XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1994 XJS V12 convertible 44k ODO

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 06:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1994 XJS V12 convertible 44k ODO

Greetings everyone. I just introduced myself and I am hoping to purchase a 1994 XJS V12 conv. with 44k ODO, 2 owners. Any advice you have for me, what questions should I be asking etc. I am hoping that my husband and I will be able to do some routine maintenance work ourselves. Actually, mostly him and I hand him the wrench when he needs it, crack funny jokes and make him endless cups of tea.

Looking forward to getting to know you and fellow enthusiasts. I am excited to join the XJS crowd.

The following 3 users liked this post by BritishJagLass:
Greg in France (06-05-2021), Mkii250 (06-07-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 10:20 PM
Received 10,478 Likes on 6,919 Posts

I have a few "stickies" at the top of this section that would be good reading, albeit the earlier version of the XJS, but its all the same as far as age goes, and ODO means very little at the end.

Tea might not cut it, beer is the usual fluid, and many, many "words" that some might not like.

JUST KIDDING.

Sense of humour, #1 for V12 ownership.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (06-05-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I have a 94 v12 vert that I acquired in fall of 2019. Suggest you change all the hoses and fluids. When I got mine I had a reputable repair shop go over the car performing a 60k mile service. That is very through and will probably catch any issues you might have. Remember this car is 27 years old and probably hasn't been used very much. Good luck and you will enjoy cruising on highways in your 12 cyl. XJS

Old 06-05-2021, 03:41 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I have a few "stickies" at the top of this section that would be good reading, albeit the earlier version of the XJS, but its all the same as far as age goes, and ODO means very little at the end.

Tea might not cut it, beer is the usual fluid, and many, many "words" that some might not like.

JUST KIDDING.

Sense of humour, #1 for V12 ownership.
I was hoping that low ODO would be a good sign.

Old 06-05-2021, 03:45 AM

Thanks. Great advice. I will do. I need to find a reputable repair shop near me. Any suggestions of places in the Midwest area?

Old 06-05-2021, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by BritishJagLass
Without starting an endless thread on the subject.

I always work on 10K kms per year as an AVERAGE. A well maintained, and used car, is always better than a Garage Queen (as we call them.) in MY opinion.

I never obsess with ODO, as long its in that rough range. Paint, trim, etc etc are more important to ME.
Our 1976 XJ12 is now topping 654000kms, and still thunders down the highway.
The '85 XJS, the subject of many of those stickies, took us twice around the coast road of OZ, and that was 25000kms each time, NEVER missed a beat.

OK, OZ is different, we often travel 300kms for lunch, then 300kms to get home, the V12 LOVES that.

BUT

Nothing wrong with a low ODO, as long as service items have been maintained using the "time" section of the service paragraph in all the schedules.

Example:
Wife's 2002 S Type 3ltr, hardly used since her stroke in 2019, but it still gets an oil change every 6 months, etc etc, just as it would if it was the daily driver. Its covered 2600kms since Jan 2019.

That LATE 6ltr V12 is TOUGH, and would love a cross country run.

If it were mine, I would change EVERY fluid, then YOU know ground zero.
Inspect ALL the rubber suspension bushes, and there are MANY, as age will show issues I am sure.
Cooling system hoses, MANY again, dont look, just replace them ALL.
Same goes for the drive belts.
Brake hoses, front and rear, dont look, renew, they are way past use by date.

I am NOT, repeat NOT, trying to scare you, heaven forbid, but if I dont tell it as I have experienced, that is just Un-Australian. You will LOVE that car, FACT, but that "catch up" work is SOOOOO important, then it is more reliable than any other car on the road, well mine all are.

I wont get into service people, dont know any up there, but I have never allowed anyone to touch any of my Jags since 1968. If I cannot fix it, its not broken. I accept peoples limitations, but dont be scared of the V12, it is so simple, just many things will need attention, and there are pages and pages of reading on these Forums for what to do, and how to do it.

OOPS, got carried away, SORRY, I am too passionate at times, COFFEE time.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-05-2021 at 05:44 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Doug (06-05-2021), Greg in France (06-05-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021), ralphwg (06-06-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Would seem to make sense but, because these cars baffled so many people - mechanics and DIYs alike - low milage can kinda be a warning indicating the *possibility* that so many "difficult" to diagnose and expensive to repair problems developed (thanks to gouging mechanics/shops) that a mountain of issues accumulated until the car was parked and gave up on. It's so sad. I'm sure that was the story with my car... Many of these issues are unique (so to speak) with the XJS while at the same time regular maintenance - hard to explain.

I'm not saying that that is the case here AND, and importantly, unless it's just a massive issue - there is nothing that can't be worked thru - especially if y'all are willing to get in there and do it.

There are a good list of friends here that are GREAT demystify-ers of these amazing cars... To put it mildly.

Me.... I'm getting very very close to getting my partner out there with me, getting into it.... She's so smart with such an intolorance for "almost good enough" - former machinist from Detroit no less - I'll (happily) be the one making the tea in no time... That's the plan anyways...

Y'all should do this!

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
Grant Francis (06-05-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Greetings everyone. I just introduced myself and I am hoping to purchase a 1994 XJS V12 conv. with 44k ODO, 2 owners. Any advice you have for me, what questions should I be asking etc.
Ask about servicing and repair history and/or ask to look at the invoices. The more, the better. There's more to taking care of an XJS than just changing the oil and waxing the paint. Sometimes these cars don't get the care they really deserve. A really dedicated and enthusiastic owner will be anxious to show you the records.

Lack of service history doesn't necessarily disqualify the car. It just means you'll have more catching-up to do if you become the new owner.

A fully operational climate control system is a real plus. Repairs here can get complicated and expensive.

Properly serviced Marelli Ignition is another plus. If any doubt as to condition this should be at the top of your 'to do" list if you get the car. This is very important. Neglect here can actually invite an engine fire.

Right behind Marelli Ignition is the cooling system. It must be one hundred percent. Ninety five percent doesn't cut it on a V12 Jag. Be prepared to spend some money here....very possibly including a new radiator....unless records prove you don't have to.

After more coffee I might come back with more.

I am hoping that my husband and I will be able to do some routine maintenance work ourselves. Actually, mostly him and I hand him the wrench when he needs it, crack funny jokes and make him endless cups of tea.

Looking forward to getting to know you and fellow enthusiasts. I am excited to join the XJS crowd.
Great cars, great people.

There's a learning curve with these old Jags but They're worth the effort. And, as special cars go, the internet support is among the best you'll find.

Cheers
DD

The following 4 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (06-05-2021), Greg in France (06-05-2021), JayJagJay (06-05-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Great cars, great people. And, as special cars go, the internet support is among the best you'll find.
Cheers
DD
Ain't that the truth... This, by FAR, is the most enjoyable forum I belong to - by a stretch! Jus say'n...

The following 6 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
Doug (06-05-2021), Grant Francis (06-05-2021), Greg in France (06-05-2021), Mac Allan (06-09-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021), ralphwg (06-06-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I don't have a v12, I have the 6 cylinder version, which is much easier to work on.

That being said, I have enjoyed this forum for over 10 years, reading through more v12 posts than I have any need for. If the car runs today, and it can be driven without any issue, especially overheating, then you're starting out perfectly fine. You don't want to purchase a car of this age with any, ran when parked notices on it. Or, engine runs a bit hot, but its an easy coolant flush away from being normal.

Once you have that, you (and/or your husband) should go into this knowing that if you're not willing to spend a ton of time on this car (where even a simple spark plug change will take hours), paying someone to do it for you will be very expensive. The parts for this car are cheap, the labor to get to them is exhaustive. I don't have a garage, and I use my Jaguar XJS as a daily driver, all year round, so I cannot spend the time required to keep up a v12, not outside. If I had a garage, I would have bought one a long time ago, knowing people here have seen it, and fixed it all.

Assuming you are up to the task, then you'll find a ton of information on these forums, and plenty of people willing to help you fix your problems along the way. Replace all fluids, all hoses, research the distributor, and how critical (and simple) the maintenance of that is, and hatch a plan to replace all of the rubber suspension parts on this car, as they are old. Along the way, things will fail, and you'll address those too, but the immediate goal is to replace fluids and hoses, and the long term plan should be replacing the suspension rubber.

The following 3 users liked this post by Vee:
Grant Francis (06-05-2021), Greg in France (06-05-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Welcome and the car you contemplate sounds terrific. In my opinion, with any classic Jaguar, there is no manure like the farmer's footsteps; by which I mean it is by far the best idea to do it all yourselves. As long as you have some covered space, everything is doable, and believe me, if the guys on here cannot diagnose the problem, and help you fix it, nobody can. At garage rates you will soon find these cars are not sustainable; whereas doing it all yourselves will give you tremendous sense of achievement, and an inuitive understanding of your car that will mean you can use it reliably for as long as you want, not to mention leave an heirloom to your family or best friend.
An XJS V12 going properly, well looked after, is still one of the greatest Grand Touring cars anyone has ever traveled in.
If you do not yet have tools, I will gladly suggest a starter kit!

The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Doug (06-05-2021), Grant Francis (06-06-2021), Mac Allan (06-09-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Oh no.... I am beginning to get a bit of cold feet with the V12. Maybe I am biting off more than we can chew. I am now second guessing myself and leaning more towards the 94-96 4L6i engines instead. Would this be a better route to go for our first XJS? I want a daily driver - I don't do too many miles. A couple miles per day at most. Would love to do longer weekend drives. We currently don't have a garage but a very, very long driveway. We are hoping to have a garage in the not too distant future. My husband is a car nut and would like many, many toys. He can do a few routine maintenance jobs himself and he has a reliable mechanic for his Porsche. But he wants to get more involved in tinkering with cars. The XJS would be for me - I am a little obsessed with it. So that's the dilemma. Whether to get a 94-95 XJS V12 vert or a 94-96 XJS i6 vert. Thanks for any guidance in this matter.

Last edited by BritishJagLass; 06-05-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:51 AM

Oh no.... I am beginning to get a bit of cold feet with the V12. Maybe I am biting off more than we can chew. I am now second guessing myself and leaning more towards the 94-96 4L6i engines instead. Would this be a better route to go for our first XJS? I want a daily driver - I don't do too many miles. A couple miles per day at most. Would love to do longer weekend drives. We currently don't have a garage but a very, very long driveway. We are hoping to have a garage in the not too distant future. My husband is a car nut and would like many, many toys. He can do a few routine maintenance jobs himself and he has a reliable mechanic for his Porsche. But he wants to get more involved in tinkering with cars. The XJS would be for me - I am a little obsessed with it. So that's the dilemma. Whether to get a 94-95 XJS V12 vert or a 94-96 XJS i6 vert. Thanks for any guidance in this matter.
I hear what you are saying, and reading between the lines.

6 or 12, the suspension, cooling system, brakes, etc etc will al be in the same need.

BUT

You may find that the V12 has been better looked after than the 6, as Graham mentioned in his New Members Reply.

Like you, I wanted an XJS V12, and this was before Computers/Forums etc etc. Found my '85, "rose coloured glasses" firmly in place. Got it home, worked out how to open the bonnet, OH DEAR, what have I done. 2 days later, 2nd look, OOPS.
Anyway, it was simpler to work on and work through then the older 6cyl Series cars we had had for years, and that is NO lie.

When I had finished MY catch Up, the car was so reliable, as I said earlier, and we go another, then 2 more, all V12.
The 1976 XJ12, the wife turned up in it one day, coz her beloved 300D Benz died, so just walked away from it, and saw this one, thats what she told me, and who is brave enough to question their wife, really.

My long time suggestion:

Go and drive them BOTH, and I do mean a good 1 hour or more drive. The RIGHT car will "talk" to you, and thats all there is.

I have NO experience with the 6cyl XJS, as there would be 7 at most, in the whole country, and none anywhere near me that I know of.
I have had that 6cyl engine/trans combination in the 2 X300 Sedans I had, one was the 3.2ltr, the other the Supercharged Rocket, and they were BULLET PROOF, AFTER the catch up was done.

The following 4 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Doug (06-06-2021), Greg in France (06-06-2021), orangeblossom (06-06-2021), ptjs1 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

Oh no.... I am beginning to get a bit of cold feet with the V12. Maybe I am biting off more than we can chew. I am now second guessing myself and leaning more towards the 94-96 4L6i engines instead. Would this be a better route to go for our first XJS? I want a daily driver - I don't do too many miles. A couple miles per day at most. Would love to do longer weekend drives.
Whichever you end up buying it'll need some exercise once in awhile. Just FYI, these old Jags don't need to be (and shouldn't be) driven as though they were made out of glass. They're rugged as hell. Don't be reluctant to give 'er the boot!

One advantage of the later V12 (as you are considering) is it's a real powerhouse, over 300 horsepower. If power is important to you the V12 may get the nod. That said, the 6 cylinder cars have plenty of power for most people; I never hear complaints.

We currently don't have a garage but a very, very long driveway. We are hoping to have a garage in the not too distant future. My husband is a car nut and would like many, many toys. He can do a few routine maintenance jobs himself and he has a reliable mechanic for his Porsche. But he wants to get more involved in tinkering with cars. The XJS would be for me - I am a little obsessed with it. So that's the dilemma. Whether to get a 94-95 XJS V12 vert or a 94-96 XJS i6 vert. Thanks for any guidance in this matter.
What are you most comfortable with? In the end that's what really counts. Most people seem more comfortable with the 6 cylinder. And an XJS is a great car with either engine.

Ease-of-repair is what tilts most people towards the 6-cylinder. Fair enough; I get that. But, having been elbow deep, I can say that the V12 isn't all that hard to work on if you have the right mind set. Methodical, patient...that sort of thing. You gotta enjoy the work. Repairs can't be rushed. The car will fight back.

IMO the V12 is worth the effort. More challenging at times but more rewarding, too. But, that's me. Not you.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (06-06-2021), orangeblossom (06-06-2021), ptjs1 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

It really depends on how involved you want to be. If you already have a car that requires lots of involvement and don’t necessarily want more of that same level of work, then an AJ16 powered XJS would probably be best. If your husband has the time and desire to dedicate the time and care, you should go for a the V12.

I have a V12 E type in my garage, an AJ16 (Straight 6) XJS and a V6 X type daily driver in my garage. I can assure you I would not want a two V12s . One is enough.

The following 4 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
Grant Francis (06-06-2021), Greg in France (06-06-2021), orangeblossom (06-06-2021), ptjs1 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 11:55 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

One advantage of the later V12 (as you are considering) is it's a real powerhouse, over 300 horsepower. If power is important to you the V12 may get the nod. That said, the 6 cylinder cars have plenty of power for most people; I never hear complaints.
Power is relative here. The AJ16 will get you from 0-60 in about 8 seconds.

The 6.0 v12 will only do it a second better.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Hi BritishJagLass

Unless you do most of the work yourself these Cars can be expensive, when they go wrong and as has already been said its mostly for labour, so buy it with your head and not your heart and maybe not even the first one you see even though the XJS is so easy to fall in love with that its always hard to walk away

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
Power is relative here. The AJ16 will get you from 0-60 in about 8 seconds.

The 6.0 v12 will only do it a second better.
True enough! But a full 1.0 second difference 0-60 (and 70-80 horsepower) is quite significant from a seat-of-the-pants feeling; it would be unmistakable to the driver.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-06-2021, 08:17 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

True enough! But a full 1.0 second difference 0-60 (and 70-80 horsepower) is quite significant from a seat-of-the-pants feeling; it would be unmistakable to the driver.

Cheers
DD
Hence the need to make sure you test drive both versions….

The following 3 users liked this post by Vee:
Doug (06-06-2021), Grant Francis (06-07-2021), orangeblossom (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Cheers
DD
As does what happens at 80 mph plus, when the V12 just starts to get into its stride, particularly so with the AJ6 stuff!

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (06-07-2021), orangeblossom (06-07-2021)

Quick Reply: 1994 XJS V12 convertible 44k ODO