XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 XJS Serious Downpipe/Exhaust Riddle and Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
If the honeycomb is there, pull it out. Leave the other side alone - no need to go looking for trouble!. Two crushable per side, so you only need two.
But won't it matter if my new downpipe has NO honeycomb and the old one on the passenger side does? Will it this difference unbalance (I don't know the right term) the engine run? I hate to say but the bolts and nuts on the passenger side look MUCH easier to get at...

Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
But won't it matter if my new downpipe has NO honeycomb and the old one on the passenger side does? Will it this difference unbalance (I don't know the right term) the engine run? I hate to say but the bolts and nuts on the passenger side look MUCH easier to get at...
It will not matter at all. Do not worry.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
It will not matter at all. Do not worry.
Got ya! Thanks

Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

So... LH downpipe came in and yeeeeehoooo,,, less than 50bucks...

Below (not my car) is basically what I have on the car. The RH upper most CAT is none existent but the second one is. On the right-hand side (pissy leaks) the downpipe is joined with an olive connection,,, clamps on either side of a flared fitting. Then the CAT, then the intermediate pipe, then the resonator and over the axle. On the RH side I want to get ride of everything between the downpipe and resonator... I still need cac1660 - or an equivalent... Can't find ANYTHING for under $220... Making me crazy!

On the LH side from the downpipe (which I thankfully have) to the LH resonator - which is still shine-Y new...

Both sides are solid over the axle rearward...

I'm looking at this photo and it is NOT a straight shot pipe wise between the downpipes to the resonators (AT ALL!) AND,,,, removing the CATs will make it so the $20-25 "intermediate" pipe will not be long enough... Hmm - looks like I have my work cut out for me. Lol,,, I can't bend pipe...!?

Any suggestions about that resonator OTHER than the Jag part like this would be much much much appreciated!

Any solutions folks have come up with making up that distance between the downpipes and the resonators,,,, well I'm all ears.

I'll figure this out.
She's been parked up as, with driving, the exhaust joints seemed to be getting looser and looser, louder and louder (although not too loud at all)...

Anyways, I'm all ears... I hate the idea of paying a shop (but will) simply cuz,,, I don't have the doe right now...

​​​

Last edited by JayJagJay; 10-01-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,185 Likes on 2,101 Posts

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to remove the large muffler just before the rear axle? Personally, I wouldn't, primarily for sound quality - my 6.0 had those removed by the PO and the car sounds awful, I'm going to put them back next year. The restriction caused by them is unnoticable.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to remove the large muffler just before the rear axle? Personally, I wouldn't, primarily for sound quality - my 6.0 had those removed by the PO and the car sounds awful, I'm going to put them back next year. The restriction caused by them is unnoticable.
Sorry... I babble,,, but no, that's not the plan... Resonators stay.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Might be terminology here, resonators are behind the axle, just before the tailpipe and final exit; mufflers are before the axle and are larger. The idea is to keep all 4? (I'd recommend you do)

Old 10-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, all 4...

Hmm. I've "heard" them called all 3 - silencer's, mufflers and resonators... But yes, them big ol things before the axle... Keeping them. I need one (a product that folks have found that works for now) on the RH side... Then, the piping to go from the downpipes to the,,,,, mufflers, silencers, resonators - cac1660. Or maybe WALKER 03972??? Just found this part number... But, this one (if my imagination serves) looks like it would fit the LH side...

Anyways,,,,

Old 10-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

The existing OEM mufflers suffocate the engine, people will say deleting them ruins the exhaust note these are LIES! what you need is an X-pipe or X-pipe 'resonator' in place of those suitcase sized muffler units....unless you are trying to keep the dim unimpressive stock sound, and not aiming for a more raspy growling V12.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
The existing OEM mufflers suffocate the engine, people will say deleting them ruins the exhaust note these are LIES! what you need is an X-pipe or X-pipe 'resonator' in place of those suitcase sized muffler units....unless you are trying to keep the dim unimpressive stock sound, and not aiming for a more raspy growling V12.
Haha - not a fan of stainless luggage, Van...?

Sounds like a healthy debate... One I don't think I am ready for, want to have - or get into... More,,, cost IS an issue...

A loooooong time ago a wise man explained to me to get it running and doing the right thing, OEM,,, then make changes. For now, I am willing to delete the CAT'S and need to... That's about it.

Now, today, I don't know the XJS well enough to know the differences between raspy, stock, unimpressive, growling, smooth, quiet etc vs. an XJS v12 that is just running properly.

I have exhaust leaks involving the mess in connections between the downpipes AND the over axle pipes on both sides. The RH side the resonator, muffler, silencer (?) on the inflow side, is shot... I'll be needing a new one. I need to address this. Need the part...

Both downpipes have an olive connections. I need a new RH middle muffler. OEM or aftermarket... Then, I need to get from the downpipes (considering the difference in distance WITHOUT CATs) to the middle mufflers... That's where I'm at at the moment...

In the land WITHOUT CATs,,, what piping is used to come off of the downpipes and get to the mid mufflers????

Last edited by JayJagJay; 10-02-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
In the land WITHOUT CATs,,, what piping is used to come off of the downpipes and get to the mid mufflers????
It's a longer pipe, CAC1402 and 1403.
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Note that on the OEM systems, these pipes are double walled. It gives some heat insulation to reduce the surface temperature of the pipe.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

It's a longer pipe, CAC1402 and 1403.
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Note that on the OEM systems, these pipes are double walled. It gives some heat insulation to reduce the surface temperature of the pipe.
Thanks Jag!

So I followed that link and many many others. They report that the item is no longer available... Then I found these beautiful tubes on eBay... $$$$275 USD plus shipping. Someday maybe, but today I cannot afford it. Just my reality.

I know that folks have said just bring her to a local shop. Here is my thinking. Still, and MOST OF THIS is about the wallet... But it's more than that.... FIRST I would like to do the work myself (as much as possible) if the bits and pieces I need can be gotten together. But,,, if that is not completely possible I want to at least be the one to:

-Install the new LH down pipe....
-Install the new RH resonator...
-Check (against advise) the condition of the RH CAT-less downpipe for webbing and collapsed webbing in the pipe by removing it. Knock out webbing if found.
-Remove the old intermediate pipes - and CATs.

My dilemma (in planning) is in the intermediate pipes/tubes...

If I take the whole damn thing apart and CANNOT get the Intermediates in place, I will have to run a SUPER LOUD v12 to a muffler shop, lol... Have my neighbors ducking for cover - haha...

What is the angle of that initial KICK in the intermediate to have it line UP with the downpipes (see eBay link)? The $60,000 dollar question... What product so I need to fill the gap. I don't know the angle. That's really the only thing. I can easily get stainless pipe, 20 feet, for $30 or $40 bucks! Or less.

What do I need to do, know, understand to get straight (nearly straight) pipes to attach to the downpipes,,, and run back to the mid mufflers?

Guy from WELSH is offering me a OEM RH mid muffler for 155 plus 12shipping. I can swing that, I guess

Proud owner of a LH downpipe and crush rings... Need the bung for the 02 sensor. Oh,,, and a fairly rare boot lock actuator (via Paul's Jag), 20 undistorted xjs and xk8 lug nuts, rear trans axle bolts for the Porsche 928 (rebuilding the rear RH suspension) and an antique public bathroom towel bar that I came across... Q: am I losing my mind, lol???

Old 10-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Old 10-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

I got!!! Thanks to you (I'm pretty sure it was you who sent the info) linking me up... I "won" it, eBay auction, for $15!!!! Just needed the one. The RH side I have on the car is a no CAT downpipe...

Hmm... I'm still on the hunt for the longer no CAT intermediate pipes (any leads?) with the slight angled kick at and off of the olive downpipe connection point and, am saving my pennies for the RH preaxle muffler. There is a guy in the UK that has the muffler (OEM Jag) for $90 but he says he can't find a shipper for under $100??? I'll get it. Anyways. I am stoked! Can't wait to get it done...

Still wondering if there is CATcombs in the RH side downpipe. I know you guys say if it ain't broke leave it be,,, but if it does have the comb in the downpipe,,, I would like to break it out.

Thank you MUCH for thinking of me!

The silver thing, lol

Old 10-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Got my copper nutts and studs today for the downpipes. Both sides. I've done nothing to commit to taking off the RH passenger side downpipe. It's not a must. But I do have the copper bolts, new manifold studs and aluminum crush gaskets (both sides) just in case....

What I would really like to see is if the original (the pipe that is currently on the RH side) has the CAT style honeycomb at the entrance to the downpipe from the manifold,,, and what it's condition is.

If the LH driverside downpipe is any indication,,, maybe the RH Passenger side copper bolts and shafts will be as easy to remove as the Left... If not I'll make the sign of the cross, back away and leave things be.

Besides NOT rusting,,, what are other reasons for copper nutts???

Still saving pennies for the RH mid muffler. Soon!

Old 10-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Usually the nuts on the down pipe of earlier Jaguars ( the XK engine) was brass because brass's rate of thermal expansion is twice that of steel.Thus as the exhaust gets hot, the nut tightens it's grip on the stud and doesn't back off under heat or vibration.

The V12 uses steel locking nuts and those can rust to the stud. I've broken a few studs trying to get them off. Basically the only fool proof way to remove them without breaking the stud is to heat the nuts cherry red with a torch and then use impact.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

I've broken a few studs trying to get them off. Basically the only fool proof way to remove them without breaking the stud is to heat the nuts cherry red with a torch and then use impact.
I was pleased to find that the v12 I have came with extra long (with a nice long hex face) copper/brass nutts. Honestly I don't know what's spinning, the nutt or the bolt into the manifold, but they are spinning, approaching from standing outside at engine bay, effortlessly... I like the copper/brass but beyond rust, was wondering what it's all about. Thank you for that rate of expansion explanation! Understandable

Can't wait to have SOME local shop create a set of intermediates from the down pipe to the mid mufflers. Wanna hear it, and not hear it, IYKWIM...?

Old 10-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

My car is short four cylinders from 12, but two up from a 6!! Nice sounds...

Two down pipes, via Sun Coast of Punta Gorda, FLa. Nicely done and reasonable as to $'s !!!

Rear. Two small glass packs, via the PO. These are the resonators.. Stock Jaguar mufflers just in front of the IRS..

Local muffler shop did the interim. Two cats just aft of the transmission. Avoid extra heat for the transmsiion. Tehn an "H" pipe to connect the twin pipes before the mufflers.

Flanged, so as to make the unit removable with hand tools...

Very nice sound. Not raucous, but a motor boat type purr.. A definite V8 sound...

Just right...

Carl

Old 10-31-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Good Morning...

This is a dumb one,,, but one I can't figure out.

What is the proper exhaust flange to meet the down pipe flange that come built on the downpipe. It's triangular...

Everything I find says "this does not fit your vehicle". I have set it up with my local exhaust guy to build the intermediate pipes I'll need, but he says he NEEDS me to bring the correct flange...

I found this - Walker 31900 Exhaust Flange
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015KUCRU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_pqTUDbGJ2G3EF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015KUCRU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_pqTUDbGJ2G3EF

Last edited by JayJagJay; 10-31-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

JJJ
Just check it has the same ID as the flange it is connecting to.

Quick Reply: 1990 XJS Serious Downpipe/Exhaust Riddle and Dilemma