XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1995 xjs 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 xjs 3.2

My 1995 xjs 3.2 jag is cutting out 10 minutes after driving I have sacked a mechanic who has been guessing what is wrong with my car. A new water pump , fuel relay, belt , thermometer apparently has been fitted and still the same issue,I am awaiting a new exhaust system and fan relay to be delivered but I am sure this is not going to solve my problem can anyone help iam a bit sketchy with what work has suppose to be done on my car as the mechanic has been dishonest.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

the Jaguar XJS has at no point in time been outfitted with a 3.2l engine.
an engine cutting off is entirely unrelated to the belt,water pump, "thermometer" ( you mean thermostat?), fuel relay, exhaust system, or fan relay.

You are very widely throwing parts at the car. We can't help you on this forum with no description of the actual problem and have an engine that was never put into an XJS.

I almost want to ask if this is a troll. I mean i guess some people don't know anything about cars, and wouldn't know a "broken exhaust system" would never cause an engine to stall after 10 minutes, but if that is the case how is any of us telling you the problem won't fix it. If you want an online diagnosis we may be able to help if given enough info, but the odds are you would have to have a hand in it to better determine the problem.

Based on what you have said you need to go to a different and more reputable mechanic and keep your mouth closed. I am being dead serious if you are. Based on the things you have said you went to a mechanic and ran your mouth and informed him that you don't know anything about cars. He took you for a ride and got paid for not fixing your problem. All you need to tell them is it shuts off after 10 minutes and answer any questions about the conditions in which it happens.

don't take this as me being critical of you, I am just trying to give you advice. I have many friends who have had this happen and the problem is always that they didn't consult multiple mechanics and let a cheap shop do whatever they wanted to. When the mechanic says "oh your engine is overheating so I'm going to replace the sway bar end links" and you say "okay, great", he knows he has got you good.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 05-12-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

seriously get on whatever google review you can and complain to the shop because this guy completely did you over. He is either a scammer or a total idiot. Fixing a car doesn't involve any "guessing". It involves proper diagnostic procedures to determine what is wrong and them performing a repair to correct that problem. That is ALL

Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by blu3appl3
My 1995 xjs 3.2 jag is cutting out 10 minutes after driving I have sacked a mechanic who has been guessing what is wrong with my car. A new water pump , fuel relay, belt , thermometer apparently has been fitted and still the same issue,I am awaiting a new exhaust system and fan relay to be delivered but I am sure this is not going to solve my problem can anyone help iam a bit sketchy with what work has suppose to be done on my car as the mechanic has been dishonest.

Sorry to hear this.

First, correctly identify the car/engine so we can be sure we're all on the same page. Next, can you be more specific in your description of the problem? "Cutting out" is vague.

We might be able to help.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Sidescrollin, are you done being judge, jury, and executioner? You've made some very broad assertions about based on a *very vague and brief description* of events.

At first blush this sounds like a colossal ****-up and, at the end of the day, that may well end up being the case. On the other hand, please consider that there might a LOT more to the story that YOU don't know about.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
RagJag (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Sidescrollin, are you done being judge, jury, and executioner? You've made some very broad assertions about based on a *very vague and brief description* of events.

At first blush this sounds like a colossal ****-up and, at the end of the day, that may well end up being the case. On the other hand, please consider that there might a LOT more to the story that YOU don't know about.

Cheers
DD
just giving my honest reply given the small information that can be gathered from the post. I don't always have time to get on here, so I usually scan the forum for threads with the least replies and put as much into one post as I can, since i may not be back later.

What we know based on this post is that:
1. The OP either has a very odd XJS or doesn't know much about them
2. The OP does not have much knowledge of automobiles or if he/she does, they do not convey it in the slightest.
3. The mechanic they took their car to performed multiple repairs completely unrelated to the issue they took it in for.

I responded addressing all these factors and asked the OP for more info while trying to inform them of their misstep in order to avoid future missteps. If this sound harsh to you or anyone else, so be it. Many new users of forums create accounts to ask a question and never come back.
If they read one thing, the most important would be to be aware that mechanics can pick up on whether or not an owner knows anything about their car and will take advantage of it if they are a slimy greaseball. I deal with a friend of mine who on a very regular basis, at many different shops, is provided bogus diagnosis and charged large sums of money because she is very talkative.

If there is more to the story and the OP has a 3.2 swapped XJS and is a ASE certified tech then you could be totally correct about there being more to the story. I'm operating on the information given and responding to that information, not assuming the opposite in order to sound nice.

I think your mistake may be in considering me assuming the OP has no mechanical knowledge as an insult, which it isn't even in the slightest.

If "the Jaguar XJS has at no point in time been outfitted with a 3.2l engine." is considered being rude then "First, correctly identify the car/engine " is sarcastic. Neither of these are the case, but that is how you are treating it. Again, it is your perception that I am being rude or critical when I have stated otherwise. If you want to look at it in your own way that is fine, but don't accuse me of attacking the OP just for being informal,short, or to the point

If it is at all necessary: I apologize blu3appl3 if you took any of my statements offensively. I am not trying to insult you in assuming your level of knowledge about auto repair, I was merely trying to be helpful and give you as much info as possible were you to only see one or two posts in this thread and never return. If you aren't very informed about cars there won't be too much information you can give us to pinpoint an exact problem. We will only be able to provide multiple "probablys" and inform you that what has been done to your vehicle is definite "not-at-alls". I really couldn't care less if you don't know much about cars, I was just trying to give you advice based on personal experience of people getting ripped off in repairs and the major reason as to why. Again, sorry if any of that came off the wrong way.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 05-12-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I responded addressing all these factors and asked the OP for more info while trying to inform them of their misstep

Do you really know what the missteps were?

If this sound harsh to you or anyone else, so be it.
not assuming the opposite in order to sound nice.

If you think taking the most harsh and severe tone and drawing the most dire conclusions is the best way to help the OP then by all means, carry on.

I think your mistake may be in considering me assuming the OP has no mechanical knowledge as an insult, which it isn't even in the slightest.

No, that isn't it at all.

But, I'll let this drop. You have your own style. I won't interfere any further. It isn't helping the OP.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
RagJag (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Do you really know what the missteps were?
If you think that the OP did not take it to a mechanic and sign off allowing the work to be done on multiple repairs unrelated to the problem, then I am unsure what you got out of the original post.
The missteps involved are not researching, checking with other mechanics for a diagnosis, and talking more than what is required. If your assumption is that the OP did all of these things and still got ripped off then who is really assuming the more dire here?

You tend to be very helpful and happy and talk to any XJS owners. I am usually very blunt. I mean no harm, I simply want to resolve issues as soon as possible. When someone makes a post asking a question and there are 140 views and ZERO responses (not this post, just an example) I mean to make a post as quickly as possible covering everything in the posts since noone on the entire forum feels like doing it. Sometimes its like its treated as a chore and everyone ignores a question they don't absolutely know the answer to or don't feel like taking interest in. I understand everyone obviously has the freedom to do as they choose, but this forum is typically a problem/answer deal and not as much discussion, so it can't always operate like one

Last edited by sidescrollin; 05-12-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't take this wrong so as to quit the forum, Doug. 8,967 posts as opposed to 847 say a lot to me. Long rants do not help anyone.
Cheers, RagJag.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,074 Likes on 1,715 Posts

blu3appl3, don't be put off by the big boys, sometimes they can be mean without meaning to!
If you can identify the car properly then we can take it from there; is it an XJS or an X300.
Does it have 2 doors or 4? If it has 4 then you are in the wrong forum!

Last edited by Steve M; 05-12-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Tired
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
Don't take this wrong so as to quit the forum, Doug. 8,967 posts as opposed to 847 say a lot to me. Long rants do not help anyone.
Cheers, RagJag.
No worries, and thanks

Cheers
DD

Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

!

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

WTF??

What happened here? Between the 3.2 XJS and the """don't run your mouth""", I think I got lost!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

stop the presses, someone was offended by someone else on the internet.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

LOL. Can't we all just get along?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
WTF??

What happened here?

Oh, nothing much, really. Sidescrollin was just giving us a demonstration on how to be helpful

Cheers
DD

Old 05-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
LOL. Can't we all just get along?

Of course!

It looks like we won't have to worry about our new member Blu3appl3 pestering us for help in the future so there's one less person to worry about!

Cheers
DD

Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, lets assume he returned and didn't reply because I was too mean. Rather than observing that he is new to the forum and so doesn't remember to check back.Plus 60 people viewed his post without saying a word, so he must have figured noone would say anything.
That couldn't be the case though, i must have just scared him off.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Hey, I have a 1997 XJS with the 4.2 engine. I have a strange noise that I can't seem to pin down. Can someone tell me what part to replace?

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,074 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Yes, lets assume he returned and didn't reply because I was too mean. Rather than observing that he is new to the forum and so doesn't remember to check back.Plus 60 people viewed his post without saying a word, so he must have figured noone would say anything.
That couldn't be the case though, i must have just scared him off.
'He' is a 'she'!; I had a PM thanking me for saying that the original post was in the wrong forum.

Quick Reply: 1995 xjs 3.2