XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1984 XJS-C Barn Find

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014 | 05:05 AM
|
Default 1984 XJS-C Barn Find

Hi all is there anyway I can find more details on this car I have been told that it maybe one of the Aston Martin Tickford Super Cat`s.
I have googled to try to find a register but so far have had no luck has anybody got any ideas how I can find out exactly what I have ?

Many thanks

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Old 05-06-2014 | 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

I've never heard of a Tickford super cat? Sounds intriguing!!

The XJ-SC's targa roof was designed and installed by AMT but my understanding is that was all they did to the cars?

According to several books on the history of the XJ-S, the following occurred:

Initially the car body was built as a XJ-S coupe but before the roof panel was put on, the car left Castle Bromwich and went to Park Sheet Metal to have the buttresses removed and the chassis strengthening added. Then the car went back to Castle Bromwich for painting and then on to Browns Lane for mechanical and trim installation. Aston Martin Tickford then installed the Targa roof. Finally the car rejoined the regular XJ-S production line for road testing and quality control checks.

I have never seen a reference to special performance modifications made by AMT but it would be interesting to find that info.

Old 05-06-2014 | 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

I know a reasonable amount about XJSs, but I'm somewhat confused by this car. I've not heard of an "AMT Super Cat".

If it's the one currently for sale on ebay, there seem to be some discrepancies in the description by the vendor, which might question whether he really knows what he's talking about.

It refers to the car having a 3.6 XK engine, which it clearly doesn't have. There is no such thing. All 3.6 XJSs use the AJ6 engine, which this car has.

The production stats quoted are wrong as well. There were many more than 150 3.6 Cabs built by Tickfords before Jaguar took back the roof trimming in-house. The Tickford cars had no engineering changes undertaken to them, so they have the same performance as any Jaguar-built 3.6 XJS.

The background to the building of Cabriolets is no "mystery" as described in the advert. It's very well-known. All AMT did was add the new roof on an already converted bodyshell. The cars were built by Jaguar, the body was converted by Park Sheet Metal, the car was then fitted by Jaguar, despatched to AMT who did the roof and then returned to Jaguar for final detailing and despatch. The ebay description is completely misleading, the only correct thing is that roof completion moved back to Jaguar at the end of 1985 to streamline the process.

I think the metal dash panels are side-pipes have all been added on in later life.

So, I MIGHT be completely wrong, in which case I apologise, but I think it's not at all what it's described to be.

Paul

Old 05-06-2014 | 12:33 PM
|

Originally Posted by ptjs1
I know a reasonable amount about XJSs, but I'm somewhat confused by this car. I've not heard of an "AMT Super Cat".

If it's the one currently for sale on ebay, there seem to be some discrepancies in the description by the vendor, which might question whether he really knows what he's talking about.

It refers to the car having a 3.6 XK engine, which it clearly doesn't have. There is no such thing. All 3.6 XJSs use the AJ6 engine, which this car has.

The production stats quoted are wrong as well. There were many more than 150 3.6 Cabs built by Tickfords before Jaguar took back the roof trimming in-house. The Tickford cars had no engineering changes undertaken to them, so they have the same performance as any Jaguar-built 3.6 XJS.

The background to the building of Cabriolets is no "mystery" as described in the advert. It's very well-known. All AMT did was add the new roof on an already converted bodyshell. The cars were built by Jaguar, the body was converted by Park Sheet Metal, the car was then fitted by Jaguar, despatched to AMT who did the roof and then returned to Jaguar for final detailing and despatch. The ebay description is completely misleading, the only correct thing is that roof completion moved back to Jaguar at the end of 1985 to streamline the process.

I think the metal dash panels are side-pipes have all been added on in later life.

So, I MIGHT be completely wrong, in which case I apologise, but I think it's not at all what it's described to be.

Paul
My car is not the one for sale on ebay but a friend did see the ebay car and as mine is the same except for the exhaust and mine has the lock boxes and not the rear seat he thought that maybe mine was a AMT, I did phone the man on ebay to see if he could shed some light for me but couldn't really help other they to say that the AMT 1s came with the rear seat but on the tickford website it states that most were 3.6 manual with 2 seats and the 2 lockable boxes in the rear.
Tickford Owners Club

Many thanks people