XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 Jaguar XJS Rear Wing Vents Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default 1990 Jaguar XJS Rear Wing Vents Drain?

I'm on a short holiday and had the bright idea of messing around with rust in the LH rear wing. Just behind the rear tire closest to the ground. In the boot, associated with this area is a shelf on the LH side of the boot interior and behind that a 'pocket' that bottoms out - the outermost pocket section is the exterior wall of the rear of the car, interior of the pocket is a wall of sheet metal that runs right along side the rear most silencer. Y'all know what I mean.

Anyways,,, it was a disaster in there. It didn't take long and my finger was poking thru,,, middle finger that is... Among many relics and fossils, I found a small hole that lead to exterior, that was in straight shot of the rear wheel where water, dirt and everything that you don't want entering the car in a hidden spot was making its way in for a good while.

Also, down in that pocket, was a section of clear (long since yellowed) hose (long since detached) and a rubber elbow that BARELY was attached to a spot that appeared to (ages ago) vent out to the exterior of the car in that wing area. The elbow was attached to a steel spout built into the steel of the wing itself... What was that when the car was new? A drain for the rear windows... The battery? I have no idea but do have real fears that I'm going to end up with permanent puddle back there if I don't reproduce that drain,,, somehow.

I would swear that originally the drain hole had to be around where that red line is in the photo..

Lol, what the hell am I gunna do about this, pita... I could get inventive if it's and absolute must, I guess

Old 10-04-2021, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,247 Likes on 5,431 Posts

On Coupe bodies, there are drain holes in the corners of the boot gutter (maybe in convertibles too?), which are attached to pipes that run down to the spigots you have found. They clog up and rust, as you have found. If all is intact with that "system" it is best to blow compressed air down the drain holes every so often to keep them clear. On coupes the petrol filler well is also connected to this system to collect and drain any spillage.
In your case, I would get the metal welded up and protected, and either fix the the drainage system or forget about it and close up the drain holes in the boot gutter - which are not doing anything in almost all cases, as you have found out.

The following users liked this post:
ptjs1 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
On Coupe bodies, there are drain holes in the corners of the boot gutter (maybe in convertibles too?), which are attached to pipes that run down to the spigots you have found. They clog up and rust, as you have found. If all is intact with that "system" it is best to blow compressed air down the drain holes every so often to keep them clear. On coupes the petrol filler well is also connected to this system to collect and drain any spillage.
In your case, I would get the metal welded up and protected, and either fix the the drainage system or forget about it and close up the drain holes in the boot gutter - which are not doing anything in almost all cases, as you have found out.
Good morning, Greg... So this is on the LH side. No fueling stuff on this side. Any idea what the other end of that hose might have gone to?

Think I need to be worried that wherever the other end of that hose went to will continue (I guess it has been for a long time) just dripping or pouring into some unknown location in the car? Maybe I just need to try to estimate based on the length of the hose where the other end went!?!?!

It's a bad job, but for now no welding. There is a fairly good product, it's a fiberglass filler with fiber hairs in the mud. Stuffed some brass mesh down in there to give a little shape, gooped it up, sanded and will put some coats of paint and rubberized undercoating in the area. For now. I know a real job with real steelz are in my future. This and other cars. It just goes in and on. That's kinda why I like it, lol

Old 10-04-2021, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,247 Likes on 5,431 Posts

JJJ
There is a drain hole or even two at each of the boot gutter forward corners, on the coupes at least. These drain holes in the boot gutter have spigots under them, and there will be, or at least was, a hose connecting these to the bottom drain you found rusted up. I tried to explain that the LHS corner drain tubes also incorporate the filler cavity drain on the coupes.
Some pics to help attached

LHS drain tubes from gutter and filler cavity, going down to lower rear wing cavity spigot

Close up of RHS drain spigot from boot gutter

RHS boot gutter drain spigot highlighted

Last edited by Greg in France; 10-04-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

On the fuel cap side I have a pipe from below the filler cap all the way down to the drain hole and exiting the car. This removes any water that collects in the fuel filler area. On the other side it is a drain from the aerial I believe. I would re instate both if I were you.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by brinny
On the fuel cap side I have a pipe from below the filler cap all the way down to the drain hole and exiting the car. This removes any water that collects in the fuel filler area. On the other side it is a drain from the aerial I believe. I would re instate both if I were you.
Thanks Brinny, Greg...

The antenna!!! Makes sense. Going to have to have a look see...but NOT during me holiday...

I'm thinking (and should have a long time ago) that its time to gut the trunk... I have what the topic here is involving,,, and other things to do back there. A gas smell I would like to get rid of and a gas while driving smell I might be able to do something about as well. Sheesh!!!