XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1985 XJS HE. Trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 XJS HE. Trouble starting

First off i would like to point out that the car has been sitting for a while untill recently. I have changed the oil and filter and not done much else other than tinker with it.

My problem is that if the car sits for a while (a few hours or overnight) it has a hard time getting cranked. The car will get cranked but then it will chug and the engine will not rev. If you pump the gas the engine will rev temporarily but if you hold the gas the engine will stall. There are a few sensors on the drivers side of the engine near the front of the car. One, i believe, is for lubrication i believe and another is near it but a little deeper in the engine. When that sensor is unplugged the car will idle at a higher rpm and rev at higher rpm when pumped.

After around 10 or 15 minutes of tinkering with the sensor and revving the engine the car will miraculously crank and purr like a jaguar is supposed to. The car will run fine all day if not allowed to sit for more than a few hours and it runs great and is probably capable of going way faster than i am willing to drive it on its current rotten tires.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have read and looked around quite a bit. The only thing that sounded right is a problem with the "cold start sensor", but I'm not sure where to locate it or what to do about it. I read that the purpose of the sensor is to warm the car up for the first few minutes the car is cranked. Here in South Carolina, this car is going to have no problem staying warm.

I think that could be a possible source of the problem, but i'm not sure how to go about determining if it is the problem or how to fix it. If anyone knows how or knows a better sounding cause for my problem please let me know.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:21 PM

Update: I drained the gas tank today and put some premium fuel in. I didn't bother putting in much and i'm probably going to put in some fuel system cleaner before i fill it up. there was probably a quart or more of oil in the fuel i drained out and the fuel was cloudy and obviously bad. The car cranked easily and ran way better than before. I'll have to wait for a little while and see if this fixed my reoccurring problem with starting

Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Update: changing the gas did not help with my upstart problem, although the car does run much better when its started without all the crud in the gas. Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be? The car will crank but then stall when given gas. After about 15 minutes of tinkering it runs like a charm.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Lots of "could be" items and you may well have a stack up of different faults contributing to the problem.

Might as well start with something easy: the coolant temp sensor for the fuel injection. The CTS plays a major role in fuel control on a cold engine. If you have a multi-meter you can check the sensor or for $20 or so just replace it. Also carefully check the connector for corrosion or weak contacts.

Not related to your problem but once you get it running right you'll want to replace the fuel hoses in the engine bay. If they start leaking you could have a real problem on your hands.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
TrentW (08-09-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

If fresh gas helped then a fresh fuel filter may also help. Else it sounds like the cold start injector may not be doing its job.

The following users liked this post:
TrentW (08-09-2011)