XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1991 XJS V12 Engine cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
I don't think there's much I can get rid of in mine. I definitely need aircon, though replacing the A6 with a later Sanden is in the cards, and I am fairly sure I need the air pump stuff to pass emissions testing. I'm not sure how much cleaner a Megasquirt would look, but they're pretty bloody expensive anyway.
I'm keeping the old A6 compressor and keeping everything original, just tidier. No wild vacume hose routing. Just a sensible, logical system, wuth some hoses longer than from the factory but all installed in proper hose clips and along a schemed route.

Heck, I even managed to get the HT leads in a tidy and presentable manner...

@OB

I am hoping next spring/summer. Hope fully I can pass my body on toba workshop to weld over Xmas so the engine bay is ready to be filler with love and joy again

Bit knowing my luck, it won't because my XJ8 will be wanting attention YET AGAIN. Darn POS! I should have stayed with 1 Jag and 1 Volvo... Can't beat a Volvo for reliability!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:36 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts

brighten things up make it stand out and show it off
pic from jag lovers

Attached Thumbnails 1991 XJS V12 Engine cover-100_2247.jpg  

Last edited by rgp; 11-29-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 386 Posts
Old 11-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Engine covers? To hide what? A "cleaner look" ? Like the side of a refrigerator ? But, I support "to each his/her own".

1. When I built my "Rod of the forties" project, I deleted the hood sides. Common practice in that era. The flat head Ford V8 was well dressed with finned alloy heads, dual carbs and headers. Chromed water pumps and shiny heads to radiator pipes. Not to b hidden !!!

2. A few months ago, I chased an intermittent ignition issue in my daughter's Passat V6 wagon. A complex "engine cover" had to be removed. Why??? A very nice little Dual OH Camed V6. Plugs in wells ala MOPAR Hemi engines. I put the covers in the hatch. After, I swapped in a coil pack, new HT leads and basic spark plugs, it ran sweet. Daughter swapped it in for a Nissan ???

Carl

Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,800 Likes on 2,631 Posts

Hi Someday

Wowser! Really nice work!

The ideal Engine Covers for Halloween!

Although myself I love the look of the Organized Chaos underneath the Bonnet, where every thing's easy to get at just in case you have a Fire.

As when you lift the Bonnet up it just blows peoples minds, wondering how on Earth you manage to work on an Engine like that.

Some Day, Some Day (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

This: https://jalopnik.com/5439414/engine-...he-devils-work

Wow. This is what's under a Lexus hood:
Btw., there are a few reasons wjy cars have engine covers today... A few seem weird but others make sense... The main reason: to make it look pretty. Others are:

- keep owners fingers out of the engine bay
- easier to hide a messy setup
- quietens the engine a good bit
- fills the engine bay up (example Ford 1.0l fits on a piece of A4 paper - even a Fiesta engine bay looks empty with it!)
- people can wash the engine better (people now want to detail their engines...)

Modern super sports cars have engines you can NOT access. You can't ecen open the compartment without the correct tools. Like the newest McLaren or BMW i8. The future will see it getting worse. Meaning more and more cars with either hardly accessable or absolutely unaccessable engine bays. The time of beautiful engines, like the Alfa Busso V6, the Saab B234, the Volvo Whiteblock, etc. is ending very quickly. And the engine bays are looking less and less like an engine bay.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Yeah, I've heard about the inaccessible engines on some ultra-high-end sports cars. That would **** me off. I do wonder how much noise insulation a sheet of plastic offers. But you're wrong about people being able to wash and detail their engines now--they can only wash and detail the plastic cover....

orangeblossom (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've heard about the inaccessible engines on some ultra-high-end sports cars. That would **** me off. I do wonder how much noise insulation a sheet of plastic offers. But you're wrong about people being able to wash and detail their engines now--they can only wash and detail the plastic cover....
Most owners claim their plastic cover to be their engine, so it ain't wrong mate Haha

If I look around my neighbourhood, we have a few posh cars here. Couple of Porsches, Range Rovers, ... But nobody has such a beautiful future classic than I do. A bloke around the corner has a C140 Benz. As a V12. So he basically has the only competitor to my car. And that thing has an engine cover or better: you don't see the engine because it is covered too much. No wonder as the Benz V12 is fugly!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

I have to say, even not being in a situation do attempt much wrenching myself, I do like just admiring that huge engine, spotting new parts I never noticed, finding out where various tubes and wires go.
It's like Zen meditation, only not a blank wall that I'm staring at. But the depth and profundity is just as great....

The following 2 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
orangeblossom (12-01-2017), warrjon (12-01-2017)