XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

90 XJS Brake Fluid Leak Brake Line Connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default 90 XJS Brake Fluid Leak Brake Line Connector

Good morning all.

So I have been rolling on my recently drivable set O XJS wheels. She feels GOOD! Lots of work done and lots more to do but still, a deep sense of satisfaction... I plan on taking my first trip over the Verazzano into Brooklyn to see my lady tonight. And learning that (especially at first) to drive an XJS one needs to be a little bit of a risk taker, lol

I've been noticing a little drip spot under the car after parking. Pulled up, put my hand under to catch one of the sloooow drips. Brake fluid! Followed it up to find what I think is the source (see pic)... This connector/fitting. Looks like there is some kinda O'ring or something there? Why is it so beefy?

Why does it have to be designed so complicated?

Seeking some GOD. Good Orderly Direction... I know I have some work to do here. Can anyone help me know what I am looking at and getting into, what's involved, so I don't go in making matters worse? Any tricks?

For the clean'n freaks, lol... I know it's messy in there!!! Lol,,, This week I finally scored a fire hydrant garden hose coupler/adaptor... Having water and a way to wash cars out front in the street where I do all my work - is in my future 😊

The large connector there. You can see where the brake fluid has eaten the paint - makes me sad 😔😔😔

Just to help with location and perspective. And YES,,, I know it's messy!

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-28-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Looks like the 'delay valve' CBC4233

Have you tried just nipping up the fittings a bit?

Cheers
DD

Old 08-28-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

JJJ
I am not sure which thing is dripping. Is it the black tube-like thing with the P clip holding it to the wing, or the big fitting in the background, lower down on the wing?

Last edited by Greg in France; 08-28-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Looks like the 'delay valve' CBC4233

Have you tried just nipping up the fittings a bit?

Cheers
DD
Delay??? New to me and I don't know what that is...
When you say nipping,,, what do you mean? Tighten?

Old 08-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
JJJ
I am not sure which thing is dripping. Is it the black tube-like thing with the P clip holding it to the wing, or the big fitting in the background, lower down on the wing?
I think my drip is coming from the big fitting and, it appears to be leaking in the area of the connection where what looks like an O'ring is... I just looked at the cost of a new delay valve... Now I am skerd!!!

I have no drag in my brakes, which is a good sign???

Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Is there a way to simplify this braking system?
There seems to be a lot of "fail" points...

Would this cause an ABS light to come on? Mine is on,,, but I thought for different reasons.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Is there a way to dissect and repair a delay valve and,,, is the exposed O'ring really there to create a seal of sorts? Can the sections be undone to replace the ring?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Delay??? New to me and I don't know what that is...
When you say nipping,,, what do you mean? Tighten?
Nipping = tighten, yes

Lots of cars have a delay valve/metering valve/proportioning valve. There are variations on the theme but, in essence, they all are used to alter (or delay) the braking force to the rear calipers

Cheers
DD

Old 08-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Is there a way to dissect and repair a delay valve and,,, is the exposed O'ring really there to create a seal of sorts? Can the sections be undone to replace the ring?

Repair kits are available for some older USA cars, at least. I've rebuilt a couple. Not sure if anything is available for this particular valve.

In some cases that big o-ring really doesn't serve any function as far as sealing against brake fluid leakage but, rather, just to cover up a couple tiny vent holes

Cheers
DD

Old 08-28-2019, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

This is from a GM car but it'll give you a rough idea of what you might find if you opened up your delay valve

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/gm-1233464-rebuild

Cheers
DD

Old 08-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Nipping = tighten, yes

Lots of cars have a delay valve/metering valve/proportioning valve. There are variations on the theme but, in essence, they all are used to alter (or delay) the braking force to the rear calipers

Cheers
DD
Doug,,, thank you much. For what it's worth I had the rear end up the other day testing the rear (main) brakes and they seemed to work perfectly,,, releasing and such. I hear a symptom of a bad delay valve is that the breaks lock....I didn't get that.

But ok,,, will try and get a wrench on the input and output lines and tighten.... Q: If I can tighten the sections of the valve,,, does it mean I can separate the sections and replace what looks like an O'ring in there? Is there a specific ring?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry. Looks like I was replying while you were offering additional messages...

Old 08-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

JJJ
The O ring, with the outer diameter visible and not compressed will be very unlikely to be a seal against brakeline pressure. With luck - spanner on each side remember as you do NOT want to twist the fitting/brakepipe - a bit of a tighten will do it.

As to simplifying the brake system, forget it. Probably illegal, probably uninsureable, leaves you open to being sued in the event of an accident, and FAR more work and money than - worst case - buying and fitting a new valve. If you do have to fit a new one, post here about bleeding the brakes afterwards; this is not simple on some ABS models.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Good morning all.

So, for sure, thanks to the help of a friend pressing the break, the leak is positively coming from that seam that looks like it has an O'ring filling the gap. Thing is, it LOOKS like an O'ring from the outside but I'm sure it could be a large flat rubber (speciality) washer - or something - filling that gap between sections... I fear separating the valve. I DO NOT want to spend $250 on a new delay valve.

Does anyone know what I'm looking at here?

Old 08-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

One fellow on J-L says this BMW valve will work....but you'll obviously need some adapt/change the fittings

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-34331152494

Cheers
DD

Old 08-29-2019, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

.. I fear separating the valve. I DO NOT want to spend $250 on a new delay valve.

Does anyone know what I'm looking at here?
Fear acknowledged.

What are your choices?

- Spend $250 on replacement
- Live with the leak
- Adapt BMW valve
- Eliminate it entirely
- Attempt repair

I'd be tempted to remove it, open it, and see what makes it tick. It probably has some internal o-rings that need replacing.

Maybe there is somebody out there rebuilding metering valves?

Cheers
DD

Old 08-29-2019, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
JJJ
The O ring, with the outer diameter visible and not compressed will be very unlikely to be a seal against brakeline pressure. With luck - spanner on each side remember as you do NOT want to twist the fitting/brakepipe - a bit of a tighten will do it.

Worth a try!

As to simplifying the brake system, forget it. Probably illegal, probably uninsureable, leaves you open to being sued in the event of an accident, and FAR more work and money than - worst case - buying and fitting a new valve. .

Not a huge consideration here in the USA. It is very, very unlikely that anyone will ever know or care.

Rather than legalities I'd be more concerned, personally, about how the braking dynamics of the car might be changed. Subtle difference? No discernible difference? Huge difference? I dunno.

I've driven other cars when similar valves have been abandoned and never felt unsafe....but surely the braking action isn't optimal with the designed-in front-to-rear balancing

Cheers
DD

Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

JayJagJay,

A pressure delay valve for the rear brakes was fitted to all XJS with ABS and all XJ40 (XJ6 & XJ12) with ABS. There's a part change number on XJS from mid-93 but I expect any of them would fit and work. I've never seen one leak or fail before. So, one other option to Doug's list would be just to get a used part from any Jaguar breakers.

Good luck

Paul

Old 08-29-2019, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you all!

Hmm. In thinking about simplifying the breaking system, it was/is more in terms of considering the many expensive and hard to get components of the system (pardon my ignorance in even naming them accurately)... But the passenger side (LHD) booster assembly - the pump and globe... The whole ABS system (my ABS light is on - and I don't at this point even know if the abs lens on my dash corresponds with the light behind it - OMG - lol). The braking set up on the driver's side that connects to the peddle and all the lines associated. To me, with limited financial means, I have nightmares about any of these components going bad. Some of it I have to live with but are there alternatives to all of that,,, machinery?

Anyways. The first thing I will do is detach it from the wall and see if I can get a 5th, 6th or 8th of a turn on the two sections. Fingers crossed, hope and pray that that does it. The leak is to great a leak to ride with unfortunately. If that doesn't work I will take off and apart and see what the thing is made up of. Rebuild kits???. If that doesn't work,,, ****,,, shelling out money. But she is so worth it!!!

Was doing at least 80mph hour on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway this morning, top down, sunglasses, and she is the smoothest rider I own. Two thumbs up from others... Tach didn't go over 2.5... And, I just realized that the tach reads in X100,,, not X1000. WHAT an amazing thing!

Besides this current WORRY, targeting a saggy rear end and ride height (springs and blisten rear shocks), right setting the POT on the ECU for what seems like a rich running condition. Figuring out the ABS light situation and cleaning up grounds as my voltage sinks way low when brake lights and head lights are on at the same time, lol. Got my work cut out for me. Also have a new set O pins for the IRS inner wishbones...

Do folks think it would be some kind of large flat washer,,, or a regular old O'ring in that gap?

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-29-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hahaha. It just occurred to me that my ABS light might just be a O2 sensor light. I've changed the lens case across the top of the instrument cluster in chasing the speedO problem... I think this machine is having an effect (good or bad I don't know) on my mental health, lol

Quick Reply: 90 XJS Brake Fluid Leak Brake Line Connector