XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1983 XJS Speaker Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 11:47 AM
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 1983 XJS Speaker Sizes

Hi guys, I have been reading up on speaker sizes for the XJS, they seem to differ from the different series of XJS.

Mine is a 1983 V12 HE, not got it yet, picking it up next week from Dundee, less salt on the roads by then I hope.

I believe in my model, the series 2 that it is 4" 10cm in the front, which I am ok with replacing like for like in size. I am thinking of Focal PC100 performance for the front and PC 165 performance 6.5 17cm for the rear

Now then, the rears is where I am getting confused, is it 5" or 6" or 6.5" or 6x9" that can be fitted?

I am not wanting to be cutting anything out, hopefully placing them onto MDF and attaching the MDF to the space.

I have an FM Modulator 10 disc Sony cd changer to add in the boot.

Its a Blaupunkt Casablanca fitted in the car, I might keep that for now.

Its speaker sizes I am after.

Cheers all.

Graeme.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 405 Posts

On the front for my 87, they were 5" (not 5.25). I found some Polks that fit, but I did mount them on hardboard as the tweeters wouldn't clear the grills unless I did.

On the rears, apparently some later cars apparently could accept 6x9" speakers. On my car, I had to do extensive mods to the speaker mounting scheme, shortening the depth, to make 6x9s fit. The existing 5" speakers backed right up to the sheet metal skin of the car. It was a royal pain in the butt. If I had to do it again, I probably would go with shallow 6" rounds. I HIGHLY recommend pulling one of you rear sìde panels and look at how your existing speaker is mounted, and how much depth you have. Your rear mounting may be completely different from mine. The design in my car was the most stupid thing I've seen, a cardboard box section mounted to trim panel, with a 3/8" piece of plywood mounted to that, and the speaker mounted to the back of the plywood. Here are a couple pictures of this mess.

The grey is the cardboard. They used staples of a sort to mount it to the trim panel. The plywood is stapled to the cardboard from inside the box. The black star shaped thing is cloth covering the inside of the cardboard, and extended thru the hole for the speaker. I had to shorten the cardboard box, and the 6x9 just barely fit on the plywood. The whole design of the box is Mickey Mouse at best. The magnet of the stock speaker is only separated from the outer skin of the car by a 1/8" piece of foam.

I didn't see anyway of mounting the speaker to the trim panel directly without totally destroying the existing look.

​​​​​​From what I can tell from another website, the later model cars redesigned the whole mounting scheme allowing 6x9s to fit more easily. And you're earlier car may be different again. Pull that inner panel and see what you're dealing with BEFORE ordering speakers.

BTW, there is a 3 ohm resistor online with the positive speaker wires in the back. It's inside an inline fuse holder. Get rid of it for your aftermarket radio. Nobody I've seen has come up with a good reason for it being there.

The following users liked this post:
Geewhite (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 05:05 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

4" replacements all round on my 87. Be advised that 4" are measured with external flange outside that is not included in the measurement..as far as I can tell. What you can cram in there I have no idea, but all 4 were identical and spec'd 5.25"...4" is what fits

Last edited by jag-reflex; 03-27-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Geewhite (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 405 Posts

Yeah, the cone measures about 4-3/16". The mounting points are the same as the Polk DB501 5" speakers, which is why I called them 5". If you use mounting plates in the square door openings, 5-1/4" speakers should fit ok. The Polks will bolt up ok using the stock grills, but as I said, the tweeter portion hits the grills. I used the stock grills in the door card and cut off the excess of the studs . Made plates out of tempered pressboard and mounted the speakers solidly to the door.
The stock front and rear speakers are identical.
Incidentally, even after I finally got the 6x9s mounted in the rear, there was no way to put a grill on them. Not enough room in the box to do it. Have I told you how stupid the rear speaker enclosure is, lol?!

Geewhite (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:59 AM
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys, thank you.

This just confirms my doubts as to size.

I will have to wait for the car to arrive to check first, I was just wanting to jump the gun.

I have read that there is 2.5 inches of depth at the front, the Focal will fit there.

I am not a loud loud listener of music, I am a loudish listener but with clarity.

My 25t had Meridian Surround...Oh my goodness, fantastic sound.

I am not trying to copy that, couldn't afford it but a close will suffice.

I will fill myself with alcohol before attempting, just because!

Gee.

Old 11-22-2023, 03:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geewhite
Guys, thank you.

This just confirms my doubts as to size.

I will have to wait for the car to arrive to check first, I was just wanting to jump the gun.

I have read that there is 2.5 inches of depth at the front, the Focal will fit there.

I am not a loud loud listener of music, I am a loudish listener but with clarity.

My 25t had Meridian Surround...Oh my goodness, fantastic sound.

I am not trying to copy that, couldn't afford it but a close will suffice.

I will fill myself with alcohol before attempting, just because!

Gee.
Hey Gee,

Any updates on the speaker install? What size did you fit up front and in the rear? I am looking to upgrading the XJS speakers myself and would appreciate any updates.

Regards,

Gary