XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 Jaguar XJS - Electric Cooling Radiator Fans

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Jay

I hope you bought a Garage with a House Attached! and not the other way round, as when you own an XJS the Garage could well be the place where you spend most of your time and so you have to get your priorities right from the start

As for the Fan, does the Fan Speed Controller have to be Manually operated and Constantly 'Tweaked' and Adjusted during your journey, according to the prevailing Ambient Temps or Conditions, or do you just set it and forget it?

If I went back to Electric, I definitely think I would keep a Power Pack Jump Start in the Boot/Trunk just in case I was Stuck in Traffic and my Battery ran Flat, where my biggest Nightmare would be not having enough Battery Power to restart the Car if I went somewhere, so that I couldn't get home

Have you considered a more Heavy Duty aftermarket Fan Controller, than supplied with the Kit as there seem to be plenty on Amazon that might do the Job

Carry on like this Jay and Never mind the 'Sticky' they will soon be sending you Free Stuff to try out

Alex
Ahhhhhh,,, OB. No one eases my mind, calms my worries, like you do, lol... My new garage was made for horse drawn buggies! It will have to be widened, and of course it's made of brick! Never ends, this work stuff.

What I REALLY considered for a little while was seeing if I could figure out the SPECS,,, and getting some sort of car manufacturers OE PWM system to work in the XJS. For durability and long life reasons. Not much came of this idea.
This controller (check the site) is by far the most industrial over made device I've seen out there.

We'll have to see - but according to Auto Cool Dude it's a set it and forget it kind of thing. But here's what I'm thinking.

There are areas on the rad that, when the car is not zipping down the road, are NOT getting air drawn thru due to the size and the WAY the fans are mounted directly to the rad (which they say ain't good anyways)...

Now that I see everything together (not even close to overwhelmed as I was anymore), I can see how much room I have, what it would take, so I think my next step is to make a very thin shroud,,, 1/2 to 3/4 inches off the rad.

All it would take is a right sized rectangle, with 2 large holes cut, 4 bends, then bolted right to the underside radiator cross brace, then figuring out fasteners down below. A couple of vents. I have TWO sets of those OE rubber vent flaps. This would create much more air draw thru all fins. It would HAVE to be more efficient... No?

As soon as I finish moving, I plan to dive in. Plans, lolololololol... I'll have a NEW boss. Under the SAME roof all of a sudden. I need to remember this, when laying plans....

Old 10-18-2022, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Hi Jay

Let's hope the 'New Boss' is Low Maintenance, because if your going to make a Shroud you want to get yourself a Plasma Cutter, as I'm making a Waste Oil Heater out of Stainless Steel which would be good for a Shroud as although it was only a Cheap one, under $200 (Similar to the Cut 40 on Amazon) even at only half cranked up, it cuts Stainless Steel like a Knife Through Butter!

Or maybe you could modify the Shroud that you took out?

When I went Electric the very first time round, I just used Store Bought Brackets, with a few extra holes and they worked Perfect!

Making Bottom Brackets for my Electric Fan Shroud

Old 10-18-2022, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

JJJ
Fans mounted on the rad directly are very efficient, in fact the most efficient placing for them possible. The only concern is if the fan fixings start to abrade or otherwise damage the rad fins. I would just keep an eye on it and see what happens, as it is likely it will be fine. Just be sure the nylon fixings are good enough. On a friend's car I thought the things that came with the fan were not, and I used top notch cable ties, with the clip end cut off and thus made into open ended fixings, and used washers with rubber pads glued to them to protect the rad; has worked perfectly for years.
My fans are fixed at the bottom to the under-rad cross member, but via struts and rubber cotton reels over studs welded to the cross member. Something similar at the top. It was a LOT of work and trouble to get it right, but worth it as no vibration is transmitted to the chassis at all, and it is a very simple job to remove the fan chassis. If you make a shroud, its vibration insulation is a vital consideration. The OEM one has rubber grommets for this purpose, and of course the radiator itself sits on rubber pads so your current arrangement will also be vibration insulated. I think that if I did mine again I would fix the things directly to the rad, or if not, have a shroud actually welded to the rad tanks. Then you get all the ease, all the security and no vibration problems.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (10-18-2022)