Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6C and XJ12C owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ianclements
Wow, that yellow looks really great.
Yes, I was pleased with the choice...especially against the tan interior. The car originally, was that greenish-yellow that some described as baby diarrhea. But, as a lifelong Vegas car, it had no rust anywhere.

Many people don't know that the coupes had a higher performance DOHC 6 than the sedans. It really accelerated and cruised like a Jag should. If I had one back today I'd update some of the electronics and find a more powerful a/c fan, but the rest would stay put.

I think the only design flaw Jag had with these cars was the trunk was left too long. Picture the XJC with a 12" shorter tail.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts
Default Yes!

Yes a shorter trunk would certainly look more modern,or racey,, but a lot of work.

i often thought that a shorter trunk on a XJS would have been great for looks also, if i had thoght of it back when i was restoring my XJS roadster, it would have been done ,but its finished so i'm not changing now.Darn!

anyway a good idea for a modded car!

ron

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
Yes, I was pleased with the choice...especiallyagainst the tan interior. The car originally, was that greenish-yellow that some described as baby diarrhea. But, as a lifelong Vegas car, it had no rust anywhere.

Many people don't know that the coupes had a higher performance DOHC 6 than the sedans. It really accelerated and cruised like a Jag should. If I had one back today I'd update some of the electronics and find a more powerful a/c fan, but the rest would stay put.

I think the only design flaw Jag had with these cars was the trunk was left too long. Picture the XJC with a 12" shorter tail.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6C and XJ12C owners out there?-r1-07368-022a.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 PM

I wish this site would let me see your pics (never had this occur on any forum I've been on). I'm looking forward to seeing what some of you have done with your "C"'s.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AristoCat

Does this include suspension components, cause that would be GREAT!!!
Apart from the prop shaft and door glass winding mechanisms mechanisms and electrics are identical. Interior is different between dash / centre console and rear parcel shelf.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Potential Purchase - Question on XJ6 Series 2 engines

Gentlemen,

After a spell away from the forum (having had to flog my rather splendid Super-V8 Daimler to fund my wedding earlier this year) I am back in the proverbial saddle and on the prowl for an Series 2 XJ-C (or is in XJC?) - preferably a Daimler Double Six Coupe.

Well, I was.

Without thinking I assumed the V12 would be the best bet, but during the search I began to hear noises (on other, loss knowledgeable forums) that the Straight Six 4.2 litre engine might be a better bet that the 5.3 litre V12.

This seems like something close to godless heresy to me, but there you are. I know nothing about these things and feel obliged to check it out.

And I have found a Daimler Sovereign Coupe (4.2 straight six) that rather tickles my fancy.

Do any of you have any opinions on this? I'd be very grateful for your expert advice.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Per

A good 12 well maintained (nothing specially difficult) is superb and long lasting. Drive it, let it idle, all with AC on. Check temp and oil pressure and condition of both fluids. Check for leaks or obvious engine bay cleaning "yesterday". The 4.2 has twin cams and is a heavy beast too. More spece to work on in the bay. I have had both, have 12 now. Won't go back.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

The V12 is a unique engine and a joy to drive. It is certainly more expensive and more difficult to maintain then the 6 cylinder engine and can drop a valve if ran hot. The 6 cylinder car is not as smooth or as powerful but it's a carburetor 6 cylinder motor which makes it cheaper and easier to work on, but not better.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

the question is a simple answer.

the more cylinders you have the more classy the car, more is better.

we could drive around with a 2 or 3 cylinder car,it would get you from point A to point B.

so a 16 cylnder vehicle is just to say! HEY everyone look at ME!!

and its called bragging rights.
and it works for me.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Per

That too, but above all it is the pleasure of driving behind a V12. We are talkin Toad of Toad Hall here :-)

Old 02-16-2021, 11:03 PM
Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts
Default XJ6C Roof sans vinyl !

Originally Posted by dba-one
I dig the XJC cars but never cared for the roof cover. Get rid of that if possible.
Like this ? My 77 California.....No rust !

The following 4 users liked this post by Excalibur2012:
LnrB (02-18-2021), Mkii250 (02-18-2021), Noah (02-17-2021), slofut (08-13-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 09:20 AM
Default Late XJC Fuel Pump Replacement

While inspecting & doing rust repair in the boot area of my 77 XJ6C, I was shocked not to find the dual tank dual pump system installed.behind the spare tire. I just found out the late XJC S@ had submersible pumps in the tanks but never gets much mention. Had no idea where the pumps were located or how to access them. Sometimes it pays to check more than one forum. Low and behold I found this on Jag Lovers.

Old 07-24-2023, 02:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Series 2 submerged fuel pump replacement notes

Originally Posted by Excalibur2012
While inspecting & doing rust repair in the boot area of my 77 XJ6C, I was shocked not to find the dual tank dual pump system installed.behind the spare tire. I just found out the late XJC S@ had submersible pumps in the tanks but never gets much mention. Had no idea where the pumps were located or how to access them. Sometimes it pays to check more than one forum. Low and behold I found this on Jag Lovers.
youtube.com/watch?v=LVf6XuLFjzs
Having just changed out one of the pumps on my coupe last week, I have a few notes to add after watching the youtube video. It is not necessary to buy the entire pump assembly as the pump itself is available, I get mine from The Wedge Shop ( same pump as my Triumph TR8!), who provide a kit - the pump, a new filter sock and the all-important ethanol gasoline submersible 1.5 inch link of gas hose. This was I suspect the cause of failure in my case, I think the pump may have been OK. If the linking hose is not SAE 30R10 or better, it will turn to jelly in gasoline and deteriorate even faster in ethanol blends. If this happens, the pumped gas just exits the compromised hose link (back into the tank) without routing into the output pipe. Rumor is that the pump type is also original to the Chevy Vega.

Some disassembly and reassembly is necessary if you only source the pump, some pop rivets have to be drilled out and re-installed.

I used a pair of needle-nose pliers (instead of a hammer/pinch) to engage two of the tabs on the locking bezel since I think this results in less chance of distorting the ring. Also less chance of sparks!

Also, while you are in the vicinity, the 1 foot long, 45 year old piece of gas hose linking the tank spigot and the steel gas line makes sense to replace. Remember to dig out the one way no return valve insert buried in the ID of this hose near the tank end and re-install it into your new hose piece. Make sure it is clean and the ball moves freely and that you install it the right way round or no fuel will flow. This was originally installed to prevent the in-use tank from dumping fuel into the idle tank. Many instances of fuel streaming down a running car's fender on the highway are due to these valves failing or not being present and tanks overflowing.

Once hooked up electrically, listen at the filler cap for the new pump running before adding fuel back to check for leaks. Even with this work, I would still rather have these pumps installed instead of the external SU pumps in the trunk. I have read accounts of nasty failures and complete re-designs to the external pumps.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,218 Likes on 5,415 Posts

error post

Old 07-25-2023, 07:11 AM
Default XJC Fuel Pumps

Good feedback ! Unfortunately, as far as I know, this is the only video available. Watch the same guy do a side mirror replacement & cringed. We need to record & post more photos & video of the work we do. "Living with a Classic" is by far the best, but have never seen him cover the XJC fuel system quirks.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:22 PM

First thing I did on the '77 XJ6C I bought in 1987. It had only 40K miles, but rust under the vinyl top. Fully restored it was a gem.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:16 AM
Received 314 Likes on 137 Posts

My 1977 in Squadron blue. Very solid car that is a nice driver or a perfect candidate for a total restoration. Currently has a swapped in Chevy 350, but I have a Series 3 4.2 that could be swapped back to have a Jag powerplant.

In all honesty, I could be persuaded to sell her if anyone is interested. I have a couple of other projects and currently 9 pre 1990s cars, so she isn't getting the use or attention the car deserves. If anyone is interested the easiest way to get in touch with me is at my Email. msgdhorn@yahoo.com.

David

slofut (08-13-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 09:00 AM
Received 223 Likes on 121 Posts

Morning David,
Lovely car. I might be interested. PM my with financial details, Ian

Old 08-12-2023, 02:54 PM
Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

David, what front seats are those?

oldjaglover (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 03:33 PM

I hate to say how much I love these coupes, but I also know how deep it can get when making the driveable for any occasion.

So, what works and what doesn't? The V8 is ok with me, but it can't be some slug replacement from 1985 that burns oil and sucks gas like a sieve. I remember the early conversions....who did this one? How is the tranny? Does the a/c work? Etc.....

Any rust bubbles anywhere....especially the top?

KK

Old 08-13-2023, 05:22 PM
Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I very much agree with KK. I had a chevy 350/th350/ 700r4 for many years. Motor was scratch built, factory forged pistons and crank, pink rods, 041 heads etc... could not get it to stop leaking oil up top, valve covers mostly, but I was never happy and the bitch left oil spots as bad as any jag motor. Steering rack leaked no matter what I did, so the bottom is greasy. Now...
I finished my 71 vette last year, LS1/T56, Borgeson steering, all staying with factory gm parts, fuel injection etc... It's spoiled me forever! NO oil leaks, no carb/e10/fuel tank troubles, fires off in an instant no matter what, drive off and try to dodge traffic tickets on any day at the drop of a hat.
So, my current project is to resurrect my dear XJc with a nice LSx/t56/ and new fuel tanks. Also have new leather seat covers waiting, and big hopes to drive my beloved Xjc the way I always wanted to. And as soon as I can get it done the E-type fhc and a TR6 is next. If I can get those three done before I'm old then I have a few more in the queue.

LnrB (08-14-2023)

Quick Reply: XJ6C and XJ12C owners out there?