XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJ6 restomod project

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default XJ6 restomod project

After completing a concours frame-up restoration of a 1961 Mk2, we've embarked on an aggressive restomod of a 1972 XJ6. Progress-to-date and project outline at XJ6.KrissMotors.com.

In addition to a brand new Chevy LS3 engine and electronic 4L65E transmission (essentially the same as the 2010 Corvette and Camaro SS), the differential was upgraded to posi-traction (Powr-Lok), a custom aluminum tank rests in the spare tire hold (dual tanks removed), and a Vintage Air Gen II Compact unit replaces the old A/C. Wiring harness will have a CAN bus architecture, including intelligent control of power windows and doors. Total interior re-do as well.

KRISS MOTORS

Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,382 Likes on 5,440 Posts

This sound like more MOD than RESTO.
It will be Very interesting to follow!
(';')

Old 12-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Indeed, me too. I visited the web site. Lots of eloquently described plans. too bad, only one picture.

I hope to follow as words become steel and other exotic materials.

Carl

Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Lots of eloquently described plans. too bad, only one picture.
There are hundreds of photos, diagrams, and drawings. Please use the right column topic links or top nav menu. Site is best viewed on desktop, not mobile device.

For example, this post outlines the EFI fuel system with lots of images.

Last edited by KrissMotors; 12-02-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Got it. Thanks. Lots going on. Real and pictured.

Carl

Old 12-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Very good article.. wish I had it when I started my '71 project. Odd that I chose to do the same idea of USB charging ports inside the console bin and use a Speedhut GPS...

My Vintage Air Front Runner assembly fits best.. they chose a "cheaper" way... I did my conversion in the late 90's with ZZ4 383/200R trans with the crate motor modified with different heads etc. Now mine is fuel injected.. they have the advantage of many years of engine and trans progress.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,367 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by KrissMotors
There are hundreds of photos, diagrams, and drawings. Please use the right column topic links or top nav menu. Site is best viewed on desktop, not mobile device.

For example, this post outlines the EFI fuel system with lots of images.

Nice web site work but it seems superfluous.

If you're gonna put it out there... I have a few questions and comments.

Nice custom tank and plumbing but where are you going to put the spare tire? I've seen many customizes do this at great expense and I see no advantage. It's just a lazy way out...order a single tank and plumb it up. It's better to get new OE style tanks and bridge them or use a pollack valve to retain dual tank functionality. This way you have space for a spare tire and 22 gallons of fuel. New Series 2/3 tanks are already set up for fuel injection and are a perfect fit.

Dont see when you couldn't complete the Auburn locker project. I did it a few times, it's been tested on the track... you may have read my posts about it.

In board brakes are week and the early rear hub carriers are a serious liability on an early car. They can crack in a performance application.

Dont see why you need two ways to adjust the hood release cables. You could have used the OE brackets, they're much cleaner and the adjustment is on the catch itself.

What about the front brakes? Those Series 1 non vented front brakes are not up to the task of slowing the speeds that can be generated with an LS3/4l65e

Last edited by icsamerica; 12-02-2017 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (12-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

Lots of interesting stuff ! It'll take me some time to soak it all in!

Cheers
DD

Old 12-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Wish people would leave these classic cars alone. Their aged technology (and associated foibles) is what makes them classic. Over mod and the classic is gone....

Restomod's have been the topic of spirited debate in here before and in many cases what may begin as a resto gets carried away to the extent of becoming mostly mod. Ian Callum's "recreated" Mk2 is a great example, not much Mk2 left in it. I recall the first time I saw it instantly finding it grotesque. What was he thinking? Beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beholder!

There ya' go, that's my subjective view, bound to stir the pot I'm sure

Old 12-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Tony:

Go ahead and stir ! That is what pots are for. good natured, of course!!!!

Whacking up good cars, just cuz, isn't my favorite. Far from it. But, I sure support one doing what one wants with one's property.

Some come out wonderful, some wacky, but worst of all, abandoned mid stream.

Carl

Doug (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent
what may begin as a resto gets carried away to the extent of becoming mostly mod.

Some do go overboard, IMO, and lose too much of the original flavor.

I certainly enjoy some enhancements....but I'm not so much into "recreations".

OTOH, the serious resto-mod crowd often provides lots of information and ideas (and methods, and resources) that others can find useful even if not going quite so far with their own project.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey, anything that keeps a Jag on the road for years to come is good in my book. Too many are in the wrecking yards or rotting in someone's backyard. Since I'm doing an LS swap also, I'm anxiously awaiting new updates.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

They used a professional approach to their mods... I believe that keeping the Jag look and upgrading components to modern stuff makes for a great/better vehicle. Just restoring it to 70's specs makes for a car
that barely works and lacks all the creature comforts of today's cars and modern reliability.. Would you pay 2017 prices for a new 1972 Jaguar?

Would be nice if they posted their "costs" and labor hours per job so one could figure out how much it costs to do all this type of work... I know as I have many, MANY hours is mine and lots of $$$$ over the past 17+ years. When one resells a car like this you cannot expect to get back your time and only some of the money spent. That is why you can save lots of money buying a finished vehicle over doing it yourself..but you gain lots of experience and satisfaction doing it yourself.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 12-03-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,382 Likes on 5,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabel
...Hey, anything that keeps a Jag on the road for years to come is good in my book. Too many are in the wrecking yards or rotting in someone's backyard....
Yes, and I can, at this very moment, take you past 2 (TWO) in the neighborhood in that very situation!

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
...When one resells a car like this you cannot expect to get back your time and only some of the money spent. That is why you can save lots of money buying a finished vehicle over doing it yourself..but you gain lots of experience and satisfaction doing it yourself.
If Nix ever goes up for sale, Someone will get a Whole Lot of car for a mere fraction of what's been rolled into it; starting from the original "Resto-Version" in 1986 when $6000 (!) was spent at the leather alone!!

I was advised early on NOT to add up the Ever-Growing NIX folder, and I've resisted up to this point, but we have Easily bought the car again, which number itself was a mere fraction of the original Resto-Version cost.

However, as Roger mentions, I have had a Whale of a lot of fun (not to mention anguish, frustration, anger and a bit of rage) putting all the criminal neglect right (ten years in the PO's shed, abandoned, neglected and left to rot).

Not only that, it's kept me off the streets and out of (most) trouble during the past 4, going on 5 Winters.
(';')

Roger Mabry (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

I agree there is an incremental gain in experience and definitely fun and satisfaction to be enjoyed from hands-on projects, it's why we do it. It's just that the preservation or sympathetic restoration route is my personal preference.

One thing is certain, we don't benefit financially from the hobby! The guys who buy completed resto's make the gains, seems every car that leaves the block at Barrett-Jackson is testimony to that by going for way less than the project cost.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, way back, at a time when I was enamored with Excel spread sheets, I had one for my Jaguar's costs. Then, I 'wised" up and abandoned it.

Hm,. a brand new 72 Jaguar!!! Just the "no CA Smog test aspect would tempt me. But, 60 or 70 grand!!!!!! But, if I was rich, which I am surely not, just mebbbe....

Carl

Old 12-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

As a Restomoder I have gone to far and lost the essence of one of my previous vehicle's [a triumph tr6 with a 1Jzgte VVTI]. This time around I find myself trying to preserve the Essence or the intent of the car if you will.
By improving the car with modern Jaguar parts. I am also fan of any one willing to put the effort into this type of documentation.
I love it!
please keep it coming!

Rusty