XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJ12 Potential

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 04:23 PM
Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
Default XJ12 Potential

I have been off the XJ6 radar for a while due to a later model Jaguar aquisition which is proving to be very enjoyable indeed. I still keep an eye on the classifieds to see if something interesting pops up and this week something has in the shape of a 1985 XJ12. The seller admits it has a California Salvage title which i'm not overly concerned with (until i run a VIN check). Apparently the car runs but has a coolant leak. It definitely ticks a lot of boxes, 7" outer lights, smaller Canadian bumpers, pepper pots etc. i spent a lot of time working to get my previous XJ6's engine re-built and working again so an not scared off the V12

For less than $4000 if this thing is a runner and the background check "checks out" i might be back off the Series 3 wagon again.

The colour looks close to a lot of options in the 80's so have to believe it a genuine color, albeit after a respray.

The following 2 users liked this post by rfarmery:
Jahmiata (03-04-2024), yachtmanbuttson (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,980 Likes on 7,212 Posts

Could be a bargain if the body isn't too rusty.

If you decide it isn't the right car for you I might be interested in it for myself

Cheers
DD

Old 03-04-2024, 05:15 PM
Received 223 Likes on 121 Posts

I was not aware that there were any "Canadian" bumpers. I thought they were all to US spec. It looks as if these bumper shock absorbers have been deliberately collapsed to push then inwards. A very common mod, and one I'm considering. 7" headlights is another flag as to the work that has been done. U/Can cars all had 5.5" headlights as mandated by law - so if it's a US car, someone has done some work to dress it up, perhaps for their own enjoyment. Not too sure about the aftermarket door guards, they remind me of Walmart. But, I could be wrong. I think this car may have had a few mods with the previous owners. But, like I say, i could be a bit wrong.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:07 PM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

There aren't any regional bumpers on series III XJs to my knowledge, those bumpers are fitted to UK and all other world cars.

You might be in luck with the coolant leak if that dark stain at the front of the car is how it's manifesting itself. The lower radiator hose is quite long and swells over time. once it swells it rubs on one of the front timing case bolts and ultimately splits - might be worth checking if you're going to look over this car.

Looks like a nice car and that colour suits it very well.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by iramphal
I was not aware that there were any "Canadian" bumpers. I thought they were all to US spec. It looks as if these bumper shock absorbers have been deliberately collapsed to push then inwards. A very common mod, and one I'm considering. 7" headlights is another flag as to the work that has been done. U/Can cars all had 5.5" headlights as mandated by law - so if it's a US car, someone has done some work to dress it up, perhaps for their own enjoyment. Not too sure about the aftermarket door guards, they remind me of Walmart. But, I could be wrong. I think this car may have had a few mods with the previous owners. But, like I say, i could be a bit wrong.
I am more confident on the Canadian import possibility. On my old XJ6, i changed to 7" outers, added the pepper pots and pulled in the bumpers, although the picture is not shown here the rear bumper has integral fog lights so call it Canadian or UK spec. Are you sure the Canadian cars received the 5.5" headlights same as US, i had thought it was only US DOT regulations that required "multi" headlight cars to have the same size lens.
Working with the seller on the VIN then will perform checks to hopefully verify reasons for salvage title and hopefully go and take a look at it.

Last edited by rfarmery; 03-04-2024 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hell-Cat
There aren't any regional bumpers on series III XJs to my knowledge, those bumpers are fitted to UK and all other world cars.
No, there were indeed two variants

The black part of UK/Euro/ROW bumpers do not protrude outward as far as the USA/NA bumpers. These pics show the difference

Cheers
DD

Old 03-04-2024, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by iramphal

Agreed on the bumpers. Canadian cars had the USA style.

An '85 V12 wouldn't be a USA Market car.

I'm wondering if this wasn't originally a Euro/ROW car that was brought into Canada. The placement of the side marker lamps looks slightly odd to me. They might've been added-on, as part of the import process, to meet Canadian requirements?

Interesting car; if a Euro/ROW car it might have the 12.5 compression engine!

Cheers
DD

Old 03-04-2024, 07:41 PM

Thanks all for correcting me. The side markers especially on the rear I have only seen on NA cars, my S3 XJ6 had identical ones fitted. The UK variants are a lot slimmer and more discreet and only on front, I cannot comment on ROW.
I hope to look at the car possibly this weekend after VIN checks. It will be interesting to see what sort of under bonnet decals are there, should be a good indicator of original market.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Look for labels in/on the driver's door/door jamb as well.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
rfarmery (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Look for labels in/on the driver's door/door jamb as well.
Yes, a UK market car does not have a door VIN sticker like the US/Canadian cars do. I suspect this is a European car, as only the Canadian market cars have bonnet mounted washer jets for the windshield.

Badges are easy to change, but see what's on the back. A 1985 Canadian car would be a Vanden Plas. In Canada, there was no XJ12 after 1982, the post 1982 cars were a V12 Vanden Plas. In Canada the upmarket 6 cylinder car was a Sovereign. In the UK, the Jaguar V12 cars were called Sovereign, and upmarket cars were Daimler Double Six's. Only in the USA market was there a 6 cylinder Vanden Plas. In the mid 80's there was a big trade in grey market Jaguars being brought into the USA, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was originally a German market car.

If you can, record the VIN number that is stamped on the cowl where the two braces come together. That can be decoded to see what the car was built as.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 03-04-2024 at 08:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Doug (03-05-2024), Mkii250 (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfarmery
I have been off the XJ6 radar for a while due to a later model Jaguar aquisition which is proving to be very enjoyable indeed. I still keep an eye on the classifieds to see if something interesting pops up and this week something has in the shape of a 1985 XJ12. The seller admits it has a California Salvage title which i'm not overly concerned with (until i run a VIN check). Apparently the car runs but has a coolant leak. It definitely ticks a lot of boxes, 7" outer lights, smaller Canadian bumpers, pepper pots etc. i spent a lot of time working to get my previous XJ6's engine re-built and working again so an not scared off the V12

For less than $4000 if this thing is a runner and the background check "checks out" i might be back off the Series 3 wagon again.

The colour looks close to a lot of options in the 80's so have to believe it a genuine color, albeit after a respray.

If you pass on it I’d be interested. I’ve wanted a brown XJ12 forever and I know I’m weird, but that’s the way it is. 😂

Old 03-05-2024, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,384 Posts

As Jagboi has stated this is NOT a Canadian market car. It is a European model (most likely a Sovereign model) fitted with the regulated sidelights - and the rear side lights have been fitted too far to the rear!

Last edited by sov211; 03-05-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

The rear side lights being too far rearward is what caught my eye as well.

If this was a grey market car, and it’s looking that way, it’ll be interesting to see if a new VIN was assigned.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-06-2024, 05:53 PM

So i am out of the running on this one for a couple of reasons, nothing to do with the car itself...

What i have found so far is the car was sent through auction recently and is now for sale by a small out of the way dealer, here is the link to the ad

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...722025703.html

The VIN has been a little odd, a couple of the online VIN checking sites seem to think its a 2012 and so does Craigslist. i checked with the Bureau of Automotive Repair in California where you can view past Smog test results and according to them its a 1985 car which is good news

One picture not included on the craigslist ad is attached which is what took me to the BAR site, if you just search on the VIN in your favorite browser it brings up previous pictures.
It also seems the coolant leak has been fixed as the ad was updated a couple of days ago removing the comment.

I hope someone out there can give it a home, it does look like a nice example

Old 03-06-2024, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

That VIN might be the ROW or "born with" VIN. If the VIN decoders you're using are North American/USA-centric then a ROW VIN won't compute. The USA VINS are configured differently.

Might make a nice project for someone but a little too rough for me. Interesting car, tho.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-06-2024, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 2,116 Posts

If that is in fact the "Jaguar" VIN, not a USA market VIN, that decodes to a Jaguar, trim level baseline Double Six, 5.3, left hand drive, automatic, German market.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (03-06-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
That VIN might be the ROW or "born with" VIN. If the VIN decoders you're using are North American/USA-centric then a ROW VIN won't compute. The USA VINS are configured differently.

Might make a nice project for someone but a little too rough for me. Interesting car, tho.

Cheers
DD
Its definitely not a princess, but has potential.
My biggest issue is the risk associated with buying this one, my thoughts going in are that whatever i spend, i need to be willing to accept a 100% loss, it's just a little too expensive for me to stomach a $4k loss.