XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJC rear side window removal question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:18 PM
Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts
Default XJC rear side window removal question

I cut the damaged bodywork out of my xjc this afternoon and I'm trying to extract the rear window and mechanism intact. I'm thinking I'll have to cut the horizontal bar the lift mechanism is attached to out as I can't release the glass and carrier otherwise. (It will need straightening anyway so may as well cut it out, straighten and strengthen...it's pretty flimsy).

Anyone have any clues on best way to tackle this?

The car had a forklift through the passenger door and took a big hit from the other prong below this window. Slight bend in the 'monkey climb' plate so I can't bring the window down.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 PM

better angle of horizontal bar (dark, slightly rusty colored)

Old 02-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

An air saw, or if that's not available, a hand held padsaw. If you can't lower the window, unfortunately there is no way to remove it without sacrificing something.

The following users liked this post:
olivermarks (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

Do you need a quarter panel. I have a new one for sale.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts
Default Quarter

Do you need a quarter panel. I have a new one for sale.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Don't need a quarter panel yet, my plan is to graft an S1 door skin in as everything to the rear is straight. If that fails I may need to take you up on your offer though!

My current plan is to cut the entire window assembly and support bar out, get it on the bench to massage and coax to retract so I can get the support bar off. Then weld the straightened support back in and get it all working properly.

Unless anyone has any better ideas.....

Last edited by olivermarks; 02-17-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 AM

I got the glass and carrier out intact after a lot of massage and tweaking.
Another question for those who have been there and done it - is there a reason the horizontal bar that holds the top of the rear glass carrier is so flexible? Mine is still a little distorted. I want to straighten/strengthen it but it occurred to me it might need to flex a little for windowsealing? Any insights gratefully appreciated...

Last edited by olivermarks; 02-26-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Olivier,

I am thinking about buying XJC and it will be a long term project due to car beign in the bad condition.

To be honest I thought that it will be straight forward to cut the rear glass out from the seals in order to remove everything from the car’s body.

Does it mean that rear glass needs to be lovered down with the battery or it is possible to take it out naturally after removing the seal?

By the way, are you basen in the UK?

Thanks, Marcin

Old 04-08-2018, 08:31 PM
Default rear glass

Originally Posted by Maxiv
Hi Olivier,

I am thinking about buying XJC and it will be a long term project due to car beign in the bad condition.

To be honest I thought that it will be straight forward to cut the rear glass out from the seals in order to remove everything from the car’s body.

Does it mean that rear glass needs to be lovered down with the battery or it is possible to take it out naturally after removing the seal?

By the way, are you basen in the UK?

Thanks, Marcin

Hi Marcin,

Normally you'd just lower the glass with the electric motor and then follow the shop manual instructions for removal and refit. My car had major impact damage in the area I cut out (see first image in this thread) so I had to cut it out so I could free up the glass and frame to remove it, which I managed to do. I'll be reskinning that area once everything is cleaned up and the glass goes up and down again as it should normally do. That glass and mounting plate is pretty rare so I had to be very cautious to save it.

I'm in california but originally from UK....

Picture of pushing out the door jam a half inch yesterday with a 4 ton porta power yesterday before I refit window for fit and movement...

pushing out the door jam

Last edited by olivermarks; 04-08-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:22 AM

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your reply.

You made me worry saying that my mechanic will need the shop manual instructions for removal and refit of the glass. I thought that it will be a simple task to take it out ...

I can see that you have some good tools in the garage like this 4 ton porta power :-]

Where about in the UK did you live before?

I am from Birmingham, however I don’t think there are any XJC’s left here ...

Cheers,

Old 04-09-2018, 10:43 AM

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your reply.

You made me worry saying that my mechanic will need the shop manual instructions for removal and refit of the glass. I thought that it will be a simple task to take it out ...

I can see that you have some good tools in the garage like this 4 ton porta power :-]

Where about in the UK did you live before?

I am from Birmingham, however I don’t think there are any XJC’s left here ...

Cheers,

Make sure anyone you are paying to work on the car really knows what they are doing and is reasonably priced...or it will get expensive and not very good...these are not easy cars to work on if you are not used to them....

I grew up in Coventry, home of Jaguar where a lot of my friend's parents worked...

Old 04-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Haaaa I am employed by Jaguar Land Rover and I work in Coventry but my wife works in the main plant in Solihull ;-]

From the photos I can see that your car is in the same state as mine ... I am wondering if we will ever be able to complete this project :/

I need to get the engine + box. Later I will need to find the seats and in the meantine I need to do body repair and spray the car to stop corrosion from progressing further ...

Which car should I buy for a donor you think ... ?

If you know anyone who has got the seats for sale please let me know ...

Thanks,

Old 04-09-2018, 11:36 AM

Haaaa I am employed by Jaguar Land Rover and I work in Coventry but my wife works in the main plant in Solihull ;-]

From the photos I can see that your car is in the same state as mine ... I am wondering if we will ever be able to complete this project :/

I need to get the engine + box. Later I will need to find the seats and in the meantine I need to do body repair and spray the car to stop corrosion from progressing further ...

Which car should I buy for a donor you think ... ?

If you know anyone who has got the seats for sale please let me know ...

Thanks,
If you want a straight restoration probably best to find a running 4 door series II or III and use as many parts as possible.
I'm using series III front wings on mine, will cut out and weld in the series II indicator light fitting holes off the old (and badly distorted) wings from the xjc when I put euro bumper on.

If you want a more exotic engine there are lots of threads on here discussing options...Rust is probably your biggest issue in UK, I'd get that sorted before spending any money on other stuff...

Old 04-09-2018, 11:41 AM

Good shout, I will get the body blasted, welded and sprayed first and the windows fitted to close the car.

Next would be to fit the box and the engine.

Interrior would be the last thing to do ...

I am very sorry about your XJ6 Series 3 I currently have Series 3 from 1984 and I would never destroy it haha ...

Do you think it will be difficult to amend the harness and all the connection in case I get some other engine from a donor as I might not be able to find the genue XJC V12 :/

Old 04-09-2018, 11:48 AM

rust free series III's a are cheap as chips in california. Those wings are off my old daily driver 86 that got rear ended. It is now on the shelves behind the xjc in boxes and engine stands...I'm looking for a really good one (body, interior etc) with blown engine to insert the old engine and box into over here...

Regarding the 1970's jag V12's, the consensus is they are pretty fussy, heavy and expensive to run. Your FI straight six in the series III would be a good swap imo or a later model jag v12...

Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM

Bloody hell these XJ6 Series 3 are worth in the UK around 4-7000£. It is shocking that American’s in California don’t appreciate Series 3 Jaguars ...

It looks that you have broad knowledge about cars as you know how to change engines etc ... I can only be jealous ...

Regarding a donor for my XJC (if I buy it), your advice is to get Jaguar XJ6 Series 3 and move the engine and the box to XJC? I thought that Series 3 engine is not suitable for XJC and I would need to look for XJ6 Series 2 to be able to swap the parts ... ?

And the last question, if I use engine from a different series, wouldn’t it cause any issues with speedemeter, temperature and other clocks/lights on a dashboard showing red line and indicating that something is not working properly?

Thanks,

Old 04-09-2018, 05:01 PM

There are lots of engine options, and discussions on this forum of all of your questions...

Old 04-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Hi Oliver,

Once again thanks for your feedback.

I have found relatively cheap Series 2 and Series 3.

The question is which car would work better as a donor to my XJC?

Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to do any of this work myself so I want to make it as easy as possible for the mechanic to swap the engine. Your expertice will be very much appreciated.

Donor - XJ6 Series 1
Donor - XJ6 Series 2
Donor - XJ6 Series 3

Which car would work the best as a donor.

Technical and honest advice please !

Thanks

Last edited by Maxiv; 04-09-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

Series 3 cars have fuel injection, with the associated electronics. Series 1 and 2 have carbs - quite a difference! The early cars had short head/block studs, the latter long, through the coolant water studs with associated risk of corrosion and thinning and the risk of inter-bore cracking(mine is suffering from this). I am fitting a series three engine but using the series two inlet manifold and carbs. Wish me luck!

Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 PM

Hi Littlelic69,

Thanks for your feedback.

To be honest I would like to fit to my XJC engine from XJ6 S3 however I have doubts that any of the mechanics I know would be able to do that ...

I can see from your message that it is a big challange to use S3 engine on XJC and I am thinking if it wouldn’t be easier to swap the gearbox and the engine as a complete set directly from S2 car?

What made you going for S3 engine if I can ask? Is it just to have a more modern engine in your XJC?

Cheers,

Quick Reply: XJC rear side window removal question