XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1983 6 cy Jaguar XJ6 fuel and a/c problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 1983 6 cy Jaguar XJ6 fuel and a/c problems?

FEMALE ALERT: Just wanted to get that out of the way from the get go. Anyway, I've always wanted a black car and an older model Jaguar so after years of frothing at the mouth, here I am
I bought the car last month, and even though I have 4 manuals they might as well be printed in German. I've replaced a few hoses, 1 fuel filter (are there 2 on this car?, one for each tank) bought a new battery and replaced the rack and pinion. Now my kitty is purring with the exception of...

#1 I fill the right tank, it runs fine but I parked it at a half tank and the next morning it was below half, not much but enough to notice. It's been terribly hot here so I can't see any leaks on the drive but it's going somewhere, right? I do smell gas sometimes inside the car. Once the fuel falls to about 1/25 the car acts as if it's not getting gas, exactly as if the filter is clogged, put a bit of fuel in the tank and it purrs like a kitten again. The last time it happened I pulled off the main drag and noticed smoke coming from both sides of the back tires from somewhere underneath. Luckily we were in front of a Chinese restaurant so we did the logical thing, we ate, went back out, started fine, no smoke either. Drove it across the street put $10 in gas and didn't have the problem again that night. I'm thinking rust in the fuel tank? I have surmised the fuel goes through the pump before the filter so I'm thinking regardless replacing the tank is probably a good idea since the tanks have "never" been replaced on this car anyway. But could the fuel pump be damaged already? If I replace the tanks should I go ahead and replace the pump along with the filter again? Could it be anything else? Any and all responses appreciated.
In case you're wondering I've never used the left fuel tank. When I bought the car it was empty and I was told he had never used it either so quite frankly I've been a little scared to put any gas in it.

#2 The a/c does not cool although it has plenty of R12 (it had been modified when I bought it). And sometimes when I turn the air on it squeals, is that the condenser? The a/c is not such a big deal but I'm wondering it can harm the car if it's not working since the fuel is cooled through it? Again, any and all responses appreciated.

There are a few other small things like the antenna doesn't doesn't work so I just pulled it up manually and leave it up all the time, no biggie. I'd love to replace the factory stereo to a cd player but that's no biggie either. The cruise doesn't work but I have foot, will press pedal. And even though the blinkers work the lights only work half the time on the dash and sometimes they have to be turned off manually but again, no biggie. I'm in LOVE! We all have our quirks, right? Oh, and don't worry I'm not doing the work myself although I would if I just knew what I was doing.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

My first concern is that you are smelling gas inside the car. That tells me there is a leak, either in the lines or in the tank. It's also possible the rubber hoses connecting the injectors are leaking. Before I drove the car, I'd make sure to find the problem. You don't want a fire to destroy your car or even worse cause harm to yourself. Bring it somewhere so it can be put up on a lift and checked.

The squealing A/C sounds like the compressor may be bad. It's the belt that is squealing and if it continues it could break. You can run the car without a/c, but on hot days or if the engine is running hot it can boil the gas in the gas line and cause vapor lock. Then you have to let it cool before driving again. Mostly just a PITA.

I'm pretty much the definition of the word quirk!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Received 10,469 Likes on 6,914 Posts

Welcome, that is out of the way, hahaha.

You are saying an '83 XJ6, so it is a 4 door sedan??, good, just maybe in the wrong area, DONT panic, the car will never know, someone high up will move your post to the XJ6 area, trust us.

You should only have ONE filter, in the boot (alright TRUNK), and some fuel lines passing between the 2 tanks (you did say 2 tanks), and they can leak, the fuel pump can leak. Most common is the fuel flowing from one tank to the other, and overnight settling to an even level in both tanks, switch tanks with the dash switch and see if the other tank is the same level as the other, you just found your fuel, good feeling I hope. This is controlled by 2 valves tucked away behind the rear wheels, wheels off to locate said valves, they stick, and could also cause supply issues, maybe. There are valves in the trunk that allow the flow from whatever tank you select, and could be sticking also.

There are filters on each supply (pick up pipe) inside each tank, and YES rust could be blocking them.

I am NO guru on S3 6 cyl fuel systems, and others will come on with much better assist I feel sure.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Jamey and Grant for taking the time out to reply to my post, it means so much!
I have copied your replies and will take them to my mechanic today.
Again, I'm very thankful for your replies.

celeste.