XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1996 XJS Jag and no cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Yes. Pop out the ashtray and place this in the hole. It could be a bit more snug.

I ended up buying the skislope so I don't use it anymore.

Let me know if you want it.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
Sorry for the delayed response.

Here are two photos of the wooden cup holder.
Thanks Vee. That looks very nice. Those are probably not available anymore I would think, correct?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I bought it on eBay about 4 years ago. I don't have any info about the seller. I'm sorry.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezrider
was this a direct swap?
Perhaps not necessarily a "direct" swap.
The X300 lid is a little longer, but the rear hinge has about 1" of adjustment by sliding it along the screws longitudinally. You kind of split the length difference between the front and the back of it.

The other difference is with the lock, but that, too, can be dealt with by designing a catch to mate with the lid's striker. My '94 came with no locking storage inside, so I added the security lock (pic in previous post). It won't snap when closing it, but instead, it can be seriously locked.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
So, I had written a reply along with a couple of pics.....I went to verify the pics and I couldn't come back to the page anymore...the whole post disappeared from the site, WT.!! If anybody can tell me what I did wrong I'd appreciate it.

So, here we go again. I was saying that I bought the single holder at the local Jag dealer, a very well designed (and popular) device for about $50. I had previously installed an X300 lid with the dual cup holders, but they're just too shallow and you spill the drinks, happens in my XJR all the time. I had added the security lock to it, so I kept the lid in place in spite of the useless holders.
Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a coffee colored new x300 cup-holder/armrest like a madman because I thought those cup holders where the ultimate solution. If they are as shallow as you mention, then there is no point.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Perhaps not necessarily a "direct" swap.
The X300 lid is a little longer, but the rear hinge has about 1" of adjustment by sliding it along the screws longitudinally. You kind of split the length difference between the front and the back of it.

The other difference is with the lock, but that, too, can be dealt with by designing a catch to mate with the lid's striker. My '94 came with no locking storage inside, so I added the security lock (pic in previous post). It won't snap when closing it, but instead, it can be seriously locked.
thanks for your reply.

i thought that the cup holders in my brothers x300 although not great were better than nothing, i might consider that option to keep a more stock appearance and retain the ashtrays. plus my center lid has some wear on it. my xjs is a 2 seater with the storage locker. so the locking is not so important to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a coffee colored new x300 cup-holder/armrest like a madman because I thought those cup holders where the ultimate solution. If they are as shallow as you mention, then there is no point.
They're OK with short to medium cups. As a reference, Stabucks' shortest cup, named "tall" (go figure...) is OK, but their Grande (medium) and Venti (tallest): taking a chance on sudden stops/turns. Ask any X300/X308 owner about picking up an emptied coffee cup from the far end of the passenger side floor...

I don't see anymore the nice single, color coded and folding cup holder that I bought from the Jag dealer years ago. In fact, back then they were a popular item featured in most car accessory catalogs, including Mercedes catalog. I now see a similar item, albeit of lesser quality, in most car Websites, including lots of them on eBay and far cheaper than what I paid for mine. Can't go wrong at below $10, as I paid $49.95 to the Jag dealer for mine on perfectly matching Barley color. This is one of the links:
Black Toyota MR2 Turbo Factory Stock Look Folding Drink Beverage Cup Holder | eBay

It is adjustable, so it's always a snug fit for the cup.
Good luck. Cheers,