XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1986 Windshield and Rear Glass Replacement Issues—Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddrods
I just had the windscreen seal replaced on my 90 XJS and we had no problems. I bought the seal from Welsh(i think). They told me that alot of installers will say the seal is too large but if it is installed correctly it will fit without mods. They were right! It's all in how the seal is installed apparently. The guy let me help which is a huge plus for me. No more leaks!
Oddrods, sorry to bring up an older thread but I was wondering if you've further insight on the installation...did you and the installer put the gasket on the glass first? Car first? Any details would be helpful. Thanks, JT

Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

Have an assistant!
I replaced both rubber gaskets (front and rear) in the '83 I once owned.

The rear was a cake walk. Install the gasket on the glass, install the chrome trim in the gasket.

Put a length of stout cord in the body groove in the gasket (free length of cord ends in the middle of the bottom); offer the entire assembly up to the opening in the body work and pull both ends of the cord.

Easy really... The front windshield is a bit more work. Put the gasket into rough position in the body. Offer up the windshield to the gasket and using wood paint stirrers carefully work the gasket up over the glass and body work.

A bit more difficult but not terribly so. Then assemble the chrome trim. No need to cut anything!

You can do it!

Last edited by JimC64; 10-01-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: please add line breaks
The following users liked this post:
rgp (07-01-2016)
Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting Roger, you put the front gasket on the body first. I had contemplated that.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I replaced the front one and it leaked like mad, and no wonder: Some of the gaps between glass and body were up to an inch! I tried the seal without cutting at the rear, and yes it would sit nicely. But it still leaked all over the place. The reason was again the production tolerances of the body. If that had not been an issue Jaguar would not have used mastic. I have repaced seals on quite a few cars over the years (just using the seal) and much as I loved the car the production tolerances on the XJ-S window apertures were really the worst.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Per, helpful info...use mastic, I get that.....more helpful, did you go rubber to body first? Rubber to windscreen then rope pull it in on the XJS?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I did both my screens a couple of months ago. I used Polyurethane Sikaflex on the rear, the rear rubbers do not fit correctly and sit proud in the upper corners. I installed the rubber on the car then installed the screen. Use a squirt bottle with soapy water, I bought a few of those cheap trim tools off eBay to install the screen they worked well.

I then Sikaflexed the rubber to the window and held it down with masking tape, once dry I then sealed the rubber to the car.

Front screen was similar rubber to the car then insert the screen lots of soapy water then mastic. I then used Sikaflex to fill between the rubber and the car. If you leave the lower corners with a low spot water will pol and could cause rust.

You MUST use a neutral cure silicone/silastic. Regular bathroom silicone is acidic cure and can cause the car to rust.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Warren, I've got plenty of the plastic "tools" from harbor frieght as I figured they would come in handy for this. Fear is in breaking it! I get one shot to do it right.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Be careful and take your time. I did a test fit and had a helper to put gentle pressure on the glass.

I did not install the rubber on the car for the rear I installed the rubber on the screen first. Old age got my memory.

The rear screen I put the rubber on the screen inserted the bottom rubber on the car then on the inside worked around prying the rubber over the lip. Then outside again and pry the rubber outwards so it sits correctly. I then sealed the rubber to the screen and taped it and left it to dry. Once dry I sealed between the ar and rubber.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 PM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 292 Posts

when I did my front screen I found that by offering the seal up to the body it appeared oversize but after consulting a guy at grange jaguar I fitted it to the glass and then the car, it was a one man job and even the string was not really necessary, the chrome took twice as long to refit, make sure you seal the screw/rivets holes and the top chrome to body joint or you may get wet knees

Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the front seal does seem way too big. I also found by warming the seal it helped get the window in. Pop the seal in a bath tub of hot water.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rgp
when I did my front screen I found that by offering the seal up to the body it appeared oversize but after consulting a guy at grange jaguar I fitted it to the glass and then the car, it was a one man job and even the string was not really necessary, the chrome took twice as long to refit, make sure you seal the screw/rivets holes and the top chrome to body joint or you may get wet knees

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that the removal of the trim and reinstall of it properly will be the biggest part of the job, like painting a car it's the prep that costs ya and takes the most time not the actual paint job.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:25 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 292 Posts

my memory was playing tricks with me. I got it round the wrong way in the previous windscreen post, I was told to fit the rubber to the body and then the glass to the rubber, not as I stated rubber on glass first

Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyhunter2k
I should probably introduce myself first. I bought a Regent Grey 1986 XJ-S about 1.5 years ago and have been slowly restoring it. I never really meant to restore it. I meant to replace the carpet and repaint it. But one thing led to another and here I am. I'll start another thread about the entire project later.

My current problem involves replacing the front and rear glass. I bought used glass off Ebay and both the front and back are pristine. After several companies declined to install it either because as they said "we don't do Jaguars" or "we don't install glass we don't provide" an installer was found who agreed to install front and rear glass and charge per hour.

I ordered what appears to be the ONLY front/rear gaskets for the windshield, front gasket number BDC7178 and rear gasket number BD44393.

The installer swears that the front rubber aftermarket gasket does not have a groove into which the chrome trim fits as with the original Jaguar rubber gasket. One problem I have just realized is that I did NOT order the second piece for the front glass—a rubber "lockstrip" that is to be installed after the gasket. Is this the problem? Does this lockstrip help to secure the chrome trim in any way?

On the rear glass, the installer swears that the aftermarket rear gasket rubber BD44393 is too large to fit, saying it is much puffier than the original rear gasket it replaces. I found several remarks online from XJ-S owners saying that glass installers originally thought either the front or rear or BOTH gaskets were too large at first, but later realized they would fit if installed correctly.

It looks like the ONLY current supplier of the front and rear windshield gaskets and lockstrip is APA/URO. Has anyone else had an issue with installing the front/rear glass using their gaskets?

Thanks to any that respond. I need to get this done so that they car can finally leave the shop after 1 year and go to paint. Believe me, you will all want to see it when it's done.

Seth
The parts you are describing are garbage, I had the same gaskets installed and they are junk, they are too big and bulky compared to the original gaskets. And they were URO, same part numbers, and the back gasket has the same problem, too bulky leaving the window too far out from the body of the car.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto glass place in Texas

I don't have experience on that, but contacted a local glass outfit that has 3 locations in Texas and they seem to know how to do it. I've pasted their response to my inquiry below. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your interest in Texan Glass Express. We are experience with that yr/make/model. My manager has been doing auto/residential glass for about 25yrs. Now, that would be something he would like to do in our shop only and you are providing the gaskets correct? We would charge $125.00 on each glass, making it $250.00 to work on your car. My manager has worked on those particular cars and I mentioned the tech. that tried to work on your car, he's stated he might be a little inexperience, because those are one of the easiest Jaguars to work on. Just let us know if your interested in us working on your vehicle, and also if you have any questions feel free to contact out office and ask for Shayne, that our manager.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1983 Jaguar XJS reinstalling rear window chrome trim

I realize this thread is about 1-1/2 years old from the last post, but ...

I have replaced my front windshield (windscreen to say if properly) and a new seal, chrome trim, etc. - all went well.

I had leaks galore, so I removed the windshield and the rubber seal, dried everything out thoroughly, let it dry in my garage a few more days, then I put it back in using 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound 08509 ( 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound 1/10 gal cartridge 08509 ) in the rubber channel which goes to the metal body and the rubber channel which the glass sets in.

No leaks (it's been about a 1-1/2 since I did the front).

Naturally, I had also replaced the rubber seal at the rear window when I replaced the front (the original windshield was pitted and I could not see through it when facing into the sun as it just all lit up ... the rear only leaked a little bit, so I put removing it and sealing off until this weekend.

I removed the new(ish) rear window rubber seal and replaced it with a new one I purchased, using the same 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound (I ordered it through NAPA), not a real problem replacing the rubber and reinstalling the rear glass.

BUT ... I have not been able to figure out the trick to get the chrome trim back on the rubber seal and into the slots it goes into.

I have the new(ish) rubber seal (duplicate of what is in there now) and I can see exactly where the chrome trim hooks over and into, and the lip which needs to be slipped over the inside edge of the chrome trim ... but I simply cannot get the chrome trim hook (for lack of a better term) hooked into the slit it goes into, then pushed up onto the rubber seal so it fits tight.
I fell like I've been going round and round and ... but not getting anywhere

Any tips on doing this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

The following users liked this post:
xjsv12 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryPeck

I have replaced my front windshield (windscreen to say if properly) and a new seal, chrome trim, etc. - all went well.

I had leaks galore, so I removed the windshield and the rubber seal, dried everything out thoroughly, let it dry in my garage a few more days, then I put it back in using 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound 08509 ( 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound 1/10 gal cartridge 08509 ) in the rubber channel which goes to the metal body and the rubber channel which the glass sets in.

Naturally, I had also replaced the rubber seal at the rear window when I replaced the front (the original windshield was pitted and I could not see through it when facing into the sun as it just all lit up ... the rear only leaked a little bit, so I put removing it and sealing off until this weekend.

I removed the new(ish) rear window rubber seal and replaced it with a new one I purchased, using the same 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound (I ordered it through NAPA), not a real problem replacing the rubber and reinstalling the rear glass.

BUT ... I have not been able to figure out the trick to get the chrome trim back on the rubber seal and into the slots it goes into.

I have the new(ish) rubber seal (duplicate of what is in there now) and I can see exactly where the chrome trim hooks over and into, and the lip which needs to be slipped over the inside edge of the chrome trim ... but I simply cannot get the chrome trim hook (for lack of a better term) hooked into the slit it goes into, then pushed up onto the rubber seal so it fits tight.

Thanks,

Jerry
I did not renew seal on my last (1989) but l removed the entire rear glass complete with seal and trim in place. Lower corner trim pieces were removed seperately.
Replacement was in one piece also using cord method. I suspect the trim may need to be fitted to the rubber prior to fitting to body apature.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:05 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryPeck

Thanks,

Jerry
for the back glass, I put the rubber on the glass, then put on the chrome trim and installed, for front glass, I placed the rubber on the surround, the the glass as mentioned in previous post

Old 06-06-2016, 11:02 AM

I replaced both front and rear screen gaskets in the '83 I owned and neither was difficult. On the rear glass install the gasket around the glass, assemble the chrome trim into the gasket. To install the glass with gasket into the car put a length of strong cord into the groove in the gasket with the ends of the cord hanging out at the inside bottom center. An assistant is really necessary for this; offer the glass/gasket/trim assembly up to the opening in the body WITH YOUR CORD IN PLACE. Go inside the car and while your assistant holds the glass in place in the body opening carefully pull the cord through to the inside of the car. As the cord is pulled through it pulls the edge of the gasket over the body and voila! Glass installed. No cutting of any trim, gasket or heartburn required. Time involved 5 minutes, maybe...

Now the front gasket requires a similar but different technique with your assistant.
Silicone spray can help, and wooden paint stirrers (or very similar) and 2 glass install suction cups (to hold the screen) are absolutely essential. First of all the front screen gasket is substantially larger than the glass AND REQUIRES NO TRIMMING OF ANY SORT ANYWHERE!

The gasket is installed in the opening in the bodywork. It won't stay in place but don't worry as you install the glass it will. Working with your assistant and using enough padding (large, folded blanket or similar) to protect the glass, lay the front glass inside down on the padding and securely attach your suction cups, appropriateley spaced to the outside of the screen. Be sure that the gasket is properly placed over the body work at the bottom with the seam in the gasket centered. Carefully work the gasket over the glass all the way around using the wooden paint stirrers and silicone spray. Install the chrome trim. On my '83 it worked like a charm. I had no leaks and didn't cut the gasket.

Last edited by Roger95; 06-06-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, it seems the easy procedure for the rear glass is to install the rubber/glass/chrome as a unit into the body opening using the rope technique (I used the rope technique on the front windscreen I replaced on a 1967 E-Type I had years ago, so I am familiar with that).

However ... the above means I will need to take it all back out and assemble it together before installing it.

Originally Posted by Roger95
Now the front gasket requires a similar but different technique with you assistant.
Silicone spray can help, and wooden paint stirrers (or very similar) and 2 glass install suction cups (to hold the screen) are absolutely essential. First of all the front screen gasket is substantially larger than the glass AND REQUIRES NO TRIMMING OF ANY SORT ANYWHERE!

The gasket is installed in the opening in the bodywork. It won't stay in place but don't worry as you install the glass it will. Working with your assistant and using enough padding (large, folded blanket or similar) to protect the glass, lay the front glass inside down on the padding and securely attach your suction cups, appropriateley spaced to the outside of the screen. Be sure that the gasket is properly placed over the body work at the bottom with the seam in the gasket centered. Carefully work the gasket over the glass all the way around using the wooden paint stirrers and silicone spray. Install the chrome trim. On my '83 it worked like a charm. I had no leaks and didn't cut the gasket.
I didn't need rope, or silicone of anything when I installed my front screen, and to keep the rubber gasket in place, I used that blue painter's tape and tape it to the body. I also didn't need suction cups, my assistant held one end of the glass as I sets the bottom in place, working gasket out over the glass from the bottom center out, then up and around both side and to the top.

I agree DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY CUTTING OR TRIMMING of the gasket ... even the rear gasket DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY CUTTING OR TRIMMING ... keep both gaskets one molded piece.

Looks like I will need to remove the rear glass one more time ... (should be able to do it blindfolded by now) ...

Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Sorry to say you will have to take the rear glass out, assemble and re-install.
As your front screen is in, give thanks!
I remember getting my advice from Coventry West in Georgia. I purchased my gaskets from CW and they were very helpful with advising me on the install. My original gaskets were dry rotted and needed replacement.

Quick Reply: 1986 Windshield and Rear Glass Replacement Issues—Please help!