XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 Jaguar XJS - Alternator to the ol Air Pump Position.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021 | 11:09 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default 1990 Jaguar XJS - Alternator to the ol Air Pump Position.

Good Morning Folks...

Been over stretched with mounting car projects and, even though it's late in the season, I want to get this doggone AC working in Lovely Lady XJS. Highway, I can survive without AC, top down, but city, where I live - can't even drive her. Just tooooo hot.

Was talking with a FMember and friend. He's giving me an Air Pump and bracket with adjusting arm. The plan is to use it as a pulley for the AC belt. He suggested just placing a high amp GM alternator in the place of the air pump, eliminating a belt, and sharing the AC belt with the Alternator. I like the idea and always thought that one day I would like to make this change anyways. Raising the alt to the air pump position.

What do I need to know???

I've read Bernard E's sight about the change and surely will again. It's a little wordy for me. I guess I'm a nuts and bolts kinda guy.

One thing. I saw a GM cs130 160amp alternator, chrome, for $120 bucks! Will 160 amps blow up an XJS? Is there a max that can be introduced in the XJS?

Second thing, if using the bracket for the Air Pump where and at what "clock" position (looking from the cabin) do the mounting and adjustment holes need to be?

Third, the pulley. Is it a 10mm V pulley and Belt?

Help me out here Brothas...
I have and want to make this as painless as possible.
It's 110 degrees out there on that blacktop...
​​​​​​

Last edited by JayJagJay; 06-28-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2021 | 11:25 AM

I’m in the middle of this right now. It’s mocked up, but nothing is final. It’s a 13mm belt, so you will need to change the pulley. The stock belt is also too long. You’ll need a spacer to go behind the alternator on the bracket, the air pump’s mounts are much further apart than the alternator’s. Not sure yet about tensioning the belt, the air pump tensioner seems too long but it may work.

Old 06-28-2021 | 01:59 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by garethashenden
I’m in the middle of this right now. It’s mocked up, but nothing is final. It’s a 13mm belt, so you will need to change the pulley. The stock belt is also too long. You’ll need a spacer to go behind the alternator on the bracket, the air pump’s mounts are much further apart than the alternator’s. Not sure yet about tensioning the belt, the air pump tensioner seems too long but it may work.

Pictures worth 1000000 words! Thanks for that!

So, for the tensioner. Looks like you are right there at the last threads! Would it be possible to make an extended L shaped bracket on the engine side,,, have it extend 2 to 3 more inches,,, and in that one might not have to make up the added distance on the block bracket side?

How about a bigger pulley wheel.

Beware. Bernard E says that the smaller pulley wheel on the alternator makes it so the fan belt adjustment can cause some interference in the belt travel...

Looks like it's going to be a THING!

Thanks much!
​​​​​​

Old 06-28-2021 | 02:05 PM
|
Veteran Member

What I was trying to explain,,,, extend this L shape 2-3 inches...

Old 06-28-2021 | 02:09 PM
|
Veteran Member

Check out this link. Guy gives some good advise, facts and figures... Plus the belt that will help. Plus the potential problem with the fan belt tensioner set up...

Maybe I'll just do the gutted air pump technique and wait til fall to really dig into the move of the alt and duel use as pulley for air con. I wonder if having the 2 appliances on the one belt would be tooooo much for the belt set up. Alternator and AC on one belt....?

Last edited by JayJagJay; 06-28-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2021 | 03:37 PM

I should have said this in my first post, sorry. The pulley on the alternator is the stock 10mm pulley. I have a bigger 13mm one, I just haven't gotten around to installing it. This is also the stock belt. When I use the shorter belt and the bigger pulley I'll be within range of the air pump's tensioner. I'm getting rid of the belt driven fan, replacing it with a pair of electric ones, so the fan belt tensioner isn't an issue.

Old 06-29-2021 | 09:48 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by garethashenden
I should have said this in my first post, sorry. The pulley on the alternator is the stock 10mm pulley. I have a bigger 13mm one, I just haven't gotten around to installing it. This is also the stock belt. When I use the shorter belt and the bigger pulley I'll be within range of the air pump's tensioner. I'm getting rid of the belt driven fan, replacing it with a pair of electric ones, so the fan belt tensioner isn't an issue.
I envy folks that have been able to move to the electric fan direction. I will be eventually. Money matters...

Seems to fall in the line of conversation since we are talking about adding additional electrical appliances (fans) - and my original question - is it ok to place a 160 amp alternator in the XJS?

Old 06-29-2021 | 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
is it ok to place a 160 amp alternator in the XJS?
I put one that tested at 180 amps in mine, but I did run a bigger wire from the alternator to the firewall stud. I personally wouldn't trust the stock cable from the alternator.

What's wrong with the AC in your car?