XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1984 xjs 5.3 HE no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 5,489 Posts

JG

Here are a couple of pics of the wheelwell that Grant and I are talking about. There are wires from the two bulkhead plugs, and there is a solid unplugged bundle of wire which is the unbroken connection to the ECU that goes all the way through the car to the ECU plug. (pics taken before I welded the sill I hasten to add!).

Name:  DSCF3587.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  DSCF3585.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  154.7 KB

The problem you have can be in any of the three bundles, but my best bet is the solid bundle, but I suggest you carefully unwrap all of them and redo the wires in them to where-ever they go. Big-ish job, but worth it, and not costing much. Start with the ECU bundle, I suggest, and try the car after that is done, first.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
jagernut (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!,That's alot of good info.Thanks for that..
I have a long good task ahead of me,but if it works,Great.
I really want to give up,but with the great help I get,I stay with it.
I just take a step back and look at the beauty i'll be driving,and the great help i'm getting,and it makes me push on.
Ok, It is odd,that car was running ok,untill I started taping up wires,between the inj loom and power resiter.After that,car wouldnt start.I'm going to start un taping all that loom today,and see what happens.
Also,if you guy's remember,in a post awhile back.I wrote about that pink/grn wire comming from power resister,that goes all the way to pin 29 of ecu.It had 7.71 ohms of resistance.On a scale of 20K,but open on 200,or2K I bypassed that wire with another one.I was looking on a blog online.There was a schematic on there showing that pink/grn wire,going to ecu but also spliced to the EGR controll relay,(where ever that is).Not sure if on my car.
So if anyone can check and see if that,pink/grn wire is going straight to ecu from power resister,or spliced in to egr? on.way to ecu?

Last edited by jagernut; 08-03-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:27 PM

ok here's what I know checked all of the wires on the main harness and the other harness and check the wires individually did not find any broken wires cracked wires or chipped wires looks good so I checked all my signal wires again everything is working properly my injectors are pulsing when I checked with a V ohm meter and my air sensor temperature sensor has 3.8 volts and my air temperature sensor has 5v volts so everything seems to be working correctly even the TPS I checked it again and all the numbers are correct, so for some reason it is not spraying on the injectors I took the first two injectors out 1a 2a turn the key on crank the engine no fuel spray,so I don't understand. maybe just the ECU is bad or going bad inside somewhere I don't know so if any ideas of anything else to do let me know.
I did run the bypass on the power resistor to ecu again and now while I'm cranking engine power resistor unit does not get warm it stays cool so I'm pretty sure that pink and black wire going from the power resistor to the ECU is grounded somewhere with just a little bit of resistance because it only has resistance on 20 K so I left the bypass on there and still the car is not starting so I'm out of ideas for right now Thanks.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member

JG, you said a couple of post up:
"Ok, It is odd,that car was running ok,untill I started taping up wires,between the inj loom and power resiter.After that,car wouldnt start.I'm going to start un taping all that loom today,and see what happens."

I think this says it all. Renew the ECU loom as suggested by splicing into it from the wheelwell forwards. You have a problem and there is not, repeat not the one-step solution you would love to find. Some wire, some shrink stuff, some care, a couple of days, and this part of the problem is eliminated. Keep taking the medicine !
Greg

jagernut (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Received 10,538 Likes on 6,960 Posts

My schematics shows the Pink/Green goes pin 29 of ECU to pin 8 of the resistor pack, NO deviations.

jagernut (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Yes,you are right about the loom.I need to rebuild it.
So is there a bulkhead loom connector you mentioned somewhere?
Is it behind that fender well?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagernut
Yes,you are right about the loom.I need to rebuild it.
So is there a bulkhead loom connector you mentioned somewhere?
Is it behind that fender well?
The bulkhead loom connectors are in the first pic I posted, quite clear to see. You will have to remove the inner wheel arch to the rear of the front wheel to access them - easy to do. Then you leave a decent bit coming out of the connectors and can splice new wires to the each (following the method I suggest below; but I am not loommaking expert, so others may have much better views on how to do it. .

The ECU loom (also in the pic but shown going through the huge bulkhead grommet) has NO connectors at all for the entire length of the car. So to repair the engine bay part of it, I suggest you undo a bit of the covering in the part behind the wheelarch inner you have removed to get access, carefully unwrap it into the engine bay to where the connectors are, and ONE WIRE AT A TIME splice in and replace all the engine bay portion.

You might start at the wires coming from the Resistor pack and the ones you moved while taping up, looking at the starter relay etc, and work back to the wheelwell, as these seem to be the iffy-est. But really no substitute for doing them all !
Greg

jagernut (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM

Ok,I guess its time to get a little dirty.I'll remove that inner fender wheel well shield,and start there.
Thanks Greg.
I also knew that pink/green wire from power resisted is bad.
Thanks for verifying it Grant.
Hopefully, I'll have better news when I post again.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM

Well,I'm seriously thinking of selling the car,and saving what's left of my sanity.
My friend offered me 1500.00 so I'm thinking about it.You think thats a good price?

Last edited by jagernut; 08-05-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member

Well,I'm seriously thinking of selling the car,and saving what's left of my sanity.
My friend offered me 1500.00 so I'm thinking about it.You think thats a good price?
Very fair price. Cars like this are like women (or blokes for women for all I know). IMO when you fall out of love and you do not like them any more, it's over. If you have, you have, and no shame in that. Sleep on it for a day or two? and if it is over, go in peace say I, cars are meant to be fun, not a chore - also like the opposite...
Greg

jagernut (08-15-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:11 AM

I agree with Greg.

Sometimes we all have to simply move on, and as he said "No shame in that".

jagernut (08-15-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 AM

I agree,
But dont get me wrong,One bad apple to me doesnt spoil the bunch.
I still love Jags and will be buying another one.
Only this time,one I can drive away.
I am going to take break,and see what happens
I have my eye on one,an 87 xjs,that runs and drives for 2500
So we shall see...
Thanks guys.

Last edited by jagernut; 08-06-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Hey one last thing every time I open trunk I smell fuel badly.Is that normal I dont see any gas in trunk or around tank

Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 PM

Hey one last thing every time I open trunk I smell fuel badly.Is that normal I dont see any gas in trunk or around tank
YEP.

Thousands of threads on that subject here and the "other forum", so I will leave that to you. to read up on whilst you have some down time.

jagernut (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 04:38 PM

Hey guys,Long time no talk.
Well here it is,a week and more later.Recieved my 16cu ecm finally,pluged it in and presto magico!!
Car runs great.
Looks like both ecu's had there own issue's.
Now if I turn ign on and fill up a One liter bottle it fills it over half full.
Anyways,It drives well and has no other issues,as of yet.
I replaced alternator and dash light went out and battery is charging as it should.
As I was driving car,if I step on pedal I get a slight pinging.So timming needs a little adjustment.
But all in all car runs out good.
Thanks again for all the expertise from you guys.
This time I'm not going to get to excited,and jinks myself..

Last edited by jagernut; 08-15-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Grant Francis (08-16-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Hey guys,Long time no talk. Well here it is,a week and more later.Recieved my 16cu ecm finally,pluged it in and presto magico!! Car runs great. Looks like both ecu's had there own issue's. Now if I turn ign on and fill up a One liter bottle it fills it over half full. Anyways,It drives well and has no other issues,as of yet. I replaced alternator and dash light went out and battery is charging as it should. As I was driving car,if I step on pedal I get a slight pinging.So timming needs a little adjustment. But all in all car runs out good. Thanks again for all the expertise from you guys. This time I'm not going to get to excited,and jinks myself..
Never give up! Never surrender! Hip, Hip, Hooray!!! Glad to hear it!

jagernut (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 PM

I do have to say,this car nearly got to me.But your right JT,I couldn't let it win..
Now its just akk about keeping it running....

Old 08-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

I don't believe it! Great news. I thought that you had fuitted the 16 CU weeks ago and that ti had made no difference. Post again in 14 days to say ti is still going!

If it is, we will start you on the boot fuel smells!
Greg

jagernut (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 06:19 AM

TOLD YA.

Confidence with a capital "J", works for me every time.

Gotta work tomorrow, so only half a bottle of "juice" in celebration, or waaaaay too many guys are going to get the wrong spare parts and get grumpy. HAHAHA. Care factor -1000000.

Retard that timing NOW, you listening, NOW.

Then drive as it was designed, and dont smoke in it till the fumes are sorted. That will be another "War and Peace", trust me, that tank is a fair mongrel to get out.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Hey jagernut,good to hear you got some things sorted(been watching from the dead ball line).
Funny thing about the fuel smell from the boot though,Yesterday I had my local plumber over(who I have known for 25+ years , a Mini and MG man). He was used to my 63 Morris Mini tucked away in the laundry for a long time.(and now he it has under his back Pergola)
When I opened the XJ6 boot,as you do do when your plumber comes around,lol. His apprentice said "I love that old car smell", all we smelt was stale fuel and oil.
He said my Dad's HQ(73 GMH sedan) smells like that.

That old car smell will be lost soon. Unless we keep these cars on the road.

jagernut (08-16-2014)

Quick Reply: 1984 xjs 5.3 HE no spark