XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

90 XJS Brake Fluid Leak Brake Line Connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

JJJ
The Bilsteins will considerably firm up (ie ruin in my view!) your ride quality. Boge's will keep it Jaguar-like.
Good luck with the brake thingy.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
JJJ
The Bilsteins will considerably firm up (ie ruin in my view!) your ride quality. Boge's will keep it Jaguar-like.
Good luck with the brake thingy.
Is that right??? I think I like the softer smoother...

And what about springs? I find 1000 different answers here.

Thank you Greg

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-29-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Keep the current factory springs unless the rear ride height is too low. If it is, fit new springs from the normal suppliers. Just ask for normal springs, not specially hard or sportspack ones. eg:
https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.c...69-c2x24297750
Fit Boges and you are good to go.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Keep the current factory springs unless the rear ride height is too low. If it is, fit new springs from the normal suppliers. Just ask for normal springs, not specially hard or sportspack ones. eg:
https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.c...69-c2x24297750
Fit Boges and you are good to go.
Damn Greg! What an amaaaaazing price...
I so appreciate your help!

Old 08-29-2019, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Damn again! Looks like they won't deliver to the US...

And yes,,, sagggggy springs in the rear. Ride height is way low.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

So,,, what do folks think of this set? It's less than $40 bucks shipping for a set of 4 to the US... Is "quality aftermarket" just too risky? I worry about spending the doe,,, then changing the springs and shocks,,, just to end up with the same ride height issue. These finicky cars, lol

Sorry... I know this is an unrelated topic for this thread. But these. What say you?

https://www.britishparts.co.uk/class...4/spring-p5717

Old 08-29-2019, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Ok... So back to the original issue...

Got home and took the part off completely (sorry no pic) and although I was able to separate that larger 24mm section off of the valve, the section where is leaking,,, unless I'm missing something or need to eat me spinich,,, does not or is not coming off/separate. The leak is absolutely coming from around seal - which I think is a flat black rubber washer... If it does move,,, I'm guessing it's turned down and bottomed out on the tighten side O things. But,,, I don't believe it comes apart or is threaded...

I don't know what to do. I don't want to buy an alt part or the $250 new... Shoot.

Paint in the area is toast from the fluid

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-29-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

In for a penny, in for a pound. It's leaking now so it needs repair. Dig in and see what happens. If you bollix it up, you're no worse off.

I don't know if that other section unscrews from the main body.

What do you see inside the valve?

I suspect the black seal is just an external o-ring

Here's a video to give a vague idea of what you might be in for in disassembly. Non-Jaguar but, still, it's might help.

Skip the first 6 minutes

Cheers
DD

Cheers
DD

Old 08-29-2019, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

The item in questions is a PRV or pressure reducing valve and should be left in place to prevent rear wheel lock up under heavy baking becasue ABS can only do so much. These have a rising rate so under light braking the rear curcuit would recieve about 95% of total system pressure for good feel and balance in everyday driving situations. But as pressure rises the rate of reduction increases. This is helpful under heavy braking. As the car's weight shifts forward the rear wheels will be more likely to lock and the rising rate of pressure reduction helps shift the brake bias forward in concert with the weight.

Last edited by icsamerica; 08-29-2019 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

JJJ
Before you lash out on a new one, I would try it without one - just insert a straight connector. I very much doubt it will make any difference at all. If it does, then you have to get one.
I think the Britpart springs will be fine.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Doug (08-30-2019), orangeblossom (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
So,,, what do folks think of this set? It's less than $40 bucks shipping for a set of 4 to the US... Is "quality aftermarket" just too risky? I worry about spending the doe,,, then changing the springs and shocks,,, just to end up with the same ride height issue. These finicky cars, lol

Sorry... I know this is an unrelated topic for this thread. But these. What say you?

https://www.britishparts.co.uk/class...4/spring-p5717
JJJ
These springs should be fine.
As to the valve, if you cannot fix it, try using a straight connector and see what the brakes feel like. I would not be surprised if you find no difference. If the rears do lock up a bit too frequently, fit some harder pads in the rear, or softer ones in the front. Harder pads heat up more slowly, so grab less fast on application than soft ones do.

JayJagJay (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

JJJ
These springs should be fine.
As to the valve, if you cannot fix it, try using a straight connector and see what the brakes feel like. I would not be surprised if you find no difference. If the rears do lock up a bit too frequently, fit some harder pads in the rear, or softer ones in the front. Harder pads heat up more slowly, so grab less fast on application than soft ones do.
Greg, thank you... I like that suggestion and was considering it as well.

Thankfully I installed a set O fosseway speed bleeders and this isn't killing me in the bleeding procedure. They have paid for themselves 5times already!

When I got the part off,,, simple spin of the fittings on both sides,,, I blew thru it in both directions and, using my mouth (not much pressure) I tried to create a vacuum and positive pressure to see if it would hold or if I noticed a slow decrease in positive or negative pressure. Found neither. Of course I couldn't produce much with my mouth. Also, to my surprise, both with the 24mm larger section off and with it on - I could blow air straight thru in both directions - no resistance... Thru the smaller section, I could see light - straight thru it. BS... Maybe with liquid it would behave differently?

I didn't test it but,,, one side of the of the component is a male thread, the other a female and, I THINK, that if remove the component, I'll be able to thread what's left, one line to the other. Straight shot. But I don't know that yet.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to make a difference either without it. At the same time, I don't want to get in the habit of taking all kinds of short cuts with this ol girl... They accumulate - if you know what I mean? I did find some BMW parts for 60-70 bucks. But between a 30+ yo Porsche,,, a 20yo xk8 and now a 30yo XJS $$$ wise it's death (bankruptcy) by 1000 cuts, lol

The news about the SPRINGS is great news($$$)! Great news. After I wash her up and I'm not embarrassed (first bath in a long long time for her) I will send some snaps of the rear end to show rear leaning sag. I hope these springs will adjust for that. I hope.

Doug, ICS and Greg,,, thank you all so much for your attention!

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-30-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

JJJ
I completely understand about not bodging up things on the car. However, I suspect your valve has in fact been doing nothing at all, anyway. I would try it without and see.

JayJagJay (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

JJJ
I completely understand about not bodging up things on the car. However, I suspect your valve has in fact been doing nothing at all, anyway.

Quite possible. It's pretty common to find these devices inoperative; whatever little pistons, springs, valves, and seals are inside have disintegrated or seized years ago. They're a rather common source of discussion on various old car forums.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (08-31-2019), JayJagJay (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you both. Reassurance matters, lol... I intend to go and get myself a simple connector as soon as I get out of work!

Springs, as soon as possible! Then Boges

Old 08-31-2019, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you both. Reassurance matters, lol... I intend to go and get myself a simple connector as soon as I get out of work!

Springs, as soon as possible! Then Boges
JJJ
Good decision, you will probably have to bleed the rears at least, make sure you know the ABS bleeding procedure.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hello Good People...

So, just a quick question (it's not an easy one). I am finding all kinds of delay and proportioning valves - from "Dorman for instance" and under $30-40... I think it would be a matter of finding right fittings IF I went this way.

What is the delay, or proportion, the stock valve would supply on braking pressure? If it could be a cheap thing,,, I'd rather be with it than without it if it were possible... Repeat,,, IF possible and not a nightmare

Last edited by JayJagJay; 09-03-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

What is the delay, or proportion, the stock valve would supply on braking pressure?

I've never seen the spec published. Someone might chime in with an answer, though.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hello Good People...

So, just a quick question (it's not an easy one). I am finding all kinds of delay and proportioning valves - from "Dorman for instance" and under $30-40... I think it would be a matter of finding right fittings IF I went this way.

What is the delay, or proportion, the stock valve would supply on braking pressure? If it could be a cheap thing,,, I'd rather be with it than without it if it were possible... Repeat,,, IF possible and not a nightmare
JJJ
Give it a try without. I will send you a beer token if you notice any difference at all.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

JJJ
Give it a try without. I will send you a beer token if you notice any difference at all.
Haha!!! Ok, I will... I need to stop being so hard headed!!!

Recommend a good pipe tobacco I should try!!! Invite me to France to TEST drive your XJ-S, haha... Lol,,, I don't drink beer (loooong short story),,, I been tell'n ya that 😆🤣😆😅

Greg in France (09-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 90 XJS Brake Fluid Leak Brake Line Connector