XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1985 xjs coupe project. Vin *****120768

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 359 Posts
Default 1985 xjs coupe project. Vin *****120768

I recently acquired this XJS Coupe from an estate sale on 11/16/19.
The car was stripped completely for bodywork. Everything was removed from the interior and exterior of the car.
I am in the process of putting the car back together, but not having disassembled the car, I am having issues in figuring out what goes where.
So far, I have done the following and already made mistakes.
I have reinstalled the front and rear glass, door glass and the front and rear quarter glasses.
Mistakes?
1. Rear quarter glasses have to be removed again to install the trim panel.
2. Rear glass installed without the stainless steel trim.
3. Front glass installed, but I do not have the locking strip. I am hopeful that I will be able to find it at one of the suppliers.
I purchased a parts and Service manual, but it is barely legible. It looks as if it was copied 100 times and I got the 101st copy. So, it's pretty much useless.

The reason I put the glass on the car was because it has to stay outside, until I get it running.
To do so, I have to first drain the fuel tank of the 3 year old fuel which stinks to high heaven.
In the meantime, I have installed some other parts that only requires common sense. Front seats, Headlamps, Tail lamps and front and rear bumpers.
The chrome and rubber trim are not installed as yet as I have to locate the brackets that the trim attaches to the body with.
I believe I have most of the chrome trim for the body but I still have to do an inventory of all the parts I got with the car.
Here are some pics.

pile of parts to go through

Trim pieces

Rear Quarter glass has to be removed to install these

interior disassembled

interior rear
As it stands, I am now looking for a good paper copy or CD that shows the installation sequence of the various parts.
What manual or CD do you all recommend to assist me through this process.
I am trying to avoid doing the job 2 or 3 times before I get it right.
For sure, I will be posting questions from time to time.
Thanks in advance for any help I can get

Old 11-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

I also have the following extra parts if anyone needs them.
One Windshield
Two rear glass (Windscreen)
Right and Left doors with glass and working window regulators
Right and Left front fenders
Trunk Lid complete.
Front and Rear bumpers complete with stainless trim and side rubber pieces
As part of the purchase package I have 2 or 3 of a lot of the interior pieces needed

Rear glass

front glass

Right door

Left door

Right and Left front Fenders

Front and rear bumpers, complete with trim

Last edited by sanchez; 11-24-2019 at 07:11 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 11-24-2019, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Sanchez,

That is the correct manual, but if it's not legible, it seems as if you might have bought a pirate copy.
If you can't get a better copy, you could look out the 4-book paper copies but they do tend to got for big money.

Good luck

Paul

Old 11-24-2019, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

I am willing to spend the money to get the correct legible paper or CD copy for my needs.
Where from?

Old 11-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchez

As it stands, I am now looking for a good paper copy or CD that shows the installation sequence of the various parts.

A legible factory service manual and parts catalog would be helpful. New or good used versions are on Ebay. I posted a few links in your previous thread.

However, there is no commonly available manual written specifically to address reassembly of a disassembled car. They're not written from that perspective.

If you had something like a Mustang or Camaro you could buy the factory assembly manual....which was written for assembly line workers building the car. But, although Jaguar may have used such manuals, I've never seen any for sale, sadly.

I find the parts catalog most helpful when I need a memory refresher on what parts go where....but of course it gives no guidance on sequence of assembly such as your trim and glass dilemma

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Cheers
DD

Old 11-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Brave man! Good for you.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Doug, I agree with you. However, in the parts manual it gives you an idea of how things are put together. The rest then becomes common sense.
The CD is from one of the links you posted.
I will search for a paper manual as I go along.
There are lots of stuff I can do without the manual so I will proceed with those in the meantime. As the pile of parts gets reduced, the clearer things will become.
Today I removed one of the rear quarter windows I had installed previously to install the trim pieces but there is a special rivet to be installed for the stainless trim piece.
Anyone knows where I can get those? and if not available, what can I use in lieu of said rivets. I do not really want to glue it to the car. 3M Double sided tape will be my last option

Raised head rivet goes to the holes at pointers. The bottom hole(largest) use a small bolt and nut.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

I was able to purchase a printed version of the manual from Paul's Jag in Ft. Lauderdale. I should be receiving it by tomorrow afternoon.
Question: Has anyone used a Universal "Window Run Channel" for their car? BBC 6292 is NLA. The ones on my door was removed by the PO.
I found a small piece and it measures as follows: I was told to measure it this way.

Bottom width: 1/2 inch
Top Width: 5/8 inch
Height: 5/8 inch
Glass Channel: 3/16 inch.
Anyone?

Last edited by sanchez; 11-26-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add info