XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJ6 Series 2 Strombergs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ6 Series 2 Strombergs.

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been here, had a revolving door of Jaguars but have now settled on a 420G, MK X and a recently purchased barn find 1979 Series 2 XJ6. I'm in the process of trying to get the XJ6 on the road, but the twin Stromberg's are proving to be a pain so I'm looking for some advise/feedback please.

The thermal choke housings, or whatever they're called, are corroded beyond use and I'm looking to simplify the system with a manual choke set up. Stromberg's don't seem to have much love from the Jaguar community and as I have a set of triple SU's from my aborted MK X restoration, I'm thinking of using these on the Series 2.

Are triple SU's overkill? I also have a Series 3 XJ6 and had considered an EFI conversion for the Series 2, but am told the camshafts need to be changed; is this correct?

Or is there a way of running the Stromberg's without the thermal choke gubbins?

I'm not concerned about maintaining originality, I just want to get this beautiful girl running as efficiently as possible, with the least complicated carburettor set up possible.

I'm located in Australia, so cold starting isn't a particular worry for the few months we get of cool weather.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:59 AM
Received 260 Likes on 120 Posts

Would it be possible to substitute the strombergs form an early V12. They have a manual choke. I have 4 of these carbs. Where are you?

Old 04-13-2020, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,848 Posts

remove the SwrongBirds and use the 3-SUs and manifold setup.

you have SU Midel near you who can get you a cable choke setup and you end up with a more desirable car.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:10 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

A '79 should be fuel injected. At least here in Canada.

All Strom's have manual choke here.

Do you have a picture?

Only E Type triple SU's with manifold will fit, and they are big money.

Rob

Old 04-13-2020, 05:59 PM

I'm in Adelaide.

Not sure what to do now....

Old 04-15-2020, 03:04 AM

Here is a photo of V12 strombergs with manual choke. The choke is only fitted to the right hand carb. Do you think you can replace you forward carb with this one?
The best solution for you is to source a set of HS8 carbs. They are easily fitted with a manual choke and give the best performance. Fitting the triples will not be easy, and they may be able to be sold for more than you car is worth.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:04 AM
Received 3,965 Likes on 2,866 Posts

My series 2 has HS8’s fitted with manual choke and refurbished by SU Midel as Jose mentioned...a great result.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daf11e:
anjum (06-25-2020), Grant Francis (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 04:17 AM
Received 10,513 Likes on 6,945 Posts

Not sure on the passage way of the Stromberg thermal housing etc, but dull memory is it included coolant, so not an easy block off, again dull memory.

Those MK X carbies will be HD8 spec, and will/should fit direct to the actual manifold, as 2 only, The booster/master cylinder simply gets in the way for the 3, without a bucket load of work, and never really looks right. LHD, simple.
It was 20 years ago I sorted an aborted conversion for a guy, and it took days, and lots of "as you go" sorting. He only had the carbies and air cleaner spacers, no linkages, or joining rods etc.

The daughters car, we simply got the whole set off from a S2, linkages etc etc, and took hours to do. Back in the days U Pull IT just started.

HD spec carbies to manual choke, always was a nightmare, and HS spec were always substituted, as the Midel Kit for them is simple.

Linkage at the rear of the Inlet will need modification from Strom to SU, whichever spec you use.

I will PM you an Adelaide contact, as here is not the place for that.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:24 AM

Carbies need a clean Jim.

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 04:28 AM
Received 3,965 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Carbies need a clean Jim.
You noticed the smudge....damn.

Grant Francis (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 282 Posts

I have twin Strombergs on my S2 with manual choke kits from Joe Curto in NY. Meet Joe Curto - JOE CURTO, INC.

I did away with the water heater chokes. I don't find the Strombergs any more or less complicated than SU's. And I've owned and tuned them both on various cars over the decades.

Bill

The following 3 users liked this post by yachtmanbuttson:
David84XJ6 (04-15-2020), Grant Francis (04-15-2020), Undertaker (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've decided to persevere with the Strombergs as I've already invested time and money in refurbishing them. They are also part of the car's character and history and obviously worked fine until the car was mothballed by the previous owner. Will probably convert to manual choke as well.

Where would we be without the challenges of Jaguar ownership.

Cheers.

Grant Francis (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Undertaker

Where would we be without the challenges of Jaguar ownership.

Cheers.
The local pub, oops, they be closed, so maybe another Jag.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have driven a SII XJ6 for nearly 20 years and finally gave up on the Strombergs. The SII intake manifold, at least in North America was an interesting design, but garbage if you want any kind of performance out of the vehicle. I have spent so many hours over the years messing with those damn carbs if you have a different solution available to you, do it! Part of the challenge with the Strombergs on the XJ6 is that when they require maintenence, and trust me they will require maintenance, you need to unbolt them from the manifold to access the, the bowls, which is usually the problem, water in the line, stuck float valve, bad float, leaky gasket, etc.... I would also recommend getting rid of the "fuel cooler" or a better name is "fuel heater" the theory is great, cool the fuel by running it past the A/C line, but if your not running the A/C.... it is just bringing fuel to the top of the engine and cooking it. Especially when you park the car and go an errand. I wish you the best of luck getting the car going, but as someone who has missed numerous shows and otherwise enjoyable outings with the car because of the Strombergs.... save your self some frustration!

Old 04-21-2020, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2JagSyndrome
I have driven a SII XJ6 for nearly 20 years and finally gave up on the Strombergs. The SII intake manifold, at least in North America was an interesting design, but garbage if you want any kind of performance out of the vehicle. I have spent so many hours over the years messing with those damn carbs if you have a different solution available to you, do it! Part of the challenge with the Strombergs on the XJ6 is that when they require maintenence, and trust me they will require maintenance, you need to unbolt them from the manifold to access the, the bowls, which is usually the problem, water in the line, stuck float valve, bad float, leaky gasket, etc.... I would also recommend getting rid of the "fuel cooler" or a better name is "fuel heater" the theory is great, cool the fuel by running it past the A/C line, but if your not running the A/C.... it is just bringing fuel to the top of the engine and cooking it. Especially when you park the car and go an errand. I wish you the best of luck getting the car going, but as someone who has missed numerous shows and otherwise enjoyable outings with the car because of the Strombergs.... save your self some frustration!
Thanks for the feedback, I'm contemplating a set of twin SU's that are on eBay; problem is purchasing them without the Department of War and Finance knowing, and another box of parts arriving on the doorstep!!

Cheers.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Undertaker
Thanks for the feedback, I'm contemplating a set of twin SU's that are on eBay; problem is purchasing them without the Department of War and Finance knowing, and another box of parts arriving on the doorstep!!

Cheers.
If they are the ones for $350 - way too expensive. Add around $200 for overhaul kits. You may need them.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mekon
Here is a photo of V12 strombergs with manual choke. The choke is only fitted to the right hand carb. Do you think you can replace you forward carb with this one?
The best solution for you is to source a set of HS8 carbs. They are easily fitted with a manual choke and give the best performance. Fitting the triples will not be easy, and they may be able to be sold for more than you car is worth.
where do I get complete set of this Carb to buy?

Old 06-22-2020, 10:36 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

I hope I'm not breaking any advertising rules here, but I have these 2 carb/manifold sets from 420's.

$500 US each.

They should be jetted for a 4.2. Note there may be different thermostat and bypass hose arrangments.

I bought these as a good swap on Strom-equipped S1 XJ's. It gets rid of the secondary manifold, they look better, and there's more room around the rad area.

I looked at converting these to manual enrichment, but the cost is High. I think Burlen and others are aware that lots of people would like to by cheap SU's and convert, rather than pay large for E Type SU's.

Anyway, good luck,
Rob

Old 06-22-2020, 12:26 PM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton
I hope I'm not breaking any advertising rules here, but I have these 2 carb/manifold sets from 420's.

$500 US each.

They should be jetted for a 4.2. Note there may be different thermostat and bypass hose arrangments.

I bought these as a good swap on Strom-equipped S1 XJ's. It gets rid of the secondary manifold, they look better, and there's more room around the rad area.

I looked at converting these to manual enrichment, but the cost is High. I think Burlen and others are aware that lots of people would like to by cheap SU's and convert, rather than pay large for E Type SU's.

Anyway, good luck,
Rob

i will link up shortly