XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 XJS Serious Downpipe/Exhaust Riddle and Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Good Morning folks

The car is finally at the muffler shop. Damn downpipes took 2 1/2 months to make it to my door. Interparcel economy shipping,,, OMG

The muffler guy is placing bungs on the downpipes. I'm hoping I purchased the correct sensors (whole other question). When I get the car back a little later this afternoon I want to wire the sensors. 3 wires each...

QUESTION.... Looking at the sensors and whats left of the wire on the OE plug end (I cut and held on to the wires and plugs off the old sensors) it seems that there are only two wire colors. The NEW sensor has one dark blue wire,,,, and two black wires. One single wire powers the heater element (the dark blue?) I'm presuming??? What do I need to be thinking about/understanding when rewiring the two black wires? They are the same color! Does the ordering of the 2 wires of the same color matter when I hook everything back up?

A bit worried here. Here's the 02 sensor.
​​​​​​
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132578305233

Old 02-10-2020, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Oh shoot!

Wish it was me under there! Kinda, lol

Old 02-11-2020, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Default Problems Problems Problems?

Problems, lol

So the guys got the car done pretty quickly. Dispite the rain I was able to wire up the O2 sensors... An average reading of about .49 volts on one .45 on the other, with DMM. 12+V to one of the heater wires. Got in to take her for a drive.

Regular roads in town everything seemed fine. Took her on the freeway and that's when I started noticing she was really seeming to struggle. Seemed to be fighting herself with a lot of rumbling and a real change in power. Not the car I had driven (leaky exhausts and all) before the exhaust work. I got back home, sitting out front in an idling v12 for some time, thinking and remembered that the exhaust guys had done an "interesting" amount of pipe stretching at both connections, at the downpipes and the 2 OEM middle mufflers, going back...

Is this problem to do with restricted exhaust? Diameter wise, without a measurement, I believe the intermediate pipes to be much smaller. Why didn't I say anything to them!? I am pissed. The only changes are the O2 sensors and the intermediate pipes. Am very disappointed ☹️😞

Yes, I need to tuck that brake line,,, but clearly from the downpipe the diameter is significantly smaller... Looking at it, I don't know why they did "it" this way here... I know it's going to be fight going back to them.

I replaced a windshield in the Porsche over the weekend ending up with a significant dent in the hood. Fighting them now tooooo,,, is in my future. I don't like bringing my machines to people. Customer service in the U.S. has gone down the tubes (no pun intended)...

Where is the olive I supplied them?

Old 02-11-2020, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay

Is this problem to do with restricted exhaust? Diameter wise, without a measurement, I believe the intermediate pipes to be much smaller. Why didn't I say anything to them!? I am pissed. The only changes are the O2 sensors and the intermediate pipes. Am very disappointed ☹️😞

Yes, I need to tuck that brake line,,, but clearly from the downpipe the diameter is significantly smaller... Looking at it, I don't know why they did "it" this way here... I know it's going to be fight going back to them.
The smaller pipe diameter wouldn't cause what you are describing.

A clogged muffler might. Sometimes mufflers fall apart internally.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Problems, lol

So the guys got the car done pretty quickly. Dispite the rain I was able to wire up the O2 sensors... An average reading of about .49 volts on one .45 on the other, with DMM. 12+V to one of the heater wires. Got in to take her for a drive.

Just to clarify, how did you resolve your wiring question from yesterday?

In the case of the sensor you described I would assume the blue wire is the signal wire. The two black wires are for the heater and, as far as I recall, are not polarity sensitive.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-11-2020, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug

Cheers
DD
Hmm. The rear most are the ones that I've had all along... They seemed fine prior to the exhaust work and she was running "normally" and in hand - the feel of them... The RH middle muffler is SS new from Welsh... The LH middle is the old, SS jaguar brand, like the RH... The LH, although painted black (for esthetics I'd guess) didn't rattle or sound as thought there was stuff flopping around inside...

​​​​​I hope this isn't going to turn into a $$$$$ can O worms.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Just to clarify, how did you resolve your wiring question from yesterday?

In the case of the sensor you described I would assume the blue wire is the signal wire. The two black wires are for the heater and, as far as I recall, are not polarity sensitive.

Cheers
DD
Yes that. The blue I wired and crimped as signal. The black, POS and NEG... I thought I noticed a positive change in idle BUT it was pouring rain and hearing subtle notes wasn't easy. Seemed and felt correct.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers
DD
Could problems with O2 sensors cause this problem? I connected them with car running and already at temperature... I don't know why I did that, thinking on it.

This really sucks... I'm not sure what to do next...

I haven't measure and will,,, but it looks like 1 1/2 inch pipe in the intermediate section... Would that be a near 1/2 drop in diameter from the 1-7/8ths of the downpipe, on both sides?

Last edited by JayJagJay; 02-11-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Thinking and thinking, on it...

Hmm. I disconnected the pipe FROM the down pipe to the over axle pipe when I removed it way back when... I must have up ended it... Must have. Is it possible that I shook all of that/the debris in the pipe (old dust, rust, buildup and parts of the old CATS) down the pipe and INTO that old LH side middle muffler? I saw a cutaway of that middle muffler (actually it was a XK8 middle muffler) and it looked like the insides were sectioned into 3 distinct parts/sections, each with gas flow holes, before exhaust gases were released into the over axle. Is it possible that I FILLED that first section up with gunk when I up ended the entire pipe? I don't want to have to buy another $160 muffler...

Maybe if I just disconnected the pipe from the downpipe to the over axle again and shook it out,,, some things might fall out so I AT LEAST might know what's happening in there...? Sorry, texting out loud, lol

Something's GOTTA give here!

Old 02-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Digital Manometer...

There are 4 access points on the tops of the manifolds directly off the engine. Bolt holes for the manifold heat shields, when removed, give a manifold opening and exhaust gas at pressure (loud) with car started. Maybe with a manometer I can get a sense of back pressure there...? Would that work to check for a blockage? Anyways,,,,

Just spoke with Welsh. If need be I can get the second new middle muffler for like $155 + shipping... At the same time,,, maybe I'll do ---- and just have both --- a slick section of pipes on the LH and RH sides that I can install (when I want a different sound) in place of the middle mufflers BETWEEN the intermediate pipes and the over axle pipe...??? That does sound like fun! I have everything bolt on/olives, clamps and gaskets between exhaust sections... Can have the center sections of the exhaust off in 30 min or less...at least some good has come out of all this. Just a bit more to go...

I've got to figure this out.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 02-11-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Default Restriction Solved...

Deep bow and a thank you, Doug!

So I dropped the newly installed LH side exhaust from the downpipe to the overaxle pipe... Not so tough at all. Unclaimed the mid muffler to intermediate pipe pulled them apart. The mid muffler sounded like a big maraca... I tipped it this way,,, shook it... Tipped it that way, shook sommmore... Tipped it again and again and all kinds of goodies fell out. Nothing the size of a golf ball. Rinse and repeat to the point I was looking silly... Buttoned it back up,,, Low and Behold,,,,

Back to "normal" and what a sweet drive I had. Things are getting good...

Thanks to you all!!!

​​​​​​I sprayed around some Electrical parts cleaned on the intake system when I got home... Needing new intake manifold gaskets and the rubber hose (one side so might as well do both) on the balancing pipe... Will it ever end, lol...
​​​

Last edited by JayJagJay; 02-17-2020 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bez74 (02-17-2020)