XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

4.0 fuel pump - what should I know before replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 02:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4.0 fuel pump - what should I know before replacing?

Hi all, I've been enjoying my early facelift 4.0 this year through summer and planning some work for the winter. I'm currently recommissioning a Volvo v70 as a winter hack but that's another story!

Unfortunately in the last few hundred miles the fuel pump has developed a death whine - it started out intermittent but got more persistent as time has gone on and it's clear its days are numbered. I'm throwing fuel system cleaner in there every other tank but I know that's more a superstitious observance rather than a practical solution at this point!

Question for you knowledgable lot is how much work is it to replace the pump, and are there any watchouts or labour saving techniques I should be aware of before I get stuck in? I've never removed a fuel tank before so new territory for me.

A few things I've picked up reading other threads: Can I replace with a generic part? I'm pretty sure the original is still available but would a quality generic part perform equally well for less cost? Or is the mounting somewhat specific? Also is it strictly necessary to detach the fuel lines and displace the tank rearward by a good distance to access the top panel, or is it doable in situ? Guess I'm trying to work out is this something I can do in an afternoon on the driveway, or does it require lifting the vehicle, prep, disassembly, cursing, etc...

Last edited by MattShill; 09-15-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:29 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

You will need to pull the tank out...some of the way... You may not need to pull it all the way, so you may not need to release the fuel lines from the tank, but I'm not sure that's a big deal, just don't lose the clips locking it in place!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-257736/

You'll want to label the pipes/tubes going in/out of the hydraulic pump that operates the roof. It's a ton of work, but I think you should be able to knock it out in a weekend.

I would buy a name brand pump as you don't want to do this twice. Denso? AC Delco? I would also be prepared to replace some hoses inside the tank... again, don't skimp. Buy the Gates Permashield hoses. Not sure what sizes, but a foot of each size should do?

While there, you'll notice a third hard pipe that vents the gas tank. You may want to be prepared to replace it. You'll need a few feet of some kind of bendable pipe. If the one you have is in good shape, then leave it be....but it will be nice to have something on hand in case its starting to clog up.

Lastly, add replacing your fuel filter to the list of things to do in the near future. A new pump deserves a new filter.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
MattShill (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 03:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great, thanks for the link and the info Vee! Mine's a coupe so slightly simpler in that respect at least, I'll start pricing up bits (inc filter and hoses) and tackle it in a month or so. Overall it's been great driving over summer, surprisingly no trouble day to day, so really want to get this fixed before doing more serious miles!

Old 09-15-2022, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Hi Matt

I don't want to disillusion you but replacing the In-Tank Fuel Pump on an XJS 4.0L is the Job from Hell

So if you want her ready for next Summer, then why not start Now!

Unfortunately I am only half joking!

Also used a Generic Pump that I got off ebay that is still going strong

Replacing the In-Tank Fuel Pump on an XJS 4.0L

I'm in the UK so please get back if (I mean when) you get probs

Good Luck

Alex

Old 09-15-2022, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

Replacing the in-tank pump is no joke on an XJS and I can assure you that you wont want to do it twice. DO NOT use a generic pump becasue most are Chinese crapola. Only use a EO pump. Shouldn't be hard to find, I think it's common Ford pump. I use a slightly larger Walbro Mustang pump because all of my car's engine are enchanced in some way. The Walbro's have brass gearotors which are slightly noisier. The OE pump has a plastic pump and do just fine too in OE applications. .

Old 09-16-2022, 12:06 PM
Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

If you have the "in tank" pump, you need to disconnect the two lines that are at the bottom of the tank.
They are only accessible from under the car above the Diff.
Both lines have 'D' ring clips that need to be undone to pull the lines.