XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

78 XJS V12 Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 XJS V12 Newbie Questions

Hi,
so I`m new to Jaguar, and especially XJ-S and got some questions.

It`s a 78 Jaguar 5.3l XJS V12.

The Car seems to be some kind of convertible. Does anyone have more information on this?
The previous owner changed the wheels to some AZEV. But they`re rubbing on the wheel arches, so to comply with federal regulations I need to change them to the original ones. What are the correct wheels and tire sizes for this car?
And the car is leaking oil. Mostly from the rear differential, the Automatic gearbox, the oil pan.
I suspect the oilpan and the rear crankshaft seal to be leaking. I suspect that I need to take down the gearbox to replace the crankshaft seal, do I need any special tools for this? Or will a well equipped workshop be sufficient? When taking down the gearbox, I will replace the rear gearbox output shaft, and the gasket of the gearbox-oil-pan.

In the interior is a constant smell of gasoline, but I can`t find a leak. Any typical problems to look out for?

What kind of fluids and how much does this car need?
- Differential
- Engine Oil
- Automatic Gearbox

Thank you so far

Old 04-03-2020, 06:25 PM

Nevermind the oil leak questions, I`ve overlooked the oil leak thread. Sorry for that

Old 04-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 806 Posts

Hello. Its a good looking car though! There should be a sticker in the door jamb stating factory tire size and curb weight and such. Is that still there? Those look like expensive high speed tires, but if they rub then whats the point? Silly P.O.. Also, I think theres an article on the XJS development and progression of convertible production in the stickies too. Im sure someone with Actual information will be along soon. I hope you can get your leaks plugged.

The following users liked this post:
movario (04-04-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:18 PM

Thank you, no stickers in the door jam, because I`m in switzerland and euro cars usually don`t have these stickers. Also no manual and nothing, the previous owner just gave me the keys and the car and told me thats all he has. So i`m gathering information about this car. I need to replace the tires anyway, because they`re ooooooooold and one of them is damaged so the car won`t pass federal inspectdion even if the tires weren`t rubbing. So i try to look out for used ones.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 806 Posts

Hmm. Ok, Sorry to mislead. Went out and checked. Mine has Dunlop Qualifier 235/60/15 on the stock lattice wheels. Wish I could be more help.

movario (04-04-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 08:44 PM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Hello movario

Nice looking car and welcome to the forum

Can you tell us a bit more of the recent history of your prize - was it on the road and regularly driven - or has it been stored for some time?

Regarding oil leaks on the diff, gearbox and sump pan - I would firstly give the area a real good de greasing and soap and water wash (don't do this to the top part of the engine - only carefully around the sump pan. Then put them into observation - to make sure they are in fact leaking and not just 40 years of rubbish that has collected at the joins. (this happens a lot around diffs, gearbox - more prone to leaking if the car is not used often, and there is not too many posts about the sump leaking - but a lot of stuff above the sump leaking down to make it look like they leak.

They are a lot of water affected stuff on the motor - so don;t pressure wash it - hand wash only (very carefully)

Regarding fuel smell - doesn't matter what the breed of car - if the designers place the fuel tank inside the boot, it will more than likely smell like gas - a lot of posts about this problem - but I found this article a while ago that sums the problems up

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-stuff-220864/

Regarding the convertible - Jaguar did not make a convertible until much later. They did send some cars to the coach builders who made them into them though. This might be one of them

Regarding tires - lots of recent posts on tires - so have a look through the recent posts to get some idea. Mine are not original - so can't help there

Again - nice looking machine and welcome

Cheers
Steve

movario (04-04-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by movario
Hi,
so I`m new to Jaguar, and especially XJ-S and got some questions.

It`s a 78 Jaguar 5.3l XJS V12.

I think it might be newer than that. It has the later bumpers that were introduced with the "HE" variant in 1981 and used until about 1991/92. More pics would help clarify. Or the VIN.

The Car seems to be some kind of convertible. Does anyone have more information on this?

Not a factory-built convertible. Some sort of custom-built version, which was somewhat common at the time.

The previous owner changed the wheels to some AZEV. But they`re rubbing on the wheel arches, so to comply with federal regulations I need to change them to the original ones. What are the correct wheels and tire sizes for this car?
205/70x15 for the 1976-1980/81 versions, prior to introduction of the "HE" engine
215/70x15 for the 1981/82 "HE" models until 1988/89
235/60x15 after 1988/89

And the car is leaking oil. Mostly from the rear differential, the Automatic gearbox, the oil pan.
I suspect the oilpan and the rear crankshaft seal to be leaking. I suspect that I need to take down the gearbox to replace the crankshaft seal, do I need any special tools for this? Or will a well equipped workshop be sufficient? When taking down the gearbox, I will replace the rear gearbox output shaft, and the gasket of the gearbox-oil-pan.
Unless these leaks are absolute gushers I respectfully suggest inspecting the car for other issues first. The vast majority of used XJSs are in dire need of cooling system work, brake repairs, fuel hoses, ignition repair, etc.

In the interior is a constant smell of gasoline, but I can`t find a leak. Any typical problems to look out for?
Leaky fuel tanks and hoses are common on the XJS. Fuel hoses in the engine bay are critical from both an odor and safety standpoint and should be replaced unless you have proof of this being done recently

What kind of fluids and how much does this car need?
- Differential
- Engine Oil
- Automatic Gearbox
Nothing exotic required, although some owners use specialty lubricants

Differential: any name brand 80/90 gear lube will be fine. Make sure to get the stuff meant for limited slip differentials. Or use a limited slip additive
Transmission: Dexron III or any of the later Dexron formulations
Engine: Lots of varying opinions. It's like discussing your favorite beer. Most V12 owners like 20/50, some prefer synthetic, others not

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (04-03-2020), Greg in France (04-04-2020), movario (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bez74
Can you tell us a bit more of the recent history of your prize - was it on the road and regularly driven - or has it been stored for some time?
Has been sitting in a Garage for quite some time, did start with a bit of help, but unfortunately no information for how long (but not more than 3 years)

Regarding oil leaks on the diff, gearbox and sump pan - I would firstly give the area a real good de greasing and soap and water wash (don't do this to the top part of the engine - only carefully around the sump pan. Then put them into observation - to make sure they are in fact leaking and not just 40 years of rubbish that has collected at the joins. (this happens a lot around diffs, gearbox - more prone to leaking if the car is not used often, and there is not too many posts about the sump leaking - but a lot of stuff above the sump leaking down to make it look like they leak.
Already did that, and it`s definitely leaking "fresh" oil. As I have seen in the oil leak pdf, an oilchange will work wonders, so I do this first, especially that the car was standing around for so long.

Regarding fuel smell - doesn't matter what the breed of car - if the designers place the fuel tank inside the boot, it will more than likely smell like gas - a lot of posts about this problem - but I found this article a while ago that sums the problems up

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-stuff-220864/
Will check on that and will check the hoses.

I think it might be newer than that. It has the later bumpers that were introduced with the "HE" variant in 1981 and used until about 1991/92. More pics would help clarify. Or the VIN.
VIN is 2W5 481 8BW and first registration date stated in the vehicle documents is 1978

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Does anyone no where I can get a new hood latch release cable? Mine looks like it`s going to fail anytime soon.

Last edited by movario; 04-04-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:14 AM

Depends on originality that you want to keep - I used a bicycle brake cable (or maybe a chair cable - we had one lying around the place) - has worked really well.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Bez74; 04-04-2020 at 05:15 AM. Reason: extra info
Old 04-04-2020, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,253 Likes on 5,435 Posts

Some useful links for you:
jaguar Classic parts: very good for identifying part numbers and they still stock quite a few items: https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Very good aftermarket parts suppliers: David Manners: https://www.jagspares.co.uk/
SNG Barratt: https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...s/XJS/7/XJS/37

if you go to Jaglovers you will find you can download a free copy of Kirby Palm's book about the XJS. This is a very good primer about the car and how it works in great detail.

Please post some engine bay and interior shots, as you car is a very interesting one-off according to the data you have supplied.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:42 AM

Here are some pictures of the interior and the engine. I already changed the distributor cap and finger, cables, spark plugs. No it`s running on 12 cylinders again.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Interesting car. I suspect it has been owned by an enthusiast who wasn't shy about upgrades

Obviously an early engine but I see some interior trim updates to a later style.....as well as the previously mentioned later style bumpers.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-04-2020, 12:15 PM

Here is a video about the oil leaks
(ignore the music ) It`s before the washing of the chassis, so it`s not as bad as in the video.

Is this an arden convertible?

Will Jaguar XJ40 wheels or these XJ40 "pepperpots" also fit?

These https://www.ebay.de/itm/Jaguar-XJS-X...5644%7Ciid%3A1

in combination with 205/70 R15 tires would be the original combination. Am I right?

Last edited by movario; 04-04-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:30 AM

Today, I took a look at the differential that is leaking. It seems that I can`t get around replacing the output shaft seals. I seems to be a Salisbury differential. Where could I get the complete replacement AEU1803 and AEU1802? Or which parts do I need to rebuild them by myself? Do I need to get the complete rear axle out, or is this doable with the differential in place (I would rather avoid having to align the car, as it seems complicated to align anything)? I can only find one type of outputshaft seal. Is it the same in all XJS differentials?

Last edited by movario; 04-06-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:22 AM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by movario
Here is a video about the oil leaks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwNp9jRZHY (ignore the music ) It`s before the washing of the chassis, so it`s not as bad as in the video.

Is this an arden convertible?

Will Jaguar XJ40 wheels or these XJ40 "pepperpots" also fit?

These https://www.ebay.de/itm/Jaguar-XJS-X...5644%7Ciid%3A1

in combination with 205/70 R15 tires would be the original combination. Am I right?
Leaking LEAKING, oh i can only dream of the day my underside looks that dry Good work!

Old 04-07-2020, 02:10 AM

Going to have to agree with aoi - that is a nice looking car underneath as well
And it is better after you washed it? - I am typeless
If your roadworthy people are complaining about that - might be wise to go to another inspector

Cheers

Old 04-07-2020, 02:37 AM

Well, the inspectors here are pretty strict about it. You can`t have ANY oilleaks. The car has to be completely dry, no matter the age or type of the car. I will wash it down again and change the oil, and hopefully it will be enough that it`s dry until the inspection is over.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:11 AM
Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Tyres for this car should be 205/70 VR15
Original Wheels are GKN Kent Alloys..no other option was offered for preHEs.
As pointed out previous owners have modified the car. Apart from cutting the roof off other non original items are...
Bumpers
Dashboard...no early cars had wood.
Kick plates...early ones were grey plastic
Steering wheel
Wiper grille
Later style headlamps
Boot badges..early cars have individual X J - S on the right hand side.
also the car has an XJ12 fuel filter. The XJS version is smaller so it doesn't touch the hood.
Fuel smell could be many reason...leaking fuel tank isn't unusual for cars of this age...but check every pipe for decay as well.
Hope this helps.
David

Old 04-09-2020, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Good looking car, welcome to the forum. It has to be a coachbuilt conversion. I've seen some early ones in Jaguar World magazine. There were a couple of companies in England who built these.Factory convertibles weren't built until the '89 model year. There were authorized Hess and Eisenhardt conversions sold through Jag dealers for a few years before '89. The H&E cars have a very complicated dual tank system in the trunk, one tank above the other, they were notorious for fuel leaks. The H&E cats had a top that fold almost flat with the rear deck unlike the factory cars.You car has an interesting top that has eliminated the rear quarter windows. It looks very nice. Check all the fuel and vent lines around the gas tank for seeping, it shouldn't smell so bad of fuel. Good luck with your car.