XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1991 XJS ABS tests

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 06:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1991 XJS ABS tests

I must not be using the right search words…

Can someone please point me to the right link for the Blink Test for my ABS? Not sure what it is, but sounds like it will lead me the right direction.

All I know us I have the TEVES MK III system.

I’m getting warning lights popping up but the brakes seem to be functioning properly…. Where do I start?

Thanks in advance, and I know this has been covered numerous times, but I can’t find the starting point!

Rich

Old 10-18-2022, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,063 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Rich,

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a pdf of the procedure, breakdown of the light codes etc.

Cheers

Paul

Old 10-19-2022, 01:20 PM

Thanks to Paul, I’ve got the procedure!

now…. I’m not getting ANY flashes when I ground the black to the brown w purple wire on the test port.

The symptoms are when applying the brakes, the red brake light comes on, then the yellow ABS light comes on, the red light goes out, then the yellow light goes out.

The brakes seem to operate normally…

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Rich

Old 10-20-2022, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I please need help my 2002 xtype has absolutely no break the pedal goes to the floor

I have a 2002 xtype I took it to the shop an the guy said he changed the pads rotors break line an master cylinder along with the break booster charged me over 2000 an still no breaks he said it has to be the abs but he can’t read the codes I need to know if I just got ripped off ! An can some one point me in the right direction ? My email is mikeyvines150@gmail.com any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Old 10-20-2022, 08:39 PM

Still no blinks on the blink test!?!?!

Further details on my warning lights…

If the brakes are applied slowly, no warning lights appear. Only several (6-7) clicks on/off from a relay? In the glove box area.

If the brakes are applied quickly, you get the sequence of warning lights described above, but only one click on/off from that area.

Any thoughts on where to go without any blinks?

Thanks,
Rich

Old 10-22-2022, 09:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default 91XJS ABS

91 XJS ABS System-

I have a sneaking feeling your car still has the original accumulator ball (black round metal unit at the right rear of the engine compartment). The symptoms you describe are textbook examples of the accumulator going bad, or already bad. The red and yellow lights should never come on while driving and if they do particularly when you press the pedal, that means the accumulator is bad..

I'm surprised no one else on the forum pointed you in this direction. Here is a simple test you can do to confirm it:

1) Get into the car. Do not turn on the key. Make sure the parking brake is not applied.
2) Step on the brake pedal as far as you can and release 20 times
3) Take you foot off the pedal
4) Turn the key to run- do not start the engine
5) You should hear buzzing from the ABS motor in the right rear of the engine compartment. At the same time the yellow ABS light and red ABS light should be on.
6) When the buzzing stops the read and yellow lights should be off.
7) Now firmly press as far as possible and release the brake pedal and count how many presses it takes before the buzzing starts again. If at any time while you are doing this test the yellow and red lights come on, the accumulator is bad. If the buzzing starts after anything less that 4 pedal presses, the accumulator is bad.

Let us know what you find.

Just so you know, the accumulator is a critically important safety component in the brake system. It has to be in top shape or the braking system is unsafe. Any car running around such that the yellow and red lights are coming on when the pedal is pressed should not be driven- it is unsafe. The accumulator stores brake pressure for the ABS aspect of the brakes but also comes into play if the rest of the system (the motor and/or pump) fail. That bit of stored pressure allows you to have brakes in this sort of emergency. And it does happen....

Thanks Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Originally Posted by Richgus
I must not be using the right search words…

Can someone please point me to the right link for the Blink Test for my ABS? Not sure what it is, but sounds like it will lead me the right direction.

All I know us I have the TEVES MK III system.

I’m getting warning lights popping up but the brakes seem to be functioning properly…. Where do I start?

Thanks in advance, and I know this has been covered numerous times, but I can’t find the starting point!

Rich

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-23-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 09:44 PM

Andrew,

Thank you sooo very much for the very detailed testing procedure!! And for the warning on it being unsafe!

I’ll go thru the tests and report back what I find.

Thanks again!

Rich

Old 10-22-2022, 10:06 PM

After doing the 20 pumps and turning on the car, the abs pump only runs for a second or so. The yellow and red brake lights come on. Red light goes out when the pump shuts off. The yellow light goes off a few seconds later.

With the ignition on, every minute or so, the relay under the dash kicks on and the pump runs for a second.

when I press the brake hard and suddenly, the lights come on, relay clicks, pump comes on, pedal fades just a bit and relay kicks off, lights go out, pump turns off

if I slowly press the brake, no warning lights come on, but pump / relay click happens about 6 times until the pedal bottoms out.

I can’t read your post while I’m replying? So I’ll probably add more after I re-read

Thanks, and let me know where I should go next!!

Rich

Old 10-23-2022, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor
Default Next steps

After doing the 20 pumps and turning on the car, the abs pump only runs for a second or so. The yellow and red brake lights come on. Red light goes out when the pump shuts off. The yellow light goes off a few seconds later.

With the ignition on, every minute or so, the relay under the dash kicks on and the pump runs for a second.

when I press the brake hard and suddenly, the lights come on, relay clicks, pump comes on, pedal fades just a bit and relay kicks off, lights go out, pump turns off

if I slowly press the brake, no warning lights come on, but pump / relay click happens about 6 times until the pedal bottoms out.

I can’t read your post while I’m replying? So I’ll probably add more after I re-read

Thanks, and let me know where I should go next!!

Rich
It sounds to me like all you need is a new accumulator. The system seems to be working fine except for the accumulator itself. Note- if your accumulator has a yellow circle with the words "warning" or some such on it, that is likely the original piece, or at best maybe a replacement from long ago. Jaguar has not supplied a unit labeled/painted that way for a very long time.

Can you post a pic of your accumulator?

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 10-23-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:40 AM

Here’s a pic of the accumulator.

This is sounding like good news, I’ll have to start searching for replacement procedure…

I’d read that it’s a fairly common Buick part?

Old 10-23-2022, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor
Default Accumulator

Yup, that is an original unit- from 1991

And yes, GM used this same system on some cars back in the 90's, but the accumulator from GM has been out of production for years now. Any piece you find out there is NOS and as a result, some 20+ years old. They are not usable after that long- the high pressure nitrogen inside has already leaked out. Whatever you do, buy fresh unit, whether you get it from us or another supplier.....

And please please please do not even consider buying a used one- garbage.....

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Here’s a pic of the accumulator.

This is sounding like good news, I’ll have to start searching for replacement procedure…

I’d read that it’s a fairly common Buick part?

Old 05-27-2023, 04:28 AM
Default ref Blink test

Hi guys Re my problem of ABS light on on my 1989 3.6 XJS - I have copies of the pages 70-13 to 70-23 of the manual describing the "blink test" However I cant locate the "3-way econoseal diagnostic connector" .OR the ABS ECM. it says under the rear wheel arch - WHICH SIDE? Ive found a multi connector with 6 wires on each side but it doesnt seem to be the item Im looking for. HELP Please

Old 05-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Left side- over the left rear wheel....

Over the left rear wheel....

Originally Posted by maccasa
Hi guys Re my problem of ABS light on on my 1989 3.6 XJS - I have copies of the pages 70-13 to 70-23 of the manual describing the "blink test" However I cant locate the "3-way econoseal diagnostic connector" .OR the ABS ECM. it says under the rear wheel arch - WHICH SIDE? Ive found a multi connector with 6 wires on each side but it doesnt seem to be the item Im looking for. HELP Please

maccasa (05-29-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 09:21 AM

Hi Guys, I have successfully carried out the blink test! I get an error code 21 which is "main valve" failure. I assume this is a solenoid valve? Can someone explain what/where the "Main valve" is?

Old 05-31-2023, 09:41 AM

Sorry guys I was being thick. The main valve is the actual Teves unit which sits under the brake fluid reservoir! However I am now wondering how to proceed as this would seem to be electrical, as the brakes now work well. I assume I start with all the plugs into the valve?