XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 Jaguar XJS - Differential Speedometer Sensor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020 | 05:21 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default 1990 Jaguar XJS - Differential Speedometer Sensor Removal

I thought this might help someone down the line.

Since getting this Ol Lady and doing things one struggle I have had is a non working Speedometer. I use a GPS readout but would like to get ot working someday, but that's not what this is about.

Once, early on, I had removed what looks like paint can tops that are glued in place on the space in the boot UNDER the shelf for the gas tank. I'd pried off the covers/body seal covers which allowed me to kind of reach into the holes and get to the 2 10mm bolts that hold the sensor to the diff. Its not hard, working by feel, but it requires prying off and then re-gluing what I have been referring to as "paint can cover" style body seals/enclosures... I did NOT want to have to do that again in order to get to the bolts to work on the sensor again, so I have been putting the job (speedometer) offfff. Anyways,,,

Today I removed the RH rear wheel because I wanted to inspect something. Removed the wheel to see, after shining a light around in there, that the Speedo sensor and it's bolts are pretty easy to reach, undo, deal with and redo, from the RH rear wheel arch with the tire off. So,,, I'm reporting that here for the next guy or gal that is wondering how to approach getting to the sensor.

In the photo,,, for one you can see that my sensor is shattered. Clearly made contact with the innerdz of the diff after I had placed it when I had the cage out last fall. I put it back together, after trying to right measure the distance between the sensor tip and teething on the diff, and "wisely" left off 2 of the 3 shims from the OLD sensor I was replacing. I'm guessing that the new/used one immediately came in contact with the gearing teeth and shattered right away. Yup,,, I ain't so bright,,,

Anywho.

In the next photo you can see my hand, but not the sensor. I promise you that my hand there is on the TOP of the sensor on the diff, all within reach. It took me 10 min to get it out, a little longer to replace. Its a tough little spot, still

Hope this helps the next unfortunate who, like me, has this diff Speedo sensor set up that AIN'T working. For me, its been nothing but a non working PITA... No Speedometer, no trip computer, no cruise control. PITA...

Arm reached in with hand on sensor backing and bolts. Back side of the cage on the RH wheel well arch area. That spring on the right is the RH rear most of the two shocks.

Speedo Sensor out of the diff. Black plastic housing is partly missing,,, white is the part of the gizmo that holds the metalic section of the sensor shaft and,,, anyways done BROKE.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-23-2020 at 05:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
Greg in France (08-24-2020), orangeblossom (08-23-2020), ptjs1 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020 | 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

JJJ,

Tks for that suggestion! When I last removed and replaced mine, I just did it from underneath, which as you will know is a really quite difficult to do!

I'll try your way next time!

Paul

Old 08-24-2020 | 08:31 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
JJJ,

Tks for that suggestion! When I last removed and replaced mine, I just did it from underneath, which as you will know is a really quite difficult to do!

I'll try your way next time!

Paul
No problem... And I hope that your "next time" is a long long ways down the road... And shoot, maybe when I can get my hands on a new/used in diff sensor you can help me out by walking me thru a few readings from your working system, at a point or two in the electrics...

Now that my list of things isn't as long, I think I'll be able to focus on the remaining trouble spots a bit more carefully to resolve them. We shall see. Cheers!

Old 08-24-2020 | 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

My memory on this may be incorrect, but I thought there was an access panel in the trunk that gives you access to the Differential Speedometer Sensor...?