XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

88 XJS HE Antennae Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 88 XJS HE Antennae Replacement

Hi everyone, my mechanic is telling me that my retractable antenna is "done". (Jag is in Canada waiting for the ECU Module so I'm having him check on a few other things). Can an aftermarket antennae be used or should I try to put an OEM back in it? If I can use an aftermarket, any recommendations on manufacturers? Of course, I'd prefer a Jag part, but what's the most I should pay for one? Please note that I'm a girl and though I can usually keep up with you fellas on a better than average level, please don't get too mechanical on me : ) Here's what I know about antennas: they go up, and they go down. And they make the radio work...most of the time. LOL. Thanks. Susan.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

I replaced the faulty stock unit in my 86 XJS with the Metra 44-PW530 European...off the shelf at AutoZone...fit like a glove, all connections/attachments. 20 minuet install from start to finish.

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
billsautoworks (01-01-2013), encitartus (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Hmmmm?

Using an original antennae would be a better idea but they are hard to find. They come up on ebay from time to time, but you risk (as I have) getting one that won't work even if they claim it does, and if you find one that is guaranteed to work it will cost a lot. But it's merely a plug in away from being installed. An aftermarket antennae (which you'll find all over ebay) will have to be rewired. you can cut off the plug from your old antennae and wire it to the new one so it will ultimately just PLUG into the body harness plug, but I can't tell you how to make the connections as I've never done that but, a pro will know. What I can tell you is that up to 1991 the body harness plug had 3 wires and the antennae used a relay to make it go up and down. From 1992-96 there were only two wires to and from the antennae and no relay, so trying to use (as I tried) an antennae from 92-96 won't work. I believe the 3rd wire on the early cars was the trigger wire from the radio to make it go up and down and the later cars had the audio system completely redesigned thus eliminating that third wire and relay. An OEM antennae will also maintain the value of your Jag IF you can find one that works and if you do.....I'll be jealous. Hope I helped, Bud

Last edited by buddyluv; 12-27-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: left out info
The following users liked this post:
encitartus (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buddyluv
Using an original antennae would be a better idea but they are hard to find. They come up on ebay from time to time, but you risk (as I have) getting one that won't work even if they claim it does, and if you find one that is guaranteed to work it will cost a lot. But it's merely a plug in away from being installed. An aftermarket antennae (which you'll find all over ebay) will have to be rewired. you can cut off the plug from your old antennae and wire it to the new one so it will ultimately just PLUG into the body harness plug, but I can't tell you how to make the connections as I've never done that but, a pro will know. What I can tell you is that up to 1991 the body harness plug had 3 wires and the antennae used a relay to make it go up and down. From 1992-96 there were only two wires to and from the antennae and no relay, so trying to use (as I tried) an antennae from 92-96 won't work. I believe the 3rd wire on the early cars was the trigger wire from the radio to make it go up and down and the later cars had the audio system completely redesigned thus eliminating that third wire and relay. An OEM antennae will also maintain the value of your Jag IF you can find one that works and if you do.....I'll be jealous. Hope I helped, Bud
The Metra 44-P530 EUROPEAN is a direct fit...NO alterations to existing wiring is necessary, cost about $65...the original is a German design that has an Achilles heel that it lets water run down over the circuit board and shorts out draining your battery. The Metra Euro one fits, is not visible behind the trim panel and cost WAY less then the original and will probably outlast the car. Antenna wire fit perfectly, relay wireing simple and easy to plug into existing harness. As I said, took me 20 minuets from start to finish....sorry to disagree with you. If you get one and want the wiring hookup I'll take a picture of mine and send to you to make it even easier. I seriously doubt the value of my Jaguar has been reduced by my adding an undectable from stock power antenna that did nothing to the existing wiring and is undetectable unless you pull the boot trim panel...so far no JCNA points removed for it.

Last edited by JTsmks; 12-27-2012 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
encitartus (12-27-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
The Metra 44-P530 EUROPEAN is a direct fit...NO alterations to existing wiring is necessary, cost about $65...the original is a German design that has an Achilles heel that it lets water run down over the circuit board and shorts out draining your battery. The Metra Euro one fits, is not visible behind the trim panel and cost WAY less then the original and will probably outlast the car. Antenna wire fit perfectly, relay wireing simple and easy to plug into existing harness. As I said, took me 20 minuets from start to finish....sorry to disagree with you. If you get one and want the wiring hookup I'll take a picture of mine and send to you to make it even easier. I seriously doubt the value of my Jaguar has been reduced by my adding an undectable from stock power antenna that did nothing to the existing wiring and is undetectable unless you pull the boot trim panel...so far no JCNA points removed for it.
I'd really appreciate a photo of the hook up. Mine is starting to get stuck at the last retraction. Started when I had car painted and they removed it.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

"Mine is starting to get stuck at the last retraction"

Lubricate the shaft in the extended position with a quality silicone lubricant NOT WD-40 then run it up/down a few times.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

What is wrong with WD40 for this application?
I have used it on lots of car aerials and never had any problems, just always made sure that I wiped off any excess.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hope these load...the Metra Euro has three wires, Blue, Red, Black...Blk is Ground and mounts to mount plate...red and blue are shown where to plug into factory harness.....spot tie and tuck next to unit and put the carpeted cover back on.

Attached Thumbnails 88 XJS HE Antennae Replacement-1_zps07023c43.jpg   88 XJS HE Antennae Replacement-5_zps997a5b50.jpg   88 XJS HE Antennae Replacement-2_zps9c470ad4.jpg   88 XJS HE Antennae Replacement-3_zps3946df05.jpg   88 XJS HE Antennae Replacement-4_zps6a1c5172.jpg  

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

WD-40 is a water displacer NOT a lubricant...iut initially stops squeaks because it contains a waxy/paraffin substance which hardens and cakes over timer (shortly after use!) NOT a good lube in the long run but a great water displacer when you want to dry something out...dist cap etc.
Maybe this can shed a little light...
When Should I Not Use WD-40?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, that is one website: how can a substance actually attract moisture whilst dispersing it at the same time? Nanobots with tiny, tiny mops and buckets?
From the manufacturers-
What does WD-40 Multi-Use Product do?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product fulfills five basic functions:
1. LUBRICATES: The product's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
2. PENETRATES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
3. PROTECTS: The product protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
4. REMOVES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product gets under dirt, grime and grease. Use it to remove gunk from tools, equipment and vehicles. WD-40 Multi-Use Product in liquid form (e.g., gallon) also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of excess bonding material.
5. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because it displaces moisture, WD-40 Multi-Use Product quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.

As i said, I have used it for many years on many aerials and had no problems with it.
Each to his (or her) own I guess.
Horses for courses.
One man's meat etc. etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Why would the manufacture stretch the truth....... ; )

Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Gosh, you're not implying that they are making things up to sell more product are you?
That would be terrible and other manufacturers might catch on and do the same thing and then where woulod we be?
Feeding the lawyers.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
What is wrong with WD40 for this application?
I have used it on lots of car aerials and never had any problems, just always made sure that I wiped off any excess.
I have used WD 40 hitherto, but as my aerial started not fully extending yet again, having read Grant Francis' advice to someone on a recent thread, I used a silicone aerosol spray this last time.

I'll let you know if it lasts longer than WD40. My aerial is still the factory original with the remote drive unit.

Greg

ps Lucky sod to have driven a Lister! (see heretic's thread!)