remove the diaphragm and have a look-see. Post photos if you do.
I will be inside the rear wing, cleaning up and treating the surface rust, today.

I never even considered removing the putty. I assumed that being 50 yo, it would be hard and brittle. But, if it is still pliant, I will investigate further to see if there is more treatment required behind the diaphragm. I will post pics, if I delve deeper.

​​​​I am pleased to see how little rust I am finding, so far. Hopefully nothing major, but time will tell.

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (09-24-2021)