XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 Jaguar XJS Boot/Trunk Lock Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default 1990 Jaguar XJS Boot/Trunk Lock Hardware

Were there two (or more) styles of trunk/boot lock used in XJS production over the years?

All I can think is that the previous owner mixed and matched some parts and ran into the same problem as I did/am...

The actuator,,, it's hardware and structure DON'T line up with the hardware for the open close handle. On the original hard ware AND the one I received from Paul's Jag (complete assembly with E actuator) the SLOT in the handle does not line up with the hole that the SHAFT of the actuator slides thru...

Where there two different styles of trunk/boot lock folks have come across?

On the handle, the receiver is centered. On the actuator frame out, it's at an angle... PITA... The original (well,,, it was on the car went I got it) is the same. Off to the side. Any suggestions?

This is the old bit, came with the car... Like the new bit from Paul's, you can see that the shaft and slot can't align. Anyways,,,,, damn.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Bump...

I can't find anything on this... describing changes and differences over model years OR how anyone has solved the puzzle of the boot lock actuator and lining up the actuator shaft with the slot on the lock barrel. Anyone?
​​​​​

Old 07-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 808 Posts

I'm sorry I have no answer for you other than to suggest looking at the parts blow up at Jaguar or SNGBarratts. They have divided the xjs listings in half, with the breaking point at 1991. Sorry I cant help more.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Jerry, thanks, really! I have tried that, exhaustively, and the photos and illustrations are not detailed enough. I have also called a couple places to find that some/many are not at desks due to the global pandemic. Very frustrating.

If I plug the doggone thing in, it works beautifully, the actuation-action. Just can't get the thing to sit correctly. Any pics I have seen of the actuator, none of the barrel section of the assembly, shows the actuator arm in the same position, just off to the left hand side of center, on the frameout of the assembly. Crazy maker, lol

Old 07-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Sure enough...
just got in from my XJS 4th O July road trip, grabbed my book and BAM... It looks like there were two different parts, a split, bit I still can't tell which one I have in my hand. They are for the most part, look alikes...

Old 07-08-2020, 06:33 AM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Hello JJJ

Can't help you with the locking question - but I will advise that when you put the lock back in - get someone you can trust and lay in the boot before you shut it - just in case it does not open again. As a few of us have found out - it is very hard ti get into the boot if the lock doesn't work as planned.

I have my wife on the outside, she doesn't particularly like shutting me in the boot, but it is quite comfortable once you are in there. Just make sure you can get access to the bottom latch bolts and the spanners to suit to get yourself out if necessary

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-08-2020, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bez74
Hello JJJ

Can't help you with the locking question - but I will advise that when you put the lock back in - get someone you can trust and lay in the boot before you shut it - just in case it does not open again. As a few of us have found out - it is very hard ti get into the boot if the lock doesn't work as planned.

I have my wife on the outside, she doesn't particularly like shutting me in the boot, but it is quite comfortable once you are in there. Just make sure you can get access to the bottom latch bolts and the spanners to suit to get yourself out if necessary

Cheers
Steve
Haha! Actually, I spent the 4th of July in the trunk,,, it was either THAT or the dog house. I chose the trunk! Its a long long loóooooong story, and I won't bore you with it. But I'm sure you could relate 😂