XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1996 6.0 XJS Convertible "non running"

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 03:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1996 6.0 XJS Convertible "non running"

Hey gang. New member here. Always loved the XJ-S since a friend of my Dad's showed up in an 87 (maybe 89) BRG/tan TWR coupe one day in my formative early teen years. It made an impression. Now in my 40's, I'm in the collecting phase of my life. I've caught and released a few muscle cars and hot hatches over the years, but am becoming more particular in my tastes. For example I just acquired a beautiful low mileage 1999 Mercedes SL500 AMG this past summer, and needless to say, it has greatly made these trying pandemic times more bearable. But it is now winter in Southern Ontario, and the Silver Bullet Mercedes is tucked away until spring.

The project itch is beginning to... well, itch again.

I have recently stumbled upon a local ad for a 1996 6.0 XJS Convertible "non running". The car is value priced and has just 104k KMS on the odometer. The ad is vague, and simply states "non running - needs investigating". The overall condition of the car is very good, judging solely by the photos. I cannot post a link to the advertisement because he has taken it down over the holidays. However the car is still for sale and I am going to look it over tomorrow afternoon. It is at a bodyshop in Toronto, but doesn't appear to have been there for any collision damage.

My concerns: I have read through various stickies and PDF's about non running V12's. I've used the search function thoroughly. However, most of these threads and documents concern the earlier cars, not the later 6.0 V12 4L80 equipped cars. From what I understand, they are far more modern and user/maintenance friendly than the earlier cars. Which leads me to believe that this XJS may not be a lost cause.

I am decently mechanically inclined, and have good diagnosing skills. I understand the basic operation of a modern car. Air, fuel, spark, mass air flow, cam and crank position sensors, fuel injection etc... I don't expect to poke around the car in this sellers shop and get this car running, as that would be counterproductive to my negotiating leverage. What I would like to know is if there is any death star style weakness on these 6.0 powered 1996 cars that should send me running?? My gut tells me this is a car that was acquired by the seller for nothing, or nearly nothing, and hence, he doesn't want to tinker, or invest money in getting it to run. Simply sell it quickly for some quick cash. This is where my opportunity lies. I'd like to acquire the car and get it running. Yet I'm not able to throw enormous amounts of money and time at the V12. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to do so. But some basic diagnostic stuff, and doing some deferred maintenance? I can handle that. Beyond that, there's always the aluminum LS swap, right?? But I'd prefer to keep the V12 in service.

Keep in mind, this car has low miles, is rust free, and appears to be well maintained. What does everyone think? Is this a slam dunk, or not?

The following 2 users liked this post by Blacksunshine:
Mkii250 (01-04-2021), Softball60 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:05 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Assuming the motor will turn over either from the key or with a breaker bar I would think that the issue is solvable. It might take a little time and a little money to replace/clean a few basic items to start from a good baseline, i.e., new plugs, new gas, fuel filters, battery, electrical connectors

I think if you went thru it systematically to check on electrical connections and basic components to ensure you had good circuits it would not take very long to diagnose the issue.

It literally could be that mice got into the wiring somewhere up in the engine compartment.

Since the car is not running you have great negotiating leverage. Stress that given the unknown factor you could be buying a 2T paper weight.
If you have the space and it sounds like you have the aptitude I would advise to go for it. There is a ton of expertise on this forum to walk you thru you issues. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Mguar (01-07-2021), TR64ever (01-07-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

with the Jag V12 not running is , has it been overheated and to what extent?
ron

Old 01-03-2021, 04:16 PM

Thanks Brad. If I paid sub 5K (canadian dollars) would you still say is a paper weight?? Haha.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:19 PM

Ron. An overheated engine would be a worst case scenario. But until I put eyes on the car, I don't know. Was the cooling system in the 1996 cars more robust and reliable than the earlier cars? Or is it just a matter of up-keep? Only 104k kms on this car. To me that's the sweet spot relative to the age of the car. As learned with German cars, ultra low mileage isn't always a good thing.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Blacksunshine,

Buy it!! And keep the original engine!

A "1996" XJS 6 litre convertible is ultra-rare! It wasn't made in 1996 (I can promise you that) but what you guys on that side of the pond call a "1996" XJS, is one made after 222632 which is about June 1995. As there were only 89 6 litre convertibles made in the whole of 1995, that makes this car one of the last 40 or so 6 litre convertibles made.

Please...buy it!

Good luck

Paul

The following 4 users liked this post by ptjs1:
FerrariGuy (01-07-2021), Mguar (01-07-2021), Mkii250 (01-04-2021), Pavel (01-07-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:50 PM

Well, Paul. That is very good information you have just given me. I will get the VIN number tomorrow afternoon and perhaps we can have a crack at decoding it.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 846 Likes on 529 Posts

As long as it hasn't dropped a valve seat due to neglect and excessive overheating, you'll easily be able to get it running.

Conventional wisdom seems to think the Jaguar V12 is delicate, when in reality it's a very robust engine that is nearly impossible to kill. If an 100K kilometer V12 is ruined, somebody screwed up, not the engine.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Mguar (01-07-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

The 96 is a buy no matter what even if it needs a motor which is extremely unlikely. 96 should have the Vacuum servo brakes too. They are amazing and reliable classic cars that are easy to live with just basic heat related maintenance. They do hoover petrol at an alarming rate. Keep that in mind.

The 6.0L "Ford" V12's are extremely robust with the one exception... the in-tank dual fuel pump setup.

Few tells...

1. You should hear the fuel pump run momentarily with the key on, and the tone should deepen as pressure builds.
2. You should hear fuel injectors clicking when cranking, The Late v12 injectors are loud and clicky and easily heard with the hood up while and cranking.
3. If it's a fuel supply problem the car will run on a flammable like brake clean or starter fluid. There is no MAF, XJS was always speed density.

Make sure the two X braces are there. There should be one in the front and one in the back. These really help the car feel solid and often go missing.

The following 4 users liked this post by icsamerica:
Grant Francis (01-04-2021), Greg in France (01-04-2021), Mkii250 (01-04-2021), orangeblossom (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:29 PM
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

With the 6.0, the overdrive automatic, and the OBD2 engine diagnostics, it sounds like a nice find. I would want to determine if the engine rotates with the starter and does not sound horrible. And make sure it has keys, trying to replace missing keys can be very difficult.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:59 AM
Received 10,478 Likes on 6,919 Posts

Reading all sorts into this car.

Owner states TPS, $600++.
TPS is $145 all day, so the dealer wanted NOTHING to do with the car, normal now, too old for the people working there.

Setting up the TPS, not rocket science, about 2 hours if you are as slack as they come = $200. DIY 3 beers.

The sitting under cover worries me more.

The fuel pumps, it has 2, will be TOAST, and probably the issue with the car in the 1st place.
The state of engine oil, trans fluid, etc is also a concern, soooooo,when looking, pull the dipstick/s and "feel" the oil and smell the oil.
The engine oil will have a distinct petrol/oil odour usually, and "feel" like oil.
The trans fluid should be the same, and a Pink/Red colour. If the trans fluid on the stick is "stinky, like cars pee", then it is OLD, and possibly been HOT, as in the cooling system has struggled, and since the trans fluid cooler is using the engine cooling system as a heat transfer medium, has overheated the trans fluid, OOPS big time.

The cooling system, already covered.
BUT, feel the hoses, as many as you can get to, and if they feel HARD then its been HOT.

Rarity, DAMN RIGHT in any market, just like the X300 6ltr cars.

Buy it right, eyes WIDE open, emotion, LEFT AT HOME. It is a business deal at the end of any day.

If the resurection is DIY, go for it. If it is "mechanic" dependent, OH DEAR, maybe not.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (01-04-2021), orangeblossom (01-04-2021), ptjs1 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 04:35 AM

Going to take a look at the car this afternoon. After doing some reading on production numbers, there may be some confusion on the actual year. I'm led to believe the car should by default be a Celebration Edition. This is the thumbnail photo off the ad, that's no longer active. You can see the absence of the chrome headlight trim and mirrors. Perhaps it's a 95? Nevertheless it's still a low number car. Will report back my findings.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Blacksunshine,

That looks to be a pre-Celebration 6.0 (All XJS after 221855 are Celebration). I expect it's VIN sits between 194774 & 221854. That places it as built between April 1994 and April 1995.

NA XJS have 2 VINs. The primary one given by Jaguar. And the secondary one that NA legislation made them have. The primary VIN is stamped on the metal just in front of the scuttle vent. If it's an original Canadian car, the primary VIN on that car will POSSIBLY be SAJJNMFS4S then K or P (I'd be interested to know that character) then something between 194774 & 221855

Hope that helps

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 01-04-2021 at 12:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Grant Francis (01-04-2021), orangeblossom (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Blacksunshine,

Buy it!! And keep the original engine!
Yes. Anyway, errr...the LS won't fit .

Old 01-04-2021, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacksunshine
I'm led to believe the car should by default be a Celebration Edition. This is the thumbnail photo off the ad, that's no longer active. You can see the absence of the chrome headlight trim and mirrors.
I believe the "Celebration" was in Europe only, but I'm not sure. For a Canadian car (I have a 94 V12) the mirrors and headlights surround should be body colour. The 6 cylinder cars had chrome items. The V12 will also have a spoiler on the trunk lid, 94's have the high mount brake light as a separate item, 95's have the light incorporated into the spoiler.

I see that it is missing both of the chrome covers for the headlight washers, those have been unavailable for years.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Jaxson (01-07-2021), ralphwg (01-09-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 10:50 AM
Received 147 Likes on 110 Posts

You don't mention if it comes with service history.
That might be the most valuable accessory.
I had a 94 6.0 coupe and loved/hated it.
Sold it because I couldn't afford any more 'diagnostics' bills and Smog test was due.
It also started to show some rust spots, but I live in the "Rust capital of the world".
To the best of my ken, after 1993 all 6.0s came with body color mirrors and headlight bezels.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I believe the "Celebration" was in Europe only, but I'm not sure. For a Canadian car (I have a 94 V12) the mirrors and headlights surround should be body colour. The 6 cylinder cars had chrome items. The V12 will also have a spoiler on the trunk lid, 94's have the high mount brake light as a separate item, 95's have the light incorporated into the spoiler.

I see that it is missing both of the chrome covers for the headlight washers, those have been unavailable for years.

The body coloured spec varied between North America and the rest of the world. In North America it was the spec of the 6 litre. whereas in the Rest of the World the 4 litre got that spec from VIN 194774 to 221854.

All XJS after 221855 are called "Celebration" but there's no badges. It's just that Jaguar changed the spec at at that VIN and constructed marketing material and vehicle classifications that used the word "Celebration", as 1995 was the 60th anniversary of a "Jaguar" car (originally called "SS Jaguar" ).

AFAIK, the body-coloured spec ended everywhere at the beginning of the Celebration spec at 221855 Certainly in the rest of the world it did with all 4 litre and 6 litre cars being built to the Celebration spec. I'm sure you guys know better than me if it continued in North America on the 6 litre cars, but I would doubt it? There were so few 6 litre cars being built that it wouldn't seem to make sense to keep their body-coloured specs just for North America.

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Grant Francis (01-04-2021), orangeblossom (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 03:44 PM

Went to see the car today. Vin is SAJNN2348SC197682. Car is a little rough for my tastes. Apparently the non running condition is due to some type of transmission module? Owner is quarantining after a trip during the holidays. So fella that was showing me the car didn't really know too much about it. Says it was slamming into gear, or something along those lines. I checked all the hoses and fluids, and they are all in good condition. The trans fluid was at the correct level. And clean. Needs a soft top for sure. Interior dirty, but not terrible. Dark piping on the seats. Nice touch. Wood veneers are pretty rough as well. Small rust bubble at the A-pillar and cowl. Otherwise paint had blemishes throughout. Chrome headlight washer jet trims missing. Rear bumper reflector busted. Thoughts??

Last edited by Blacksunshine; 01-04-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Fixing it won't be free but.......doesn't sound like it will be impossible.
Does it crank?
You can have the transmission serviced/rebuilt if necessary
New top of course.
A/C and heat are unknowns

Interior trim ...do a little at a time
body(rust) and paint

You have lots of negotiating power with the issues you described. A non-running car needing a new top and cosmetics means he has to give you a very good deal to take it off his hands. Not a long line forming for these cars. I am thinking maybe $2K

You sound pretty handy around cars so you'll be able to handle a lot of the items yourself.

Make a budget to determine how much you're willing to put into the car. Like I said it won't be free but for say $10K or so you could have a very sweet classic ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Grant Francis (01-04-2021), Mkii250 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Did you happen to see the build date on the sticker? Based on the VIN, I'm guessing a Sept-Oct 94 build date as a 95 model year. Sill has the older style brakes, they were switched fairly soon to a vacuum booster. The V12's had the contrasting piping. May car is basically the same colour, exterior is the same, the interior main colour is the same, but I have burgundy piping on the seats and a tan top.

The transmission is a GM 4L80E, but in a Jaguar specific case. There was an issue with the V12 X300 cars that the wiring was a bit short, and as the rear transmission mount sagged over time it pulled on the wires and can either cause them to disconnect or break. Depending on how much detective work you want/are able to do, it may be an easy fix. Wiring diagrams are all available, it should be a matter of testing continuity

I have has new seat covers sewn by Pauls Jaguar in Florida and they did an excellent job of making them as original. I had a local upholstery shop fit the covers to the seats, they said it was easy to do. Pauls's is the "go to" place for XJS interior parts.

The lamp is called a Reflex Lamp, part number DAC11322. Still available from Jaguar, and not too expensive. Shows $83 from the dealer in Ajax, Ontario.

If you can get the car for a good price, I'd buy it.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 01-04-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 1996 6.0 XJS Convertible "non running"