XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

91 XJS Convertible Fuel Filter Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022 | 09:03 PM
|
Default 91 XJS Convertible Fuel Filter Failure

Car was sitting a couple years this last time. Was used briefly back then and had sat previously for 3-4 years.

It started right up after charging the battery, drive it about 5 miles and it developed a fuel leak at a fuel line reducer located in the wheel well. Other post…

In the process of fixing that, the fuel filter was unfastened from the trunk interior and jostled around a bit. When the trunk was put back together, the car will no longer start.

I pulled the outlet line from the fuel filter and this rusty colored mess poured out. The fuel that dribbled out of the inlet fuel line appeared to be normal looking.

I’m afraid the fuel filter had a major failure. Is there a steel spring in it that could have failed?? Is this rusty looking mess now in all my fuel lines headed towards the engine? In all the fuel rails and injectors??

I plan on checking the surge tank drain and see what comes out of it and using the pump to flush the line into the filter before putting it in place.

Where is a relatively easy place under the hood to both look for the rusty colored fuel AND be able to flush all the lines up to that point using the pump and new filter??

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 10-03-2022 | 07:11 AM

Filters in general have a shelf life. Either in the box in the store or in situ.
Shelf life in the store is deemed at 5 years. I gleaned that info about 7 years ago, before retiring after 55 years in Auto Spare Parts. Ryco, Wix, Cooper, Fram, etc, all gave the same time frame as a guide only.

My issues with stored cars, rare at best, is the fuel filter medium, the paper stuff inside breaks down. Various fuels, and quality of, alter the time frame.

Oil filters, not so bad, but it still happens.

I have had one only Jag in storage, and that was 1 year, almost, and an XJR-6. Never gave any thought to it, just took fresh fuel, and a new filter, and got the hands dirty. Engine oil and filter as a matter of "why not".

NOT related, but Diesel filters can be worse at this, as that system is design to be a runner almost 24/7.

I have read your other thread, and never come across that hose, maybe a market item we missed out on.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 10-03-2022 at 09:57 PM.