XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1995 XJS convertible and rear window issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020 | 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Jose,

Quick question: If the windows go straight back up when the top is down, how are you testing their ability to go up when the top is raised?

Tks

Paul

Old 03-14-2020 | 05:56 PM

Thanks for helping Paul,
The rear quarter windows do not go up automatically as they are supposed to when the top finishes going up. I need to press the up button again for the windows to rise and for like over 10 seconds and then they go up. I think it is not good for the pump to keep working like that. I have seen videos of the windows going up right after the top is up, no delay. And as I said, when the top finishes going down, the windows rise. they aren't supposed to rise when the top is down.

Old 03-14-2020 | 08:50 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

The rear quarter windows are set do go up eight seconds after you hit the roof switch. If you’re telling me it’s about ten seconds, then everything is as it should be.

Hold the switch, and don’t let go until it’s up, if you let go, the timing goes off-and everything gets confused.

Old 03-15-2020 | 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vee
The rear quarter windows are set do go up eight seconds after you hit the roof switch. If you’re telling me it’s about ten seconds, then everything is as it should be.

Hold the switch, and don’t let go until it’s up, if you let go, the timing goes off-and everything gets confused.
There is certainly something wrong. The rear quarter windows should not go up when the top finishes going down. And they go down when I press the button to put the top up. I keep the button pressed after the top is up and they still do not go up. I switched around all the relays but it made no difference. I'm suspecting it may be the control module? I see that the wiring connector is covered with the hydraulic oil and that may be the problem? I'll clean it up and if it still isn't working maybe I could try a buying a used control module.

Old 03-15-2020 | 12:16 AM

They don't go up when the top is raised.
There is certainly something wrong. The rear quarter windows should not go up when the top finishes going down. And they go down when I press the button to put the top up. I keep the button pressed after the top is up and they still do not go up. I switched around all the relays but it made no difference. I'm suspecting it may be the control module? I see that the wiring connector is covered with the hydraulic oil and that may be the problem? I'll clean it up and if it still isn't working maybe I could try a buying a used control module.

Old 03-15-2020 | 07:11 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

This is gonna sound dumb, but I’m gonna suggest anyways.

Put the convertible top pump in manual. I’m assuming you know where that switch is. Put the top down (if it’s up, and vice versa) manually. Then put the convertible top pump back in automatic and now try to use the switch to see if it works normally now?

Maybe the windows are confused and believe the top is up, when it’s really down? Setting it to manual, and manually changing the roof might get it back in line with where the windows believe the roof is?

Last edited by Vee; 03-15-2020 at 07:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (03-17-2020)
Old 03-15-2020 | 02:11 PM

They don't go back up unless I press the button to make the top go down. Once the top finishes going down, the windows go up. At this point I must manually raise the top to lock up the car because if I push the button to raise the top, the windows go down again.

Old 03-15-2020 | 02:19 PM

It's not dumb Vee, it's a good suggestion but I tried that in the past and now again both ways and it still doesn't work right.
I'm thinking and hoping it's just the switch because it has 5 wires going to it and maybe the part the control windows has failed? I'm going to take it out and try taking it apart and looking at it, or maybe buy a new one for $60.
If it's not the switch, the only other thing I can think of is the convertible top control module. I can get a used one for about $100.
Hopefully one of those will be the solution.
Thank you for your suggestions

Old 03-17-2020 | 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
This is gonna sound dumb, but I’m gonna suggest anyways.

Put the convertible top pump in manual. I’m assuming you know where that switch is. Put the top down (if it’s up, and vice versa) manually. Then put the convertible top pump back in automatic and now try to use the switch to see if it works normally now?

Maybe the windows are confused and believe the top is up, when it’s really down? Setting it to manual, and manually changing the roof might get it back in line with where the windows believe the roof is?
I'm betting Vee is correct... Someone was working on that pump and had things mixed up and mismatched as you stated.

- Leave the 1/4 windows as they are, UP... If they are not UP get them UP before doing anything else.
- Theeeen, manually put the top down/open. Push it down all the way down into it's space back there. A bit of force..
- With the windows still UP return manuel lever back to auto.- Theeeeen, push the console button to OPEN the top.

You'll hear the pump running, driving the already opened top into the OPEN position but just keep holding the button till the pump stops... I have a feeling at some point while the pump is trying to push the top,,, the windows will come down and things will be back in sync... If not,,, pump in manual again and manually pull it up... Latch it even. Then, back in auto and runn the pump to CLOSE the roof. You will hear the pump driving into the already closed position...
I
If that doesn't work,,, use Google maps to find the deepest lake in your area, drive there, nose towards lake, put the car in neutral, get behind it and PUSH... Goodness knows I've thought about it,,, lol

Its some combination of a process like that,,, less the lake

Last edited by JayJagJay; 03-17-2020 at 05:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
garethashenden (03-19-2020), Jose Antonio Rincon (03-17-2020), xjsv12 (08-23-2022)
Old 03-17-2020 | 07:19 PM

I did work on the pump, I opened it up and changed the o ring inside and on the manual/electric lever.
Windows still doesn't go down with the top and do not rise with the top. They go up when the top goes down,
Interestingly though, the windows do go up when the lever is in manual and the top is already up and I keep the up button pressed.
It's like some wires are crossed. The hydraulic lines were crossed and I switched them around and got the top to work. Maybe the lines are still crossed and that could be the problem? If I had a diagram of the hydraulic lines and knew where they belong, maybe that could be the solution? I'm tempted to just switch the wires on the quarter windows to get them to work right but I don't want to butcher my wiring.
Is it at all possible that the switch is bad? I ordered one but maybe I wasted $60. If that doesn't work, I can get a used convertible control module for about $100.
If that doesn't work, I can try switching the wires on the quarter window motors. What do you think?
Thanks for your attempt to help

Old 03-19-2020 | 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose Antonio Rincon
I did work on the pump, I opened it up and changed the o ring inside and on the manual/electric lever.
Windows still doesn't go down with the top and do not rise with the top. They go up when the top goes down,
Interestingly though, the windows do go up when the lever is in manual and the top is already up and I keep the up button pressed.
It's like some wires are crossed. The hydraulic lines were crossed and I switched them around and got the top to work. Maybe the lines are still crossed and that could be the problem? If I had a diagram of the hydraulic lines and knew where they belong, maybe that could be the solution? I'm tempted to just switch the wires on the quarter windows to get them to work right but I don't want to butcher my wiring.
Is it at all possible that the switch is bad? I ordered one but maybe I wasted $60. If that doesn't work, I can get a used convertible control module for about $100.
If that doesn't work, I can try switching the wires on the quarter window motors. What do you think?
Thanks for your attempt to help
Did you do what Vee and I suggested?
The whole procedure and combinations of that?

It's a timing / order of operations problem, it seems.

Open the top in manual LEAVING the windows UP. With the top manually ALL.THE.WAY.OPEN,,, and THE.WINDOWS.UP,,,, return the pump lever to auto and push the button to OPEN the already opened top... Let it cycle. The windows may go down.

If the windows don't go down, put the open top in manual,,, pull it up/closed again. Windows up. Once the the top is up, put the top in auto again while the windows are UP. Then, put the pump back to auto and run it DOWN, again. Starting with the windows up.

I think, with some combination of these cycles, the windows and the top will find sync again.

Old 03-19-2020 | 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Also, and this is going to sound crazy... But

Since lines may be totally reversed... Make sure of the BUTTONS orientation,,, in connection to the orientation of the lines on the pump itself. It might be that you are pushing down on the button, yet raising the top, lowering windows and visa versa... Know what I mean?

Maybe just reverse all lines on the pump leaving everything else the same?

And yes, a diagram of the pump plumbing I'm sure would help but I'm sorry, I don't have it or access to my car right now. Plus, mine is a 1990. Don't know if they are the same.

Old 03-19-2020 | 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Did you do what Vee and I suggested?
The whole procedure and combinations of that?

It's a timing / order of operations problem, it seems.

Open the top in manual LEAVING the windows UP. With the top manually ALL.THE.WAY.OPEN,,, and THE.WINDOWS.UP,,,, return the pump lever to auto and push the button to OPEN the already opened top... Let it cycle. The windows may go down.

If the windows don't go down, put the open top in manual,,, pull it up/closed again. Windows up. Once the the top is up, put the top in auto again while the windows are UP. Then, put the pump back to auto and run it DOWN, again. Starting with the windows up.

I think, with some combination of these cycles, the windows and the top will find sync again.
I did try those things before Vee suggested it and after. Now again after you suggested it.
Maybe the hydraulic lines or the switch are reversed? I don't know but the top switch does make the top open when I press it forward and closes it when press it backward. seems to be working the opposite way. Differently from the front windows. They go up when I press the switch forward. They go down when I press the switch backward. So maybe I need to unplug the top switch and see if I can flip it the opposite way? Thanks for your help

Old 03-19-2020 | 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

I did try those things before Vee suggested it and after. Now again after you suggested it.
Maybe the hydraulic lines or the switch are reversed? I don't know but the top switch does make the top open when I press it forward and closes it when press it backward. seems to be working the opposite way. Differently from the front windows. They go up when I press the switch forward. They go down when I press the switch backward. So maybe I need to unplug the top switch and see if I can flip it the opposite way? Thanks for your help
Sounds like a real THANG... Cheers!
And good luck!

Old 03-20-2020 | 07:37 AM

This is from one of my previous threads, this is for a left hand drive car:
On the cylinders, Lines 1 (lower line) and 2 (upper line) are the driver side cylinder. Lines 3 (lower line) and 4 (upper line) are the passenger side cylinder. Top of the pump on the passenger side is #1 and #2 is on the drivers side, you cannot see 3 and 4, Three is below 1 and 4 is below 2. This is the original position.

Old 03-20-2020 | 09:11 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

was going to suggest you try that! The switch sounds like it’s reversed. The plug can fit into the switch two ways. Take ski slope off, unplug the switch and plug it back in after rotating it 180 degrees!

The following users liked this post:
xroyalnavy (07-28-2021)
Old 08-19-2022 | 09:14 PM
Default Pump motor polarity

Hi Jose

I hope you are well, I'm not sure if you've resolved this issue. I came across this thread as I've been working on my hydraulic leK in the loaded u cup. I believe you will find that the end plate on your pump motor is indexed 180° to its correct position. This happened to me too and results in the brushes in the motor acting in reverse polarity. The swapping of your hydraulic lines has only made this issue more perplexing in that the timing of the windows is now out of whack.

Here is a photo of my pump before starting work on the o-ring replacement. Note the position of the red and black power leads running into the pump.

Here is a photo of the end of my pump after I found the roof was going down when the switch was on up and vice verse (rear windows operating correctly). Note the red and black wires in this image are at the bottom right, they ought to be top left!

Rotating the end plate 180° fixed my problem. As you've swapped your hydraulic lines you will need to switch them back to their correct position. This will resolve your rear window time issue.

Cheers
Ted
​​​​​