XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

12v pump all the way to fuel rail, still no fuel dist. ARG

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013 | 08:54 PM
|
Default 12v pump all the way to fuel rail, still no fuel dist. ARG

Inertia switch check, cleaned fuel tank and stage tank, check, at my wits end with a no start, I need some serious advice, Removed 3cu, opened it, nothing burnt out, starts fine with starting fluid, 12v sourced fuel to fuel rail, Did not check the trigger under distributor cap yet, that is next, I even checked the injector amp, going to upgrade to either 6cu or 16 cu depending on compression... are these pins compatible?
76 XJ-S

Old 06-17-2013 | 08:59 PM

If it starts with ether then you have a fuel problem. Do you have pressure at the rail?

The following users liked this post:
Jagalicious (06-18-2013)
Old 06-17-2013 | 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

A 1976 XJS?

The F.I. system is quite a bit different on that car than the more common "HE" versions. I'm surely no help.

Maybe Roger Bywater's site, AJ6 Engineering, has some diagnostic info on the early F.I.

Cheers
DD

Jagalicious (06-18-2013)
Old 06-17-2013 | 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagalicious
going to upgrade to either 6cu or 16 cu depending on compression... are these pins compatible?
76 XJ-S

The 6cu and 16cu are for the later "P digital" system. I don't think they'd work at all on the early system

Cheers
DD

Jagalicious (06-18-2013)
Old 06-17-2013 | 09:30 PM

Welcome the real world of motoring with a PreHE V12, drinking will be required, trust me.

It has been a loooong time since I played with a D Jetronic, but here goes.

The 3CU is the ONLY ECU for this "D-Jetronic" EFI system. It is the "grand-daddy" of what we have today. I have never seen one go bad.

The 6CU and 16CU are for the later HE engines with "P Digital" EFI, and totally different operating technology.

You, sir, have NO injector pulse, VERY common on the PreHE system.

Inside the distributor is a "trigger board" just under the rotor. It will either have 3 or 4 wires to it. If its a 3 wire, pray like hell.

The 3 wire trigger board has reed switches imbedded in it, and the passing of the heel of the rotor (where the magnet is) over these switches activates them and triggers the injection system, simple, but unreliable.

The 4 wire board has "hall effect" switches imbedded in it, and the 4th wire is a 12v ignition supply, much more reliable.

The rotor has a magnet in the heel to activate these switches, and the 2 boards require a different magnet, NO IDEA why. One is a round magnet, the other is rectangular, and I simply forget which goes with what board.

I have been involved with some engines that have had the cap and rotor replaced, engine will not start, and the replacement rotor has NO magnet, coz the parts people had no idea, replaced the rotor with a magnet unit, beast is alive.

These magnets do loose their magnetism, as magnets do, and that will stop a PreHE with conviction.

Let us know how many wires going to the trigger board, then we can narrow it down significantly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Doug (06-18-2013), Jagalicious (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013 | 12:47 AM
|

Originally Posted by Doug
A 1976 XJS?

The F.I. system is quite a bit different on that car than the more common "HE" versions. I'm surely no help.

Maybe Roger Bywater's site, AJ6 Engineering, has some diagnostic info on the early F.I.

Cheers
DD
Thanks so much Double D, I haven't found the thanks button yet...Very New in this Pre HE world..... Still haven't found where to put my signature Fellas...
Stephen Olney
1976 XJ-S V12

Old 06-18-2013 | 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

The best advice I can give is to listen to Grant..lol! He's walked me through a few weird problems and ultimately to success. The man is a true asset to this board but he'll never admit it!

The following 2 users liked this post by JameyXJ6:
Grant Francis (06-19-2013), Jagalicious (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013 | 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

I agree! Grant is aces in my book

Cheers
DD

Grant Francis (06-19-2013)
Old 06-18-2013 | 04:09 PM
|
Default 1976 XJ-S 3 wire FI trigger I have now Prayed....

Good day Gents,
Well I searched the Wire coming out of the front of the Distributor cap, and it has 3 wires (Black, White, and Clear), going to a coupler, Appears that simply removing the wires and an unbolt, Hopefully it comes out without having to remove the prison cage above it,,,, lol I will check the board for solder issues. In Theory, if the magnet has lost it's Polarity, is it safe to submit that it can be re-magnified using another magnet, or a magnet strip constructed on the inside of the distributor, given it's clockwise direction, to consistently re direct polarity strength within the rotor magnet? Also as the magnet loses polarity at lower RPM, Will Polarity strength then be determined by more passing at a higher RPM if a Magnet strip is constructed inside the distributor, and Doe polarity strength determine a higher pulse generation.... ? Thanks again guys you are truly magnif !!!
Stephen Olney (1600's) England
1976 XJ-X (S)(Project X)
also what is a trackback below this reply....?
Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Welcome the real world of motoring with a PreHE V12, drinking will be required, trust me.

The 3CU is the ONLY ECU for this "D-Jetronic" EFI system. It is the "grand-daddy" of what we have today. I have never seen one go bad.

The 6CU and 16CU are for the later HE engines with "P Digital" EFI, and totally different operating technology.

Inside the distributor is a "trigger board" just under the rotor. It will either have 3 or 4 wires to it. If its a 3 wire, pray like hell.

The 3 wire trigger board has reed switches imbedded in it, and the passing of the heel of the rotor (where the magnet is) over these switches activates them and triggers the injection system, simple, but unreliable.

The 4 wire board has "hall effect" switches imbedded in it, and the 4th wire is a 12v ignition supply, much more reliable.

The rotor has a magnet in the heel to activate these switches, and the 2 boards require a different magnet, NO IDEA why. One is a round magnet, the other is rectangular, and I simply forget which goes with what board.

I have been involved with some engines that have had the cap and rotor replaced, engine will not start, and the replacement rotor has NO magnet, coz the parts people had no idea, replaced the rotor with a magnet unit, beast is alive.

These magnets do loose their magnetism, as magnets do, and that will stop a PreHE with conviction.

Let us know how many wires going to the trigger board, then we can narrow it down significantly.

Old 06-18-2013 | 07:19 PM

Is there a coolant temperature sensor that sends to ECU on those?

Old 06-19-2013 | 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
Is there a coolant temperature sensor that sends to ECU on those?
Bugga, YES there is and I remember, I think, it has the same death factor as the HE unit. By that I mean it that coolant sensor losses connection integrity the engine simply will NOT start. I dont have access to a PreHE at the moment to test my memory.

Soooo, check the wires at the plug at the ECU sensor on the backside of the LH thermostat housing. They break, and that will stop engine starting for sure.

Old 06-19-2013 | 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jagalicious
Good day Gents,
Well I searched the Wire coming out of the front of the Distributor cap, and it has 3 wires (Black, White, and Clear), going to a coupler, Appears that simply removing the wires and an unbolt, Hopefully it comes out without having to remove the prison cage above it,,,, lol I will check the board for solder issues. In Theory, if the magnet has lost it's Polarity, is it safe to submit that it can be re-magnified using another magnet, or a magnet strip constructed on the inside of the distributor, given it's clockwise direction, to consistently re direct polarity strength within the rotor magnet? Also as the magnet loses polarity at lower RPM, Will Polarity strength then be determined by more passing at a higher RPM if a Magnet strip is constructed inside the distributor, and Doe polarity strength determine a higher pulse generation.... ? Thanks again guys you are truly magnif !!!
Stephen Olney (1600's) England
1976 XJ-X (S)(Project X)
also what is a trackback below this reply....?
I am a tad lost at the remagnetising of that particular magnet, although I am familiar with the process.

I have an old 3 wire here, and passing a VERY strong magnetic on a stick over both ends of the board (where to 2 sets of switches are) has a distinctive clicking at one end, and little to nothing at the other. Now this magnet is significantly stronger than the rotor magnet. This board was in "her" S2 XJ12, and would drop one bank of cylinders at a time when having a hissy. I replaced it 19 years ago with the 4 wire board and rotor, never had issues again.

The board is held in place with 4 "plastic" screws, and 4 insulator rubbers, and they are still available from Jaguar, in the UK.

The distributor rotates in an "anticlocwise" direction, which you probably already know.

I also believe that the 4 wire "kit" is still available for that system, but it has been a while since I needed one.

I dont believe you will "see" anything out of whack, as all I have dealt with have been those imbedded switches.

Old 06-19-2013 | 08:59 AM
|

Hey Grant,
Thanks for your last post, there are 3 wires coming out of the distributor Cap, I am disassembling this AM ...

Old 06-19-2013 | 10:35 AM
|

Thanks Grant, the rotor does have a magnet, with little to no pull but I found a very harmful sight on the bottom of the board which I will try to post later or attach, thanks again, as I am determined to revive her....
Regards
Stephen Olney
XJ-S

Old 06-19-2013 | 10:45 AM
|

Sorry Grant it was just board coating, will look into 4 wire system, but for now thank you.
Stephen
1976 XJS

Old 06-19-2013 | 08:54 PM
|

I am a tad lost at the remagnetising of that particular magnet, although I am familiar with the process.

I have an old 3 wire here, and passing a VERY strong magnetic on a stick over both ends of the board (where to 2 sets of switches are) has a distinctive clicking at one end, and little to nothing at the other. Now this magnet is significantly stronger than the rotor magnet. This board was in "her" S2 XJ12, and would drop one bank of cylinders at a time when having a hissy. I replaced it 19 years ago with the 4 wire board and rotor, never had issues again.

The board is held in place with 4 "plastic" screws, and 4 insulator rubbers, and they are still available from Jaguar, in the UK.
The distributor rotates in an "anticlocwise" direction, which you probably already know.

I also believe that the 4 wire "kit" is still available for that system, but it has been a while since I needed one.

I dont believe you will "see" anything out of whack, as all I have dealt with have been those imbedded switches.
Grant,
It appeared as a top/bottom capacitor with ge led at the bottom aligned to the rotor heal, and a thin sprocket like wheel with about 1/8" gap appearing to me as a "Pulse Gap", makes sense, car still did not start. It was however a little loose on it's axis,(the top/bottom , where the 3 wire connects inside dist)... Am I needing another rotor? the EGR/Catalyst light turns on inside the car when I try to start it, I don't know...
Please Advise.....Or it's a 56k motor for sale......lol never.
Stephen
1976 XJ-S