XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 Jaguar XJS - Door mounted mirror internals

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021 | 10:00 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default 1990 Jaguar XJS - Door mounted mirror internals

Good Morning folks

NYC I'm learning is a punishing place for a car. Either it gave out OR someone put the hard TWIST on my passenger side mirror. It's floppy and doesn't hold it's position.

Has anyone ever taken the mirror apart and know what the internals look like and how it functions to fold inwards, say when parked or what have you?

If there are some bits and pieces that might need replacing I'm asking you all for a head start so I might gather up what I need before I pull the mirror off the door.

Any suggestions or advise - of course
GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-17-2021 | 10:54 AM
|
Veteran Member

I found this link which shed a lot O light...

So, my question, still. The mirror is still essentially in the right place. Wobbles more than it did. It did work/fold before but felt a bit wonky... Now, the spring that I see in the photo offers no resistance what so ever. Seems like that locking spring nut must still be in place BUT, maybe it just slid down a bit...?

The photos in the linked thread give me hope. Thinking that after I unscrew the mirror from the door/body I might just have to figure out a way to recompress that locking slotted nutt...

Old 05-17-2021 | 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Jay,

that thread shows how I fixed the problem in my mirrors. I suspect that you'll find that the starlock washer has slipped out of the groove. It is the starlock washer which holds everything together.

As you've realised, the big challenge is how to compress the spring and get the starlock washer to move down and engage in the groove. You will see that I used a valve spring compressor.

Good luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (08-29-2022)
Old 05-18-2021 | 10:04 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Jay,

that thread shows how I fixed the problem in my mirrors. I suspect that you'll find that the starlock washer has slipped out of the groove. It is the starlock washer which holds everything together.

As you've realised, the big challenge is how to compress the spring and get the starlock washer to move down and engage in the groove. You will see that I used a valve spring compressor.

Good luck

Paul
Haha... Your a mind reader.

I haven't taken it apart yet but I think you are right and the starlock (good name) has kinda worked it's way down and out of place. I've been thinking and thinking about what I might use to press it back down and BINGO, here you come with the answer. I have a valve compressor... A looooong time ago I purchased 2 cylinder heads (I could pass up the price) and when I got them I stripped them of their valves and springs. Hence, a valve spring compressor. I'll break it out for this, lol
Thanks Paul!

Old 05-18-2021 | 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Jay,

Do remember to wrap up the mirror body with plenty of rags to protect it. The alignment of the shaft does not sit cleanly with a flat surface on the mirror body when you use the compressor, so be careful not to scratch or damage the mirror when you you're compressing the spring and starlock.

Cheers

Paul

Old 05-18-2021 | 02:21 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Jay,

Do remember to wrap up the mirror body with plenty of rags to protect it. The alignment of the shaft does not sit cleanly with a flat surface on the mirror body when you use the compressor, so be careful not to scratch or damage the mirror when you you're compressing the spring and starlock.

Cheers

Paul
Got ya! Many thanks!

Old 08-28-2022 | 04:12 PM

This and the other thread referred to in this one (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ing-up-225006/) helped me rebuild both my floppy passenger side door mirror and my seized drivers side mirror.
I was going to epoxy the mirror solid until I read through these threads so thanks to everyone who contributed, especially Paul/ptjs1.

I too used a valve spring compressor to recompress the mirror spring and managed to reuse both star washers. I was worried about the force exerted on the case of the mirror by the other end of the spring compressor so constructed a simple frame to hold the mirror body and spread the force. It worked very well. Pictures below.
I actually used a mini blowtorch/lighter to heat the sleeves to get them to release from the mirror shafts. Both were really rusted on there. A week of being submerged in WD40 and wiggling got me nowhere. The mini blowtorch allowed me to apply very targeted and small amounts of heat without damaging the cable running within the mirror shaft.

Last edited by paddyx350; 08-28-2022 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (08-29-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Chris,

I like the idea of your wooden mount! Well done! Much better than my original attempt just wrapping the mirror up in rags!

Good work!

Paul