XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJ Coupe (XJ-C) roof dimensions help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 07:38 PM
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default XJ Coupe (XJ-C) roof dimensions help needed

Hello all,
I thought I might put this out there to the collective wisdom and experience of the forum, in the hope that it might draw out some details. I have been asked to advise a friend who has a problem with his XJ Coupe. Prior to his purchasing the car (it is a 1978 model) the roof was cut-off to make it into a convertible. The usual chassis stiffening and an awkwardly-shaped soft top were added. A basically sound car, the time has come for him to start planning for a full restoration. When he bought the car, he always planned to replace the roof and return the car to original (but not concours) condition - he wants an XJ Coupe, not a convertible. So far as I know (as with the doors) fabrication began with standard panel pressings that were then cut and welded at the factory. I believe this to also be the case with the roof pressings. I am aware that the "C" Pillar was enlarged after road tests revealed excessive road noise, so that will also require custom fabrication. Subject to any information that comes in from here, at the moment, the plan is to start with the turret (roof) from a donor XJ Series 2 (rotten body currently sitting in a local field) and modify it to fit. My dream would be for someone here who says, "oh yes, I have the original cutting instructions and diagrams somewhere from when my Dad worked at Browns Lane in the 1970's", but I know that is next to impossible. So naturally, any information, advice or opinions will be most welcome and appreciated!
Many thanks,
Allyn.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I had a quick look at my copy of Paul Skilleter's book on Jaguar saloons and also on Wikipedia. The key thing is the XJ Coupe was based on the short-wheelbase version of the saloon, so if you get a roof of a donor car, it needs to be the short-wheelbase version as the roof from a long-wheelbase car will be too long. In addition to this, Skilleter writes that the rear roof pillar was widened, and to disguise the welding line, the roof was covered in vinyl fabric. However, in later rebuilds of these cars, the vinyl roof cover is usually removed so this might not be the real reason. In service and over time rusting occured underneath it so most rebuilds do away with it.

According to the Wikipedia article on the XJ Coupe, the Lynx and also Avon coach-building companies converted several saloons in to convertibles. Lynx a total of 16 which also had a powered hood, but there is little info on the Avon conversion; this website has some into: -
Simon Cars - Jaguar XJ
I wish you every success in your endeavours !

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 01-25-2021 at 07:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
imperialmotorcars (01-28-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts

why not just leave it alone as it is, and sell it? It might bring more money than a hardtop. Then find an original with its factory hardtop.
​​​​​​a lot easier.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:15 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Advise your client to sell the car on the world wide market and buy a complete coupe. They have their fans and he can get his money back out of it.

The following users liked this post:
imperialmotorcars (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts

right. It would be like reverse engineering a reverse engineering.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:47 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Oddly enough, six months ago or so while cruising EBay motors UK, I think it was, someone had a complete coupe roof for sale.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:05 PM

Thank you indeed Fraser for the guidance towards the Simon Cars website, I will have a look. Your points about Mr Skilleter's terrific book are spot-on, I have a copy and it is a great resource; fortunately the planned donor car is an early Series 2 SWB car. On my own XJ-C, I did indeed remove the vinyl roof. Usually I lean more towards keeping originality, but in the case of my own car, it certainly made for a far more elegant profile, IMHO.
Best wishes,
Allyn.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:14 PM

Thanks Jose,
Sound advice and I have certainly considered that option myself, but unfortunately in Australia, significant modifications to a vehicles structure (like rmoving the roof) renders the car (in most cases) an illegal conversion - our rules are very, very strict here. While there are some very limited exceptions, it really isn't viable. The car is straight and rust-free with all matching numbers, but requires a full respray - so this is the ideal time for bodywork. Finding a RHD, Australian delivered and unmolested XJ-C in Australia is almost impossible now because so few were sold here and the unfortunate 1980's trend of "backyard" convertible conversions.
I really appreciate your perspective on this!
Best wishes,
Allyn.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:17 PM

Yes, that would be my "Holy Grail"... great tip though and another great escuse to spend more time on ebay searching for classic parts!
Much appreciated!
Allyn.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJC for sale

I actually have an XJC roller for sale. I bought the car with hopes of restoring it but the floor and fenders were rustier than I thought. Ended up finding a better example. The everything above the belt line is in pretty good shape, including the side glass and interior. The car is located near Denver CO. I sold the V8 conversion, but otherwise it is a complete car. The only thing of note with the roof is it has a aftermarket sunroof. 1st $3k takes it. Just looking to recover some of my investment.

Eric

Old 02-05-2021, 07:37 AM

Sorry the resto' didn't work out Eric. A shame you aren't here in Australia. Best of luck, I hope you find a buyer soon!
Cheers,
Allyn.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Allyn. This my 1st Jaguar (been an Audi guy my whole life). I ended up finding a 1975 XJ12C that had been stored in a warehouse for the last 30 years (one of the 3 that was for sale in the Seattle area a while back) for less than the bodywork was going to run me on the other one. Working on rebuilding the motor and suspension right now. I have finally finished collecting all the "unobtanium" bits to do the Euro bumper conversion and manual swap. Going to be a fun project.

Eric