XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1994 XJS steering shaft diameter

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 09:09 PM
Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 1994 XJS steering shaft diameter

my 1994 steering wheel has a large splined hole with a smaller splined removable insert that fits the steering column. was this typical for model from 91-95?

Old 12-12-2020, 04:54 PM
Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

There are two different wheel splines that Jaguar used around that time.
Mine had an aftermarket wheel when I got it, with a spline adapter.
Eventually I found the proper wheel which I installed without the adapter.
I think the XJ6 came with the larger spline, even though the wheels appear identical.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,041 Posts

fishbait1,

I believe that Jaguar introduced the splined adapter when they introduced airbag wheels. The steering columns on all airbag cars (XJS, XJ40) all have the same splined top with differing adapters to mate to the wheel. The adapters have an external spline count of 76 on North American cars and 86 on UK cars, including Celebrations. And the lower stud on the airbag is in a fractionally different position on NA cars. The number of splines is stamped on the inner face of the steering wheel, visible when the airbag is removed.

The only reason that I can think of, is that the North American authorities were so paranoid about safety that they wanted a 2-prong approach to try and stop anyone stateside swapping their wheel and airbag for a UK non-airbag wheel in 1991. And so even when when Jaguar introduced airbags in the UK a few years later, they had a different standard for wheel adapters and airbag fitments.

As an aside, if you (or anyone else) want to fit a UK wheel and need an 86-spline adapter, I'll swap one for a US 76-spline adapter as I've got a US wheel and aibag that I want to fit to my car..

Cheers

Paul

Old 12-12-2020, 06:29 PM
Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
fishbait1,

I believe that Jaguar introduced the splined adapter when they introduced airbag wheels. The steering columns on all airbag cars (XJS, XJ40) all have the same splined top with differing adapters to mate to the wheel. The adapters have an external spline count of 76 on North American cars and 86 on UK cars, including Celebrations. And the lower stud on the airbag is in a fractionally different position on NA cars. The number of splines is stamped on the inner face of the steering wheel, visible when the airbag is removed.

The only reason that I can think of, is that the North American authorities were so paranoid about safety that they wanted a 2-prong approach to try and stop anyone stateside swapping their wheel and airbag for a UK non-airbag wheel in 1991. And so even when when Jaguar introduced airbags in the UK a few years later, they had a different standard for wheel adapters and airbag fitments.

As an aside, if you (or anyone else) want to fit a UK wheel and need an 86-spline adapter, I'll swap one for a US 76-spline adapter as I've got a US wheel and aibag that I want to fit to my car..

Cheers

Paul
thanks for that information. that explains the 76 on the inside of the wheel.