XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 Jaguar XJS Convertible - Door Handle Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021 | 10:36 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default 1990 Jaguar XJS Convertible - Door Handle Linkage

No no no no fun...lol
My driver's door was getting harder and harder to open. Compared to the passengers side door, it was never right. Passengers side you just lift the handle a bit and the door pops open to welcome you. Drivers, got to the point where I had to pull it more than was good.

So, after an exhaustive search (Terry's Jag who has the item on their website left me in limbo for weeks but didn't have in stock),,, I replaced the upper most clip/holder for the linkage for the door handle release. The outer handle.

Omgoodness - I could have removed the rear axle faster... What a fiddly thing. How I ended up clipping it in finally was from the outside. I released what I think was a 5/16ths bolt that holds the whole handle assembly in place,,, then undid the auto lock assembly motor (NOT THE CLIPS!) and then wiggled the handle around from the outside (without undoing ANY other link clips) and used a needle nose to squish the plastic clip through the hole... Was not possible with fingers.

I would strongly suggest not undoing or removing any clips and links. I didn't - knowing there would be trouble.

Found this Landrover clip as a substitute replacement for the Jaguar OE part. They are exactly the same...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264926849874

much smaller space than it looks.

The following users liked this post:
ptjs1 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 03:33 PM
|
Veteran Member

Actually, there's one more thing to add to this. It wasn't the rubber/plastic insert and its clip that was difficult to get in (although that wasn't completely straight forward either), it was the SUPER curved link itself - and where it rests. The plastic bit will not go in with the steel link/arm inserted as one. After the plastic and steel clip is installed in the hole of the handle,,, the link then has to be inserted and that's where the (fun) contorting begins.

Due to the age (and minor complexity) of everything in the door I was hesitant to undo anything else and that's when I noticed I might get just a liiiiitle more play in the handle on the outside of the door IF I unbolted the lock solenoid off of the inner wall of the door. From there, it was only MINOR (as opposed to MAJOR) contorting, cursing and strange gestures... Unlike one of our favorite friends here,,, the frustration cant be soothed with beers or strong beverage, lol...

​​​​

​​​​​​

Old 03-17-2021 | 07:34 PM

I feel your pain XJS-brother! I put up with opening the door rom the inside for years after taking the door panel off and surveying the black hole of linkage. Deciding to throw caution to the wind, I tried, unsuccessfully, to find a source for the "fiddly" parts needed. Giving up, I brought the car to my trusted shop and got a call the next morning to come get it...all done. Moral of the story is Know When To Give Up, lol. Besides, we always have other repairs on the to do list.
Dave in AZ