XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Class Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Class Project

Hi,
I am teaching high school automotive repair class. One of my student's dad has an 88 jaguar that we are working on. We did front brakes and in the process the steering column locked and will not move. We have tried two different keys and have had NO LUCK. Can anyone give me any ideas, or even a diagram of the steering column? Its bad when they drive in and have to be flat bedded out. Thanks in advance for any help suggestions or ideas you have

Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,879 Likes on 7,154 Posts

You won't find any diagrams of the inner workings of the column because it was never intended to be servicable.

However.....

You're in luck. The lock mechanism is external :-). It can be removed by drilling out the "shear bolts" on the underside of the bracket that incorporates the lock mechanism and ingition lock cylinder. You'll need to remove the trim panel on the underside of the dash to see all this. Easy...3 or 4 trim screws and 3 wires to disconnect at the dimmer switch which is mounted in the trim panel

Note that the electric function of the igntion switch is not compromised, as the electric switch fits onto the back of the lock cylinder and is independant of the lock mechanism

Have you tried jiggling the steering wheel while twisting the key?

Cheers
DD

Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Welcome to the forum Ms Sherwood,

Let us know how you get on, how about a class picture?
Thanks for all of the feedback and information. The dad just recently got the car, so there is no "correct" way to hold your head while trying to start the car like there was for my own Dad's Dodge back in the day...
We have started to work on the steering column. I had the students working on the car get all of the brake parts reassembled. They removed the underdash trim and I will be examining the steering column with a bit more knowing eye with Doug's suggestion in mind.
We are also doing a tune up on the car. We have the Jaguar OEM spark plugs and are trying to find an accurate description of how to get to all 12 of the spark plugs. I looked on the Forum and can find very little on the V12. The boys are just removing things as they follow the plug wires. This makes me a bit nervous since I can't watch this group every minute.

I have to ask if I can legally send a picture; I am new at teaching high school so I haven't got all of the details of the job figured out.

Thanks again for the advice, I will post next week about our successes (I hope)

Old 10-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ms Sherwood
Thanks for all of the feedback and information. The dad just recently got the car, so there is no "correct" way to hold your head while trying to start the car like there was for my own Dad's Dodge back in the day...
We have started to work on the steering column. I had the students working on the car get all of the brake parts reassembled. They removed the underdash trim and I will be examining the steering column with a bit more knowing eye with Doug's suggestion in mind.
We are also doing a tune up on the car. We have the Jaguar OEM spark plugs and are trying to find an accurate description of how to get to all 12 of the spark plugs. I looked on the Forum and can find very little on the V12. The boys are just removing things as they follow the plug wires. This makes me a bit nervous since I can't watch this group every minute.

One advantage of learning auto repair on an XJS V12 is that every car that follows will seem easy :-)

With patience the spark plugs can be removed with multiple combinations of extension and flex-joints. The forward-most plugs are very difficult as they are blocked by the air cond. compressor. Most V12 DIYers shift the compressor out of the way for access: two bolts at the rear, two bolts at the front, lift the compressor a few inches to reach the plugs...propping it up with something handy...like a screwdriver. Don't disconnect the a/c lines, of course. Lift the compressor just enough to reach the plugs.

The other method is the "clear the Vee". Remove the throttle pedestal, cruise control servo, distributor cap and wires. You'll now have EASY access to the plugs (except the front two, as mentioned) PLUS you can blow out all the debris in the spark plug wells, replace any deteriorated vacuum hoses, repair cracked wires and dirty connectors, and so forth. Lots of wires and hoses to tag and keep track of, though.

Either way it's a big job, and the XJS an excellent subject car to demonstrate the virtues of slow, deliberate, methodical work. :-)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Ms Sherwood (11-05-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 8,106 Likes on 4,891 Posts

The shear bolts can sometimes be 'walked' out with a sharp punch driven on an angle at the outer edge. I usually cut a slot into the head for re-installation with a flat blade screwdriver. You can also use allen socket head bolts or buy new shear bolts.

Removing the A/C compressor up and forward with the hoses connected will give you access to the front sparking plugs (or as a French customer called them 'SPARKLERS')

bob gauff

Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM

I followed these directions when I changed the plugs. Accessing the Vee (or search for clearing the vee). There may be subtle differences on your car, but the directions worked for this first timer.

The directions are not kidding about needing the crow's foot for the pedestal, but they aren't expensive. Getting the a/c compressor back in is a much fun as described, but it gets in there eventually. Be sure to have them clean as they go, as there is inevitably much there to fall in when the plugs come out. Careful on the myriad wires, too. They can get a bit crispy after 20+ years.

Doug is right, as he is on so much. If they can work on this car, the others will seem simple. It's great you are giving them this opportunity.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
(or as a French customer called them 'SPARKLERS')

The old timers at the shop where I first worked...as a parts counterman... called 'em "firing pins". And spark plug wires were called "ropes" :-)

"Gimme eight firing pins and a set of ropes for a ......"

Cheers
DD

Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 AM

I was wondering about the Crows Feet when I read that before.... What sizes do you need to have?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Smile CLASS Project Update: Good news

The steering wheel is turning freely again!! Thank you to all of you who wrote with suggestions. We are all excited about being able to reinstall the steering linkage and finish the brake job.
On the spark plug front; two of the new plugs are broken. According to the student, the dreaded someone came over by the car and the spark plug just ended up broken on the floor... The second plug got broken during installation (in front of witnesses) and miracles of miracles it has an identical fracture about 3/8 of an inch from the top of the plug which is exactly where the other plug is broken. I have been assured by the student that it is purely coincidence and that the school should take care of the cost of replacing both plugs since they got broken in school.

Are Jaguar plugs really $10.00 each? That's the story I am getting from the student. I am going to try to find them on line, and then I will call the Jaguar dealer if I have to.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

It all depends on what brand of plugs you buy. Champion plugs are somewhere around 80 cents each and the price goes up from there.
When I put the plugs in I use a piece of fuel line slipped over the top of the plug to get it threaded in almost all the way. Once the plug is in I use a 3/8 universal on the end of an extension to snug the plug in. Remember they don't have to be in really tight.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Received 8,106 Likes on 4,891 Posts

Jaguar uses the Champion RS9YC (or Stock #304) and later switched to the NGK for the 6.0 V12

If you buy the plugs from Jaguar you will find Champion RS9YC in the Jag box.
Just buy the Champions.

Here is an old TSB for high tension lead routing

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 PM

AsherDaze - I don't recall the size but I picked up a set at Harborfreight for not much.

Ms. Sherwood - I second the use of the tubing. Also make sure the threads in the hole are good and clean.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Also don't forget a little anti-seize on plug threads.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
It all depends on what brand of plugs you buy. Champion plugs are somewhere around 80 cents each and the price goes up from there.
When I put the plugs in I use a piece of fuel line slipped over the top of the plug to get it threaded in almost all the way. Once the plug is in I use a 3/8 universal on the end of an extension to snug the plug in. Remember they don't have to be in really tight.

The Father bought Jaguar plugs and yes, they were Champions in the box, but they WERE NOT 80 cents! According to the student the set of plugs were $80.00 for the set. By my math that's $6.67 each, meaning the dealer make a handsome profit. That Jaguar box is pretty expensive!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

I ordered mine off Amazon and they were 79 cents each. Might be worth looking into!