XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 XJS Convertible alarm instillation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default 1990 XJS Convertible Alarm Instillation Options

Hello all. I see that there are a lot of posts about trouble with car alarms in the XJS... I disabled and removed my alarm system (the ECUs I guess you would call them) leaving the wiring in place. Seemed like a huge mess. Plus,,, no fob and hard to find on line. If one can be had,,, $$$$

Everything I was able to find of the ECU alarm controls (and there may be more) were behind the driver's seat,,, under the shelf of the cabinet,,, on the left hand side. I needed to take that leather cover off, the one that covers the hydraulic for the top and the quarter window motor, to get to it, unplug it and remove the plugs to the ECUs... After that, no more signed of alarm in the car.

I aquiered the car with one working door lock. Key doesn't work in the other,,, which I may be able to sort out once I really get in the door cavity and start messing with the lock. And, the solenoids work, but in a messy and uncoordinated way. But, they move around.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck installing a aftermarket alarm, did ya use the old wires or go from scratch, is there a brand or model that is best-est ??? - and those kinds of questions. Anything you'd like to offer I would love to hear.

Really, all I want is to be able to unlock and lock the doors. The trunk would be an added bonus, chirp with lights flash,,, heaven. I'm a simple guy. Don't care so much about immobilizers (at this point) motion, glass and all the extras. Just a fob where locks can be unlocked and a signal to let me know about armed disarm mode.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-30-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Is an aftermarket alarm just too scary for anyone to touch,,, comment on? Thought I would give this a quick bump

Old 09-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts

Hi Jay

I removed my uber expensive Ł500 Car Alarm/Immobilizer that came with the Car, it was an absolute Nightmare, that kept running the Battery Down and sometimes refused to unemobilize (is that a word?) the Car when leaving a Filling Station

IMO well worth sacrificing the Central Locking for and glad to see it gone

Old 09-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Jay

I removed my uber expensive Ł500 Car Alarm/Immobilizer that came with the Car, it was an absolute Nightmare, that kept running the Battery Down and sometimes refused to unemobilize (is that a word?) the Car when leaving a Filling Station

IMO well worth sacrificing the Central Locking for and glad to see it gone
Hmm. That's not super encouraging... I appreciate your reply,,, of course I do.

Really, all I need is a way to push the little button and lock and unlock the doors. I would like to tie that into the light system and the chirpy alert to indicate the alarm "condition"... I don't think I would be looking for an immobilizer,,, or anything much more...

Also, I was wondering if folks had used the factory wiring powered by an aftermarket device,,, and how well or dicey a situation that created. I'll look at my wiring diagrams and if I can figure out what's what to the lighting and lock controls (and such) I start to figure my comfort level.

Based on the response,,, looks like I will have to strike out and find one that makes most sense.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

This is what I'm looking at. The schematic (which has been an amaaaaazing resource for me) doesn't even mention the alarm system... Nor does the index...

Don't see how that's possible. The alarm (it seemed) was Incorporated in to multiple systems...

Old 09-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Still no takers here, huh?

Old 09-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

I am not sure what came in your car, but i have never, ever seen a OEM alarm ECU fail. The peripherals May fail, but the ECU itself never fails. I have even had a few members send me their alarm ECU’s in the past so I could test it in my car or program their remotes. And even if the peripherals fail , there is always the option to put the alarm in “valet mode” and it will work solely as keyless entry, never engaging the anti-theft features.

i would not consider an aftermarket unit in my vehicle.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 09-07-2019 at 11:35 AM.